Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by Gixxer »

That is a pet peeve of mine too, but some drivers are just slow making that left turn at a controlled light.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

And add in the red light runners turning from the other direction. It all just adds up to ultimate buffoonery.
I birn quil I se
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Gixxer wrote:I still dont get how being stopped at a red light in bumper to bumper traffic is considered distracted driver.....

And there's the problem, yet another person that doesn't "get" the law, or prefers to interpret it at their own discretion.

Read the law as it is written, and then hopefully, you will "get" it... If not, I guess you can just fall into the category of those that don't "get it"

The law
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tell the Officer who is giving you a ticket..."Gee but I wasn't moving, I was only sitting at the light"!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

atenbacon wrote:
And there's the problem, yet another person that doesn't "get" the law, or prefers to interpret it at their own discretion.

Read the law as it is written, and then hopefully, you will "get" it... If not, I guess you can just fall into the category of those that don't "get it"

The law

I get the law, and I understand it fully that's why I dont use my phone while in my vehicle. What I'm saying is, its stupid that the distracted driving law applies while stopped at a red light in bumper to bumper traffic.

Its like the person that goes and passes out in their vehicle in a parking lot because they know they're to drunk drive but still get charged for a DUI.

Do you "get it now"?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Gixxer wrote:
I get the law, and I understand it fully that's why I dont use my phone while in my vehicle. What I'm saying is, its stupid that the distracted driving law applies while stopped at a red light in bumper to bumper traffic.

Because you are still in traffic and your attention is now on your phone and not at operating a motor vehicle. Your vehicle might start rolling and you won't notice it. The light turns green and you don't notice it until the car behind you honks their horn, then you panic and make an abrupt move forward without scanning the surroundings for any potential hazards. While you start moving, your attention is still with your phone because you haven't finished your text before.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Gixxer wrote:I get the law, and I understand it fully that's why I dont use my phone while in my vehicle. What I'm saying is, its stupid that the distracted driving law applies while stopped at a red light in bumper to bumper traffic.

Do you "get it now"?

Thanks for clarifying, I can certainly say that I "get it now". My statement was based on your original comment, which was about a motorcycle cop pulling over distracted drivers that were disobeying the law. You went on to compare it to looking down at a radio, fixing makeup and looking at scenery. Those are all things that could also be considered distracted driving in certain cases, but not so clearly defined as using a cellular phone is. It's nice of you to clarify that you feel it is a stupid law, and even better that you don't use a phone in the car, but your opinion has no bearing on what the law is. To finish your comments by saying the cop should be pulling over people in the actual act of driving and using a phone simply puts you into the category of those that don't understand the law. Now that you have clarified our opinion, I can see that it's a law you disagree with, too bad I say, because in my opinion it is a good law that needs to be enforced.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

atenbacon wrote:
Thanks for clarifying, I can certainly say that I "get it now". My statement was based on your original comment, which was about a motorcycle cop pulling over distracted drivers that were disobeying the law. You went on to compare it to looking down at a radio, fixing makeup and looking at scenery. Those are all things that could also be considered distracted driving in certain cases, but not so clearly defined as using a cellular phone is. It's nice of you to clarify that you feel it is a stupid law, and even better that you don't use a phone in the car, but your opinion has no bearing on what the law is. To finish your comments by saying the cop should be pulling over people in the actual act of driving and using a phone simply puts you into the category of those that don't understand the law. Now that you have clarified our opinion, I can see that it's a law you disagree with, too bad I say, because in my opinion it is a good law that needs to be enforced.

The law should focus on safety and not revenue generation. Ticketing stopped drivers is not about safety. The cops and the province just found another way to generate revenue. It's stupid, lazy and what I've come to expect from our governments.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

And thanks to all the idiot drivers out there they can make revenue to help pay their salaries. They should do it more and we could afford more officers for more patrols. If people want to break the law they should pay.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Smurf wrote:And thanks to all the idiot drivers out there they can make revenue to help pay their salaries. They should do it more and we could afford more officers for more patrols. If people want to break the law they should pay.

The law shouldn't be an *bleep*.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

its not-
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Believe me it is not the law that is the *bleep*. and the laws are definitely not the stupid ones. The laws just need to be a lot tougher and I'm sure they will be once their public consultation is over. Hopefully at least as high as Ontario.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Tacklewasher wrote:The law shouldn't be an *bleep*.

With the evident lack of enforcement with many issues, it is plain to see that the "shouldn't be an *bleep*" theory is failing miserably. I believe that they should be in your face, around the corner and enforcing the law. It's not about generating revenue, but deterring those that are breaking the law. Fines are a deterrent, not a revenue stream.

And maybe that is where they need to rethink things, maybe by contracting out fine based regulations as a percentage based compensation program. I would be happy to see a progressive fine system in place for distracted driving, and speeding as well. You should be driving with the feeling that at any second a police officer may catch you speeding/texting etc... That certainly has not been the case for many... many years.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

There will always be those that defend stupidity they are simply those that have failed to evolve !
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

atenbacon wrote: With the evident lack of enforcement with many issues, it is plain to see that the "shouldn't be an *bleep*" theory is failing miserably. I believe that they should be in your face, around the corner and enforcing the law. It's not about generating revenue, but deterring those that are breaking the law. Fines are a deterrent, not a revenue stream.

And maybe that is where they need to rethink things, maybe by contracting out fine based regulations as a percentage based compensation program. I would be happy to see a progressive fine system in place for distracted driving, and speeding as well. You should be driving with the feeling that at any second a police officer may catch you speeding/texting etc... That certainly has not been the case for many... many years.

I don't think progressive fines are the answer. Take the car and the phone. All done.
Once someone pays out for a second car and phone they won't make that mistake again, and just think, peeps will not want to lose a car and a phone for such a stupid thing as a phone call. The auctioning of the cars will more then help insurances pay up those already injured by such accidents.
If we are injured over a phone call we should be covered well for the rest of our lives by those causing it. Maybe make them do our home duties, like lawn mowing, wiping our *bleep* if we are suddenly unable because of their stupidness. I know, impossible but there has to be more ownership of your foolishness to cause others harm.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”