Important Lesson, if you already don't know.

Home of the traffic rant.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Re: Important Lesson, if you already don't know.

Post by liisgo »

I have always wonder why the police do not go after these very easy ticket- able and fine-able traffic offences. Not only for the education of our drivers, but for their safety. Then not to mention the financial benefit.
When photo radar came out, immediately they were on it. Vans were purchased, man power was found. Revenue was had.
Driving the coq. hwy at 11pm at night alone, doing 11km over the limit you would get a ticket and they would get some revenue.
You could easily pay for every officer, the car etc. with the easy amount of tickets they could write around this town.
Why dont they?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

liisgo wrote:I have always wonder why the police do not go after these very easy ticket- able and fine-able traffic offences. Not only for the education of our drivers, but for their safety. Then not to mention the financial benefit.
When photo radar came out, immediately they were on it. Vans were purchased, man power was found. Revenue was had.
Driving the coq. hwy at 11pm at night alone, doing 11km over the limit you would get a ticket and they would get some revenue.
You could easily pay for every officer, the car etc. with the easy amount of tickets they could write around this town.
Why dont they?

I bet a decent cop or bylaw officer could crank out $5-$10k in fines every single day ticketing idiots.

They'd easily pay for themselves many times over.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

shordanna wrote:http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/intersections/left-turns-correct-lane

The law is actually silent with respect to which lane a vehicle turning left must turn into. It states how you must approach the turn, and that you must turn so that you are on the right of the centre of the road. But unlike right turns, there is nothing that requires that a driver takes the lane closest to the centre.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

KL3-Something wrote:The law is actually silent with respect to which lane a vehicle turning left must turn into. It states how you must approach the turn, and that you must turn so that you are on the right of the centre of the road. But unlike right turns, there is nothing that requires that a driver takes the lane closest to the centre.

Even so, I choose turn into nearest lane so those turn right from other direction can do so. Once its safe to do I signal to turn into right lane. Unwritten rule/courtesy among some drivers

Added later: I also if safe to do so pull over to left lane for on ramps, then pull back once past.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

KL3-Something wrote:
The law is actually silent with respect to which lane a vehicle turning left must turn into. It states how you must approach the turn, and that you must turn so that you are on the right of the centre of the road. But unlike right turns, there is nothing that requires that a driver takes the lane closest to the centre.

Exit turn lane - the one closest to the centre line. So, when making a left turn into two lanes, you choose the lane closest to you.
Simple really.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

KL3-Something wrote:The law is actually silent with respect to which lane a vehicle turning left must turn into. It states how you must approach the turn, and that you must turn so that you are on the right of the centre of the road. But unlike right turns, there is nothing that requires that a driver takes the lane closest to the centre.

Not sure if this is a Law but it is sure the way ICBC recommends to make the turn.

see page 50...http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Do ... ivers4.pdf
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

So it seems yet another thread where people are assuming that a law is in effect when it isn't. We have had similar discussions before on this and whilst it may be the "right thing to do" it seems its not illegal if you don't.
Again we are reading and assuming Drivesmart to be the same as the MVA which clearly its not although it probably makes sense :135:
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

dodgerdodge wrote:So it seems yet another thread where people are assuming that a law is in effect when it isn't. We have had similar discussions before on this and whilst it may be the "right thing to do" it seems its not illegal if you don't.
Again we are reading and assuming Drivesmart to be the same as the MVA which clearly its not although it probably makes sense :135:

Again, pretty simple if you bother to read.

BC MVA 165:

(2)(c) after entering the intersection, turn the vehicle to the left so that it leaves the intersection to the right of the marked centre line of the roadway being entered, or if there is no marked centre line then to the right of the centre line of the roadway being entered, or if there is no marked centre line then to the right of the centre line of the roadway being entered...

(3) When the driver of a vehicle intends to turn the vehicle left at an intersection where traffic is restricted to one direction on one or more of the highways, the driver must cause the vehicle to approach the intersection in the extreme left hand lane available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle, and after entering the intersection turn the vehicle to the left so as to leave the intersection as nearly as practicable in the left hand lane available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle on the highway being entered.

kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

lightspeed wrote:Again, pretty simple if you bother to read.

BC MVA 165:

Nice! Beat me to it.
Link for source: http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... section165

dodgerdodge wrote:Again we are reading and assuming Drivesmart to be the same as the MVA which clearly its not although it probably makes sense

DriveSmart is in intended as a "typical English" interpretation, much the same way that ICBC's docs are.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

So you are saying that KL 3 is completely wrong?
Correct me if i am wrong but i believe he is or was a serving member and as such would know traffic law.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I believe kl3 is wrong its always been turn into the nearest lane and then signal and change lanes if you do it wrong on a road test you will get demerit points I once got stopped and received a ticket for it many many years ago.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

This is one of those things that is chicken s#%t. If an accident were to occur or a near miss with another vehicle with police observing.........possibly or probably a ticket. If no other vehicles around to be affected........who cares.

No different than changing lanes or turning without signaling..........if NO OTHER VEHICLES are in the vicinity to be affected. When I say vicinity I mean NONE VISIBLE. I signal to WARN OTHER VEHICLES........not practice.

..........and here it comes!
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

lesliepaul wrote:If no other vehicles around to be affected........who cares.

pssst ... hey champ, per the initial link ( http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/intersection ... rrect-lane ) :
Who would be liable he wonders if the right turn vehicle failed to yield as directed by the sign and collided with a vehicle that had made the left turn into the curb lane instead of the lane next to the center line.

... the entire premise of the thread involves other vehicle around to be affected. ;)
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Some people defend this idiocy.

Some people barely drive within the law and have no understand of it. Having a license is recognition that for once in your life, you were capable of driving for half an hour to a minimum standard of assessment.

Some people aim to drive to the best of their ability, use best practice, and try to drive defensively. Those are the ones I have time for. Not the ones with 100 excuses for their miserable driving efforts.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”