Traffic circle at Valley and Cross in Glenmore

Home of the traffic rant.
ken531a
Fledgling

Re: Traffic circle at Valley and Cross in Glenmore

Post by ken531a »

The work hours are probably because of the rest home directly across the street. night work would be to disturbing for the elderly
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Grandan wrote:It's a beauty of a thing that new traffic circle. Well it will be when complete. The thing that picks me is that the contractor doing the work is not working overtime to get it done. No late days working, no weekend work, no night work just show up like it's just another job site.
The amount of traffic and inconvenience that the construction of the traffic circle has created is mind numbing. Surely with a bit of imagination the construction could have been done in phases and allowed some traffic through albeit more slowly.
Just about every construction project allows for the movement of some traffic through it and keep the disruptions to a minimum, not this one. The worst of it is the heavy trucks being diverted through the Valley Road N off Sexsmith, not nice.
The contract should have had better management of traffic than is being shown. The road closure should have been on the condition that the contractor worked around the clock to get it done. You sure would not see anything like this along a major highway. A lump of coal to the project manager on this one.

so the contractor should have to pay overtime and force his people to work weekends because you're inconvenienced a lump of coal to you bud . if its that big of an issue blame the city they would be the ones who approved the temporary truck route time to get over it its not permanent and certainly not the contractors fault
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Grandan wrote:It's a beauty of a thing that new traffic circle. Well it will be when complete. The thing that picks me is that the contractor doing the work is not working overtime to get it done. No late days working, no weekend work, no night work just show up like it's just another job site.
The amount of traffic and inconvenience that the construction of the traffic circle has created is mind numbing. Surely with a bit of imagination the construction could have been done in phases and allowed some traffic through albeit more slowly.
Just about every construction project allows for the movement of some traffic through it and keep the disruptions to a minimum, not this one. The worst of it is the heavy trucks being diverted through the Valley Road N off Sexsmith, not nice.
The contract should have had better management of traffic than is being shown. The road closure should have been on the condition that the contractor worked around the clock to get it done. You sure would not see anything like this along a major highway. A lump of coal to the project manager on this one.

LTD wrote:so the contractor should have to pay overtime and force his people to work weekends because you're inconvenienced a lump of coal to you bud . if its that big of an issue blame the city they would be the ones who approved the temporary truck route time to get over it its not permanent and certainly not the contractors fault so the contractor should have to pay overtime and force his people to work weekends because you're inconvenienced a lump of coal to you bud . if its that big of an issue blame the city they would be the ones who approved the temporary truck route time to get over it its not permanent and certainly not the contractors fault

Thousands of contracts the world over require work around the clock, it's not rare or unusual. The contract could have bet let with just that requirement but it was not.
It is not just me that is being inconvenienced, it's the whole neighbourhood and tens of thousands of motorists.
Work could have continued for much longer in the the day, it is summer after all. This is stupid having an intersection tied up for 3 months while the contractor is on the site less than 1/3 of the time.[/quote]
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

The curb and gutter is mostly in place and pavement is soon to arrive, Yeah!
Waste not
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

My sympathy to all of those affected by the road construction that seems to go on at one place or another all summer every summer. My sympathy also to those companies who have to bid low to get the contract and have to be frugal with labor to come in on budget and on time. As I understand it, it is pretty cut throat for such companies in the Okanagan.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

I thought it was common practice to always go over budget and hit the taxpayers.
wait till highway 97 is completed.
Dont know how many times there gonna pack that dirt down for paving around all them hydro poles.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I moved more dirt in less time with my broken Tonka truck when I was 7.
My excavator was a water ladle.

Even if daytime is their limiting factor, there seems to be some doggin' goin' on.
I was only let out of my kennel for a couple of hours a day.
I swear I did more than I see happening at that simple operation.

I'm betting all the shovels and rakes have pit stains on the ends from being leaned on.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

must be city of Kelowna doing it then :200:
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Graham Adder wrote:I moved more dirt in less time with my broken Tonka truck when I was 7.
My excavator was a water ladle.... Even if daytime is their limiting factor, there seems to be some doggin' goin' on.

Agreed - it seems like every project that the city has in flight - from Ethel Street N to Valley/Longhill - has a pretty darn long project duration. They also seem to finish right before the snow flies to boot! I mean, yes, that's the key cutoff for outdoor projects, but is there some sort of benefit to paving in September? I speculated that maybe cooler days and warmer nights made for a better curing process, but that felt like a stretch.....
spooker

Post by spooker »

marooned wrote:Agreed - it seems like every project that the city has in flight - from Ethel Street N to Valley/Longhill - has a pretty darn long project duration. They also seem to finish right before the snow flies to boot! I mean, yes, that's the key cutoff for outdoor projects, but is there some sort of benefit to paving in September? I speculated that maybe cooler days and warmer nights made for a better curing process, but that felt like a stretch.....

Work can be more consistent with better weather. They have an idea as to how long it's going to take so they plan it with the weather in mind and hope that it doesn't go over. Valley/Longhill looks like to come in under the estimate while Ethel Phase 2 looks to run a month longer than estimated. Last year Ethel Phase 1 ran a little over a month long and the first batch of sod that was laid on the boulevard was lost due to the freezing temps (plus they couldn't lay the markings for the cycle tracks until the spring.)

"No plan survives contact with the enemy" -- Helmuth von Moltke
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Its all paved now...but..Its probably getting a second layer..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Any update on when this 2 month ordeal is going to be complete?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Whyme2 wrote:Any update on when this 2 month ordeal is going to be complete?

It will be almost 3 months. It is a horror show. As a pedestrian, my wife is petrified by the amount and speed of the traffic.
There has been no apparent traffic calming, the Valley Road N Sexsmith corridor is a virtual highway with traffic averaging 80 km/ hr in a 50 zone. No extra policing and nobody gets pulled over because it is unsafe to do so. There are no sidewalks and for the entire summer there was double the traffic and all the truck traffic was routed through here. I am unhappy with the way this was handled. We see young boys horsing around on the side of the road while traffic is mere inches away. It has been unsafe particularly with the extra traffic, particularly trucks.
Waste not
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

They're down to a bit of brickwork, when that is finished they will be ready to go..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Aaron10

Post by Aaron10 »

What a surprise, today is September 30th (the posted deadline) and work has not been completed. Figure it out!!!!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”