Winter Driving & Tires

Home of the traffic rant.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Winter Driving & Tires

Post by dirtybiker »

my5cents wrote:Exactly it states in the specs for slower than walking speed. For the bus trying to eat it's way up a hill etc.

Having said that, they'd have to be tested out to make sure they work as described

Pretty sure they are already in use in our area, Heard a Fire Engine in Lake Country the other day
with the tell-tale clanking of chains, but not visibly chained up.

As for chaining up most buses and Fire Engines with traditional chains.

You need access to the tires, and wheel opening clearance. neither have this.

Next time you see one in person you will see that traditional chains are quite out of the question.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Primarily the subject was brought up by the City of Vancouver where there were problems with many vehicles without snow tires. They also had quite a problem with their buses. One could understand the reluctance of many not to install snow tires, when during many winters Vancouver has little or no snow.

If strict enforcement of existing, or a new law, requiring the use of appropriate tires at times of snow took place bus driver could not be made exempt.

With the number of buses and the amount of snow they generally don't get, snow tires would be extremely expensive considering the limited benefits. Chains also would be, for many reasons, inappropriate.

I wasn't aware of the difficulty there was in installing chains on buses, but even if buses were no more difficult than trucks, installing and uninstalling chains on so many buses would be prohibitive. Certainly bus drivers would not be doing the work, no question there.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

A Jeep crashed and landed on its roof on Naramata Road early Saturday morning, and the driver fled the scene.

Naramata Fire Rescue responded to a single vehicle roll over on the 2200 block of Naramata Road at about 3 a.m.

Fire chief Tony Trovao said the Jeep lost control and landed on its roof, before the driver fled the scene.

The vehicle has Alberta plates.

Castanet will provide more details as they become available.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... -roll-over
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

My KO2's are doing their job well again this year. I won't be buying any other tire anytime soon.

I drove to Vernon last week when the roads were particularly hairy and saw 5 vehicles rolled in the ditch.
All of them were cars. Slow down people.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bumped up
It’s as good a time as any to bring up the yearly debate about tires and Winter conditions, plus Castanet has an article.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/347369 ... s-of-Oct-1

So fire away

btw I like to recycle old threads, if anyone curious why I say bumped up.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote: Oct 1st, 2021, 8:33 pm bumped up
It’s as good a time as any to bring up the yearly debate about tires and Winter conditions, plus Castanet has an article.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/347369 ... s-of-Oct-1

So fire away

btw I like to recycle old threads, if anyone curious why I say bumped up.
I thought you were recycling old treads. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I recycle ALL my old threads every week, except I call it laundry day.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bumped up

imho all season tires are very poor choice in regards to winter conditions. Winter tires are highly recommend for winter conditions, also All Weather and many of the All terrain tires.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/3923 ... hicle-yet-
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Got em on. Heading north tomorrow and hoping for dry roads.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
westernrider
Fledgling

Post by westernrider »

GordonH wrote: Oct 24th, 2022, 7:43 pm Bumped up

imho all season tires are very poor choice in regards to winter conditions. Winter tires are highly recommend for winter conditions, also All Weather and many of the All terrain tires.

I bought actual winter tires this year because I''ll be driving back and forth to Vancouver this winter. My all-seasons are marked with the M+S symbol which technically makes them legal on the Coq but it just felt much wiser/safer to buy the real things.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

westernrider wrote: Oct 24th, 2022, 11:55 pm
GordonH wrote: Oct 24th, 2022, 7:43 pm Bumped up

I bought actual winter tires this year because I''ll be driving back and forth to Vancouver this winter. My all-seasons are marked with the M+S symbol which technically makes them legal on the Coq but it just felt much wiser/safer to buy the real things.
:up: :up:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Just put the studded snowies on the better halfs Crosstreck. She's ready for the Hope princeton now.

First time I've used my battery 1/2" impact gun. Worked like a charm, broke all the nuts free and snugged them up nicely. Used the tourque wrench to set them.
Repeat next April I guess....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

seewood wrote: Nov 2nd, 2022, 3:55 pm Just put the studded snowies on the better halfs Crosstreck. She's ready for the Hope princeton now.

First time I've used my battery 1/2" impact gun. Worked like a charm, broke all the nuts free and snugged them up nicely. Used the tourque wrench to set them.
Repeat next April I guess....
So it's your fault?
snowfallwarnin g.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

seewood wrote: Nov 2nd, 2022, 3:55 pm Just put the studded snowies on the better halfs Crosstreck. She's ready for the Hope princeton now.
Great for packed snow/icy conditions but not my preference for anything else.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 2nd, 2022, 4:10 pm
Great for packed snow/icy conditions but not my preference for anything else.
Reminds me of wearing "blakys" in high school. :132: :138:
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”