Yer an idiot!

Home of the traffic rant.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Yer an idiot!

Post by Grandan »

To the idiot who drove up valley Road N at 140 Km/hr. on Thursday evening I do not know what you were driving so I will not malign a car maker but when your tires are squealing as you round the corner from Valley onto Sexsmith you are definitely going too fast. I should mention that it is a blind corner and there are driveways on both sides along Sexsmith Road so what were you prepared to do if there was someone entering or exiting their driveway? That is a good way to kill someone! Get a brain you idiot!
Waste not
spooker

Post by spooker »

damama55 wrote:You know, I was thinking about the comment made about flicking ashes out a window. It may not be a big deal to some people, but, we all know how easy it is to accidentally drop something. The same goes for a butt. A person is NOT going to be able to stop in the middle of traffic to pick it up. Sooo, use a container with some water, put your ashes in it, and, if you accidentally do drop your cig butt, it will be in your vehicle, not outside where it could cause a fire and devastation. Simple solution.

Anyone who has smoked in a car (and I admit to this in the 90s) knows that sometimes the wind can rip the cherry off the tip when you flick the ashes off towards that tiny gap between the window and the frame ... that is just as bad as the whole butt going out, might burn out quicker but the wind has just fanned it hotter ...
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Steve-O wrote:
lightspeed wrote:I had pickup dudes bro force his way into my lane last night. Nice of you to give me the finger. Couldn't wait for the gap behind to just merge into. Had to accelerate and act all tough guy.

His lane was ending so I guess sheer desperation and panic in the midst of his stupidity at not looking further down the road forced his hand.

So if you saw his lane was ending, why not slow down and make a gap for him?

You describe the attitude I see every day on the roads here in Kelowna - "This is my space and if you want in, go behind me!".

Just drove back from Seattle this past weekend, and you know what drivers do there if you turn on your signal? They make a space for you. Little respect and courtesy and you may find your drive becomes a little less of a headache.

Guy rolled past me on the right. I'd assume he was making that right turn where it splits and is divided by a green bike lane. But no. He wants my space.

I'll let anyone in who's confused or lost or just made a bad call.

Not when they're aggressive donkeys who try to force their way in, instead of just slowing and taking the (totally clear) gap behind. Guy knew what he was doing.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Anyone who has smoked in a car (and I admit to this in the 90s) knows that sometimes the wind can rip the cherry off the tip when you flick the ashes off towards that tiny gap between the window and the frame ... that is just as bad as the whole butt going out, might burn out quicker but the wind has just fanned it hotter ...
[/quote]

The "cherry tip" is as bad as the whole butt.....................you have to be kidding! "It might burn out faster".........NO, It WILL burn out faster. 40 plus years ago I had a course in University that included "Forest Fire Fighting and Control Management" and we spent a day trying to light fires in a controlled manner with very combustible material. I will tell you that we did manage to ignite a fire with a butt once. To do that we PLACED the butt pointed down in the pile so it would burn slightly longer. Ash, including your cherry tip was out in seconds after being dropped and we had plenty of people in our class that smoked......probably 3/4's of the class so volunteers to be careless smokers were plentiful. We also got a fire or smoldering started by placing a HOT chainsaw onto the material. Next time you see a vehicle parked running on the side of the road in these very dry conditions, give some consideration that there is a possibility of starting a fire. Lastly, broken glass could start a fire (smoldering) but it was VERY difficult to achieve.......too many variables.

Consumed alcohol was not included in any of our tests to skew the results and that is a variable to consider in these parts.
spooker

Post by spooker »

lesliepaul wrote:The "cherry tip" is as bad as the whole butt.....................you have to be kidding! "It might burn out faster".........NO, It WILL burn out faster. 40 plus years ago I had a course in University that included "Forest Fire Fighting and Control Management" and we spent a day trying to light fires in a controlled manner with very combustible material. I will tell you that we did manage to ignite a fire with a butt once. To do that we PLACED the butt pointed down in the pile so it would burn slightly longer. Ash, including your cherry tip was out in seconds after being dropped and we had plenty of people in our class that smoked......probably 3/4's of the class so volunteers to be careless smokers were plentiful. We also got a fire or smoldering started by placing a HOT chainsaw onto the material. Next time you see a vehicle parked running on the side of the road in these very dry conditions, give some consideration that there is a possibility of starting a fire. Lastly, broken glass could start a fire (smoldering) but it was VERY difficult to achieve.......too many variables.

Consumed alcohol was not included in any of our tests to skew the results and that is a variable to consider in these parts.

a) Are you saying that we shouldn't really care since it's so tough to start a forest fire?
and
b) *removed* (I apologize to the mod that will edit this bit out)
Last edited by ferri on Sep 1st, 2017, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

There is big difference in how long a cigarette will burn between now and the seventies.
One goes out on its own quicker.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

a) Are you saying that we shouldn't really care since it's so tough to start a forest fire?
and
b) *removed* (I apologize to the mod that will edit this bit out)
[/quote]

Lets go look.................no, I did not say that...........you surmised that. I explained something so that some folks do not go ballistic over "cigarette ash". Now get back to defending ALL cyclists in the "Spandex" thread.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So I wonder if the Motorcycle rider who had a cigarette in his mouth while traveling will put it out before he flings it?
I'm pretty sure Harleys don't come with ash trays.

Pretty sure he is in the idiot category.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Bsuds wrote:So I wonder if the Motorcycle rider who had a cigarette in his mouth while traveling will put it out before he flings it?

Ohhh that makes me want to carry a supersoaker when I'm a passenger.

Hehe, yeeeahhhhh..... to anyone tapping out the window: "here, lemme give you a hand with that *whhooooshhhhh*"
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bsuds wrote:So I wonder if the Motorcycle rider who had a cigarette in his mouth while traveling will put it out before he flings it?

??? You really think a smoke will last any longer than 45 seconds at any speed over 30 kmph ?

Wow ..

It's more than a "probability" that the biker would get ash is his eyes and crash because they can't see after the second drag IF they could smoke while riding ..... I doubt the physics support any possibility of smoking while riding over 15 K.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
spooker

Post by spooker »

To the Harley rider who decided to use the shoulder as a traffic bypass between Boucherie and Westlake on Friday afternoon ... so sorry you had to get back into traffic since I was blocking your way ... but it was fun seeing how you decided to weave in and out and just barely beat me to the intersection ... (I was the guy on the bicycle)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

MAPearce wrote:

??? You really think a smoke will last any longer than 45 seconds at any speed over 30 kmph ?

Wow ..

It's more than a "probability" that the biker would get ash is his eyes and crash because they can't see after the second drag IF they could smoke while riding ..... I doubt the physics support any possibility of smoking while riding over 15 K.

So that would make him a double idiot.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Last summer I watched an older guy on an atv ripping down a forestry road with a big stogie clamped between his teeth. Looked like someone was arc welding the tip of his nose the way ambers were flying off the cigar. Had to wonder if he was just fine with the pain, or was not feeling any pain at that point but will regret it in the morning.

Either way I believe that may qualify him as a triple idiot. :biggrin:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I see school has started again and with that the reduced speed limits in some school zones. Yesterday I looked up the date school starts and the site said September 5.........I then left notes by family members car keys reminding them to be wary when they leave the house this morning. What do I see on Castanets front page 20 minutes ago...........a story that school is back in session with a picture of a Kelowna Traffic Services officer with a laser gun. This was put up by Castanet at 11:27 AM THIS MORNING..........over 4 hours AFTER school speed signs indicate.

Should this REMINDER not have been put on the headlines like............ahhhh............YESTERDAY?

Thanks Castanet for providing this info in a timely manner............YER IDIOTS!
spooker

Post by spooker »

lesliepaul wrote:I see school has started again and with that the reduced speed limits in some school zones. Yesterday I looked up the date school starts and the site said September 5.........I then left notes by family members car keys reminding them to be wary when they leave the house this morning. What do I see on Castanets front page 20 minutes ago...........a story that school is back in session with a picture of a Kelowna Traffic Services officer with a laser gun. This was put up by Castanet at 11:27 AM THIS MORNING..........over 4 hours AFTER school speed signs indicate.

Should this REMINDER not have been put on the headlines like............ahhhh............YESTERDAY?

Thanks Castanet for providing this info in a timely manner............YER IDIOTS!

It was good for you to provide the reminder service to your family ...

You would think that adults could handle knowing when school will start if it is going to affect them (either by having kids or having to drive in areas where there will be children) (you're a good example of someone being responsible) ... I don't depend on Castanet (nor other source) to set my calendar ...

Plus, the story was a reaction to the fact that speeders were being caught in school zones, earlier and we'd be saying that Castanet was causing it, or asking for the next lottery numbers from whoever wrote it ... people like reading about idiots out there who don't pay attention to things ... makes them feel better about their own mistakes (personal theory) ... people don't like reading about what they should be doing even if it is a helpful idea ...

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”