Winter Driving & Tires

Home of the traffic rant.
robtr31

Re: Winter Driving & Tires

Post by robtr31 »

Glacier wrote:But then you have to have three sets of tires (if you already have summer tires and studded winter tires). Think of all the extra greenhouse gases getting produced as a result.

I use studded tires in winter when it get warmer I put on the all seasons , I never buy just summer tires , mostly all season tires are M+S rated tires with snow flake , just not great when below 0 and winter tires last longer because of soft rubber
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

robtr31 wrote:
Glacier wrote:But then you have to have three sets of tires (if you already have summer tires and studded winter tires). Think of all the extra greenhouse gases getting produced as a result.

I use studded tires in winter when it get warmer I put on the all seasons , I never buy just summer tires , mostly all season tires are M+S rated tires with snow flake , just not great when below 0 and winter tires last longer because of soft rubber

The highest quality winter tires don't last as long, due to the soft rubber (and higher content of actual rubber) that gives you so much good traction, and the amount of extra sipes and pressure building air pockets that force water and mush off the tire surface. They also wear quicker and easier. Dry pavement, aggressive cornering, and high speed eats them.

Lower quality winter tires tend to last longer. Their performance is significantly and noticeably worse. Not a good attribute. Might as well buy tires that actually perform the job intended. But people think they are getting a "bargain".
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

It's a matter of "You get what you pay for" winter tires.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Drove my car (rwd posi) with 15 yo all seasons a couple times when the roads were sketchy. I had no issues getting around took my time did the speed limit (50kph) sometimes went down to 40. The other drivers were the issue, speeding, not braking early, not giving space to merge into lane (some doing 60-70kph). Why did i go out, cause i needed some milk from the store :D Also i would never ever attempt to drive on the highway or mountain pass with these tires, light in town driving when the roads are decent is good enough for me.
Now when i get a proper winter beater it will have winter tires on it, cause it's no fun when you spin out trying to have fun in a parking lot :D
Myhome

Post by Myhome »

Good God people go with tires just meant for winter.
BC with eventually pass a law that winter tires are mandatory, Ontario has such a law, Manitoba's law is in the works. Winter tires are far superior to all seasons, mine save my life this week so their cost was worth it.

Does BC have a winter tire purchase plan like Manitoba does?

The best part is that your all seasons last years longer if you have the winters on rims and change them over Nov. 1st.
My all seasons have lasted 5 years and will probably get 2 more summers out of them, the winters are only four years old and are still 7/32 ( new are 8/32).

I'm retired and don't intend to go on mountain roads, if I need to go back for any reason, I'll go through the states.

btw you haven't lived till you get in the stretch between Winnipeg and Brandon, it starts to sleet and freeze with a 20km wind, nothing for 50 miles and you have all seasons on ;-) Then you hear on the radio that the RCMP have closed the highway.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

TheBoss wrote:Drove my car (rwd posi) with 15 yo all seasons a couple times when the roads were sketchy. I had no issues getting around took my time did the speed limit (50kph) sometimes went down to 40. The other drivers were the issue, speeding, not braking early, not giving space to merge into lane (some doing 60-70kph). Why did i go out, cause i needed some milk from the store :D Also i would never ever attempt to drive on the highway or mountain pass with these tires, light in town driving when the roads are decent is good enough for me.
Now when i get a proper winter beater it will have winter tires on it, cause it's no fun when you spin out trying to have fun in a parking lot :D

If your luck runs out, ICBC will ensure it REALLY runs out. You will be cited as partly at fault, no matter what the other guy did or didn't do.

I've got great Winters and stil have issues on solid ice and I don't even speed.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Queen K wrote:If your luck runs out, ICBC will ensure it REALLY runs out. You will be cited as partly at fault, no matter what the other guy did or didn't do.

I've got great Winters and stil have issues on solid ice and I don't even speed.

I was going to post something about snow tire usage and enforcement, and saw your post Queen K. This, or similar such posts, stating that "if you are in an accident, ICBC will assess blame (depending on the story, the liability varies) against you because of your tires. I've even seen posts stating if you don't have snow tires ICBC won't cover you.

Wrong, wrong wrong.

Liability is assessed on what happened. I you had bald summer tires and were stopped and got hit, the person who hit you would be at fault. If you had the best tires in the world and lost control because the road was so slippery that you couldn't even stand up on the roadway, you are at fault.

It's all about "proximate cause".

I remember someone complaining that they blew a red light and got hit by a stolen car going through on the green. The stolen car then took off. The driver of the vehicle that blew the light couldn't understand how they could be at fault.

(in other words there are lots of misconceptions out there)

Anyway. There is lots of talk about various jurisdiction ticketing drivers for not having snow tires, even when driving in the city.

OK,,, then what about busses ? The deputy mayor of Vancouver last night on the news was saying they are thinking of some type of ticketing scheme.

There is NO WAY transit could afford to equip all it's busses with snow tires and then switch them over. So a bus drivers would be exempt when they get stuck on a hill ? But you, a citizen would get a ticket ? I don't think so. You just know that IF bus drivers were issued tickets for not having snow tires on their busses, they would just refuse to drive their non-snow tired busses in snow.

Don't know what the solution would/should be
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

my5cents wrote:
OK,,, then what about busses ? The deputy mayor of Vancouver last night on the news was saying they are thinking of some type of ticketing scheme.

There is NO WAY transit could afford to equip all it's busses with snow tires and then switch them over. So a bus drivers would be exempt when they get stuck on a hill ? But you, a citizen would get a ticket ? I don't think so. You just know that IF bus drivers were issued tickets for not having snow tires on their busses, they would just refuse to drive their non-snow tired busses in snow.

Don't know what the solution would/should be

There is this.
http://www.rud.com/en/products/tyre-cha ... ogrip.html
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Quite the product.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

my5cents wrote:

Quite the product.

GARBAGE !!!!!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

LTD wrote:
GARBAGE !!!!!

For OTR (Over The Road) highway applications, I agree.

For Fire Engines, Ambulances, Buses, and other Municipal Vehicles,
they are proving to work reasonably well.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Tire chains cost would be amortized over time. Just an upfront cost to begin with. They should last seasons unless they are put on wrong by idiots.

Even fat lazy transit drivers with cabbage between their ears could put on a set of light duty commercial tire chains. Storage might be an issue but I'm pretty sure they could be put on at the transit depot for the duration of snow and ice.

my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

dirtybiker wrote:For OTR (Over The Road) highway applications, I agree.

For Fire Engines, Ambulances, Buses, and other Municipal Vehicles,
they are proving to work reasonably well.

Exactly it states in the specs for slower than walking speed. For the bus trying to eat it's way up a hill etc.

Having said that, they'd have to be tested out to make sure they work as described
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

lightspeed wrote:Tire chains cost would be amortized over time. Just an upfront cost to begin with. They should last seasons unless they are put on wrong by idiots.

Even fat lazy transit drivers with cabbage between their ears could put on a set of light duty commercial tire chains. Storage might be an issue but I'm pretty sure they could be put on at the transit depot for the duration of snow and ice.

I couldn't see a bus driver, with their union, installing tire chains on a bus.

The type of snow Vancr generally gets is not generally suitable for tire chains. The roads in many locations are covered with slush and a thin layer of ice. Normal tire chains, I suspect wouldn't last long.

If the Rotogrip system works it might fit the bill, being temporary help up an incline, then retracted.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

my5cents wrote:
lightspeed wrote:Tire chains cost would be amortized over time. Just an upfront cost to begin with. They should last seasons unless they are put on wrong by idiots.

I couldn't see a bus driver, with their union, installing tire chains on a bus.

The type of snow Vancr generally gets is not generally suitable for tire chains. The roads in many locations are covered with slush and a thin layer of ice. Normal tire chains, I suspect wouldn't last long.

If the Rotogrip system works it might fit the bill, being temporary help up an incline, then retracted.

I'm talking commercial grade tire chains, not the junk from Princess Auto or Cambodian Tire.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”