Winter Driving & Tires

Home of the traffic rant.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Winter Driving & Tires

Post by lightspeed »

w84u2 wrote:
Why not? As soon as there is the slightest dusting of snow on the parking lots, it's a free for all and there are no such things as parking space dividing markers anymore. Even the handicapped spaces are no longer protected from idiots.

That made me laugh. But so true.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

lesliepaul wrote:Looked into All-Weather tires several years ago........like ANY ice (winter) radial their enemy is heat. The Okanagan is too hot to run All-Weather tires and expect remotely decent tire life. If you live in Calgary or Vancouver you could run them since they do not get the heat of the Okanagan. Today, having a "dedicated" winter tire works better than the All-Weather. I understand the convenience of a year round tire but tire technology for All-Weather is still early.

Its funny how 30 years ago regular All Season tires worked pretty good in snow. I had no problem getting up to Big White and travelling across the Prairies during the winter. Slowly over time All Seasons "lost" much of their winter capabilities. Rubber technology changes and I have to wonder if tire companies did this deliberately to get as many people as possible into 2 sets of tires. Again, I am not against having dedicated winters and they do work better than ANY All Season today (I have them on 2 vehicles)........but.......things have changed in the tire industry and not always for the better.

I have in the last 6 years gone through 2 sets of A/T tires on my 1/2 ton.......first set showed massive wear at 30,000 KM and current set just over 40,000 KM and are getting close. 10 years ago the same tires got me over 90,000 KM. These are brand name and not cheap. Will be bringing this to the brands attention very soon........AGAIN.

Used to just put winters on the rear axle when I was younger.
Dick Cepek FCII, I've got almost a 100,000 km's on them on my one ton and still plenty of tread left. I like the BF GOODRICH T/A KO2, used to always go to those but couldn't get them with an E weight rating at the time I bought the Dick Cepek tires.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

These are currently on my car Nokian Hakkapeliitta, I've never had any problems in any winter conditions.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I have the Nokian all weather, and despite what people say, they are awesome. If they do not meet the 100,000 km rating, you get a rebate on your next set, so who cares if they wear down in the Okanagan. Kal Tire uses the Chinese non-rated all weather tires on their trucks, and they would know if they aren't worth it.

The reason I rotate the tires is so I get a free inspection on the vehicle.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Only 1 Province is winter tires mandatory, that is Quebec and stats shows large drop in major injuries & deaths.
http://globalnews.ca/video/3122820/shou ... andatory-2
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Eye of the Tiger

Post by Eye of the Tiger »

GordonH wrote:These are currently on my car Nokian Hakkapeliitta, I've never had any problems in any winter conditions.

hands down the best winter money can buy
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/184496/ ... Coquihalla

The clip from CTV begs the question how many were using all season tires instead of winters.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

GordonH wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/184496/Chaos-on-Coquihalla

The clip from CTV begs the question how many were using all season tires instead of winters.

But all seasons are "cheaper" right?

Hopefully anyone who has come adrift driving on cheap AS tires will now realize that a high quality dedicated winter makes such a difference. It's why experienced drivers espouse the benefits of a good winter tire. The only thing in contact with the road surface is your rubber.

Most of the goofs getting stuck were probably a) inexperienced b) in a two wheel drive car c) running cheap AS tires and failed to appreciate how bad the mountain passes can be. The conditions can be extremely challenging. You sometimes need experience AND the confidence to make it through adverse conditions.

Did they check the weather forecast, pack emergency/survival equipment, or rethink their journey? Most likely, not.

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ After checking set of 4 winters 15" (installed, balanced with new stems plus all taxes) for $560.

Just have look for them, they are out there
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:^^^ After checking set of 4 winters 15" (installed, balanced with new stems plus all taxes) for $560.

Just have look for them, they are out there

anyone interesting on this just PM me for a link (tire size is 185/60R15)
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Everyone pulled over/stranded had all seasons.

Watching that crossover spin out was painful and I feel people like that should be fined. Consider how much "control" they have once they get going down the opposite side or even on straight stretches, especially with the 4WD SUV confidence. 100km/hr SUV curling rock death bombs.

I was hoping someone would comment on the clip as a example of why all seasons are unacceptable as far as mountain passes go. Former Kootenay driver.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I was supposed to drive my wife to YVR yesterday and come back today, but at the last second we've decided to buy her a plane ticket for this morning so she can fly there.

Best $200 I've ever spent!!!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Good grief.
I can't believe peeps are so foolish to drive thru the mountains with all season tires.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Many years ago coming back to Kelowna from the Lower mainland in the Late Feb.
or early March.
Volvo turbo wagon RWD with new BFG All Seasons. Raining below the snowshed,
snowing hard on exit. A very hairy run up the hill!
On cresting the summit after much slither and slide, had to stop and calm my nerves.

When worked our way to Merritt where it was all good again.
I chose to not risk the same on the Connector and went down to Princeton and around.

Our vehicles all have dedicated winter tires since then.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

dirtybiker wrote:Many years ago coming back to Kelowna from the Lower mainland in the Late Feb.
or early March.
Volvo turbo wagon RWD with new BFG All Seasons. Raining below the snowshed,
snowing hard on exit. A very hairy run up the hill!
On cresting the summit after much slither and slide, had to stop and calm my nerves.

When worked our way to Merritt where it was all good again.
I chose to not risk the same on the Connector and went down to Princeton and around.

Our vehicles all have dedicated winter tires since then.

Good tale. That's driving experience....learning and adapting for a better situation. I wonder how many of the people stuck on the Coke with their "3 season tires" adapt and buy new winter tires in October 2017?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”