Ambulance... dangerous driving?

Home of the traffic rant.
my5cents
Guru

Re: Ambulance... dangerous driving?

Post by my5cents »

ohgeeze wrote:Today while I was stopped at a red light at the corner of Elliot and Highway 97 in front of the Bus Loop, heading to Save On, an ambulance was coming up behind us. All traffic pulled to the right to let him/ her go by when all of a sudden they slammed on the brakes pulled a donut and started to head the other way. Is this legal?

I'm interested in why you asked this question.

Was the action of the ambulance such that you thought it was done without du\e regard for safety. or did you think that when their emergency equipment is activated they can only disobey certain parts of the motor vehicle act. ie, speed and go through red lights, but aren't allowed to make U-Turns ??

The section that governs the exemption for emergency vehicles is Sec 122 of the Motor Vehicle Act (a BC statute)

Exemption for emergency vehicles
    122 (1) Despite anything in this Part, but subject to subsections (2) and (4), a driver of an emergency vehicle may do the following:

(a) exceed the speed limit;

(b) proceed past a red traffic control signal or stop sign without stopping;

(c) disregard rules and traffic control devices governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions;

(d) stop or stand.

(2) The driver of an emergency vehicle must not exercise the privileges granted by subsection (1) except in accordance with the regulations.

(3) [Repealed 1997-30-2.]

(4) The driver of an emergency vehicle exercising a privilege granted by subsection (1) must drive with due regard for safety, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, including the following:

(a) the nature, condition and use of the highway;

(b) the amount of traffic that is on, or might reasonably be expected to be on, the highway;

(c) the nature of the use being made of the emergency vehicle at the time.
As you can see there is a responsibility on the driver of an emergency vehicle to take reasonable care while exercising the exemption.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”