Texting and driving in the Okanagan

Home of the traffic rant.
BrokenPencil
Fledgling

Texting and driving in the Okanagan

Post by BrokenPencil »

I have personally witnessed many people texting while driving. My son came home today and told me about a mid 20's woman in a silver 4 door 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix texting while driving from Tim Hortons in Westbank until Water St. where she turned left. He tried to tell her to quit texting because she was tailgating a truck and swerving into his lane at least 4 times. She gave him the finger and a dirty look. I don't understand why people think they are entitled to text and drive. She should have been embarrassed with her own behavior but instead lashed out at him. I think people who behave like this need to remember that they are the ones in the wrong. My son didn't get her license plate, and I told him next time call the police. He didn't have his phone, and he said mom I was driving I couldn't have called. Yes, had he his phone he could have pulled over. I have my doubts that anything would have been done by the police, would they have sent someone to investigate this and catch her? As I said I have my doubts. I hope that someone who knows this woman will read this and educate her.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Texting and driving in the Okanagan

Post by Hassel99 »

BrokenPencil wrote:I have personally witnessed many people texting while driving. My son came home today and told me about a mid 20's woman in a silver 4 door 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix texting while driving from Tim Hortons in Westbank until Water St. where she turned left. He tried to tell her to quit texting because she was tailgating a truck and swerving into his lane at least 4 times. She gave him the finger and a dirty look. I don't understand why people think they are entitled to text and drive. She should have been embarrassed with her own behavior but instead lashed out at him. I think people who behave like this need to remember that they are the ones in the wrong. My son didn't get her license plate, and I told him next time call the police. He didn't have his phone, and he said mom I was driving I couldn't have called. Yes, had he his phone he could have pulled over. I have my doubts that anything would have been done by the police, would they have sent someone to investigate this and catch her? As I said I have my doubts. I hope that someone who knows this woman will read this and educate her.

The irony is you don't seem to care how distracted your son was worrying/ yelling/finger wagging at this woman.

Sure she was in the wrong, but don't compound the problem by adding to it. Suggesting he call the police is LOL.

No part of defensive driving includes confronting other drivers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Hassel99 wrote:. Suggesting he call the police is LOL.

Pretty much the same as reporting a drunk driver. You could always tell them you don't know if they are drunk or texting but that they are driving erratically.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

BrokenPencil wrote:I have personally witnessed many people texting while driving. My son came home today and told me about a mid 20's woman in a silver 4 door 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix texting while driving from Tim Hortons in Westbank until Water St. where she turned left. He tried to tell her to quit texting because she was tailgating a truck and swerving into his lane at least 4 times. She gave him the finger and a dirty look. I don't understand why people think they are entitled to text and drive. She should have been embarrassed with her own behavior but instead lashed out at him. I think people who behave like this need to remember that they are the ones in the wrong. My son didn't get her license plate, and I told him next time call the police. He didn't have his phone, and he said mom I was driving I couldn't have called. Yes, had he his phone he could have pulled over. I have my doubts that anything would have been done by the police, would they have sent someone to investigate this and catch her? As I said I have my doubts. I hope that someone who knows this woman will read this and educate her.

just an other example of why most people are a waste of human skin,we can only hope when she kills herself texting and driving she hurts no one else
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

So, what is the universal sign for "put down the GD phone? I can't imagine too many gestures that would get someones attention besides a good solid blast of the horn. I started doing that but I can only do so when alone because of other factors.
How about a cardboard sign with a cellphone crossed out?
Waste not
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A long mechanical arm with a hand on the end to slap them might work!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Grandan wrote:So, what is the universal sign for "put down the GD phone? I can't imagine too many gestures that would get someones attention besides a good solid blast of the horn. I started doing that but I can only do so when alone because of other factors.

When stopped at a red light. Anything else is dangerous and/or distracted driving in itself.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Grandan wrote:So, what is the universal sign for "put down the GD phone? I can't imagine too many gestures that would get someones attention besides a good solid blast of the horn. I started doing that but I can only do so when alone because of other factors.

lightspeed wrote:
When stopped at a red light. Anything else is dangerous and/or distracted driving in itself.

I can do lots of things at the light including talking or listening to someone else. That is distracting but it is not illegal.
I am also aware of my surroundings and will observe those who are stopped pawing at their phones. Using the one button rule I honk the horn at phone users. When I get their attention, what is the universal sign for get off the effing phone?
I personally find multiple passengers on board asking me questions etc. can cause me to miss a turn
Waste not
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If you are between outer white lines of road/highway and behind the steering wheel & using non-hands free phone. It is illegal, pull fully off the road/highway stop & talk/text all you want.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Grandan wrote:

lightspeed wrote:

I can do lots of things at the light including talking or listening to someone else. That is distracting but it is not illegal.
I am also aware of my surroundings and will observe those who are stopped pawing at their phones. Using the one button rule I honk the horn at phone users. When I get their attention, what is the universal sign for get off the effing phone?
I personally find multiple passengers on board asking me questions etc. can cause me to miss a turn

Put your right hand up to your ear. Extend pinky, towards nose/mouth. Thumb pointed upwards. Make sour "yak yak" face while moving lips. Try best you can to look like a goon. This is to best resemble the actions of the goonee.

Message should be fully understood.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

i can't remember the last time I drove without texting. I get most of my work done on the commute

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

lightspeed wrote:
Put your right hand up to your ear. Extend pinky, towards nose/mouth. Thumb pointed upwards. Make sour "yak yak" face while moving lips. Try best you can to look like a goon. This is to best resemble the actions of the goonee.

Message should be fully understood.

I like that so I think I'll try it next time. What got me was the number of people stopped at traffic signals today who were staring down at their laps and glancing up now and again, what's with that?
Waste not
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Grandan wrote:What got me was the number of people stopped at traffic signals today who were staring down at their laps and glancing up now and again, what's with that?

Apparently praying they won't get hit by a texter! :biggrin:

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”