Lane split for bikers

Home of the traffic rant.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Re: Lane split for bikers

Post by kumazatheef »

twobits wrote:Just a really stupid idea. The last thing a vehicle driver needs is another concern to watch out for. You can't hear these bikes until they are right at your side window and then they startle the crap out of you.

Soooo ... shoulder checks with your eyes before changing lanes ... is that the concern? Does that imply it's not being done already? Cause, well ... some vehicles tend to make less sound than a bike.

twobits wrote:California has allowed this for decades but only mandated HWY patrol to document accidents caused as a result of lane splitting for 14 months for a survey.

Are you saying the law that recently went into effect (Jan 1, 2017) is limited to only CHP? That's not the way I read the new law.

The initial Bill had limits on speed (ex: not more than 15mph than flow of traffic, and not when exceeding 50mph), which makes sense so it'll be interesting if they update to include.

Having driven a car in California, I can tell you their traffic at midnight makes our rush-hour traffic look like a 2-lane country dirt road in hicksfill ... having said that, the first time a motor-cycle zoomed past me while we were crawling along I was startled ... since then, it became separate nature to have half an eye on the side and rear-view mirror when traffic slowed to a crawl. Then, when we were clipping along at over 50mph there was no need for lane-splitting because the space between vehicles meant the bikes could weave in 'n out.

Point being: lane splitting or not: there will still be those who drive recklessly, on 2 wheels, or 4 ... (or even 18, which is much much scarier).
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Two questions for all that posted so far.
Do you ride a motorcycle on the street ?
Have you ever ridden in California and lane split ?

I have ridden down there and split lanes, it works well . Also you of course have the option not to do it as well
You guys are painting a doom and gloom scenario that is simply not happening down there..

I've seen it work well also but only if everyone behaves. I would never do it here with the crappy 'me first' drivers, legal or not. I tend to stay away from OK city traffic as much as possible tho.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I agree rider59. I would never do it with the drivers around the Okanagan. They have to some of the worst most careless drivers I have ever seen. I have driven a motorhome towing a car through Seattle, San Diego, Huston, Phoenix and others with less trouble than you have in the Okanagan. I am actually glad I don't ride when I live here.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I don't think people here will be to impressed when the *bleep* mid life crisis rich running straight piped pos Harley rider lane splits his way up to the light and sits less than a foot from your window I have actually had this happen to me here and now when I see them trying to do this I make the lane very skinny
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Two things to remember..
In places where it is legal, doing so is optional.. Dont feel like it... dont do it...
The biggest problem here is four wheel drivers are an ignorant bunch...if someone looks lke they are making a small gain, and getting ahead of them , many will try to block you. The difference is, when it is legal to lane split, there are severe penalties..... And the next bike along, could be a motor officer..and he will fne you if you are trying to block someone.

As for the loud bikes.... The way it is niw they are often behind you for a while, and they irritate you..with lane splitting they could be gone in 30 seconds..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

LTD wrote:I don't think people here will be to impressed when the *bleep* mid life crisis rich running straight piped pos Harley rider lane splits his way up to the light and sits less than a foot from your window I have actually had this happen to me here and now when I see them trying to do this I make the lane very skinny

I dont think the bicycle guys are impressed as you roll coal going by them either...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Biggest reason for my comment on pages 1 is knowing that unfortunate amount of drivers have total lack of respect for both motorcyclists as well bicyclist.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Two things to remember..
In places where it is legal, doing so is optional.. Dont feel like it... dont do it...
The biggest problem here is four wheel drivers are an ignorant bunch...if someone looks lke they are making a small gain, and getting ahead of them , many will try to block you. The difference is, when it is legal to lane split, there are severe penalties..... And the next bike along, could be a motor officer..and he will fne you if you are trying to block someone.

As for the loud bikes.... The way it is niw they are often behind you for a while, and they irritate you..with lane splitting they could be gone in 30 seconds..

i agree 4 wheel drivers are ignorant, but so are the 2 wheel ones
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

the truth wrote:i agree 4 wheel drivers are ignorant, but so are the 2 wheel ones

So the sooner the ignorant ones get away from me, the better ... thus let the 2 wheel ones lane split and drive off ...
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

I would welcome lane splitting here in BC. I've ridden in areas that allow it and it's a great idea.Splitting lanes while doing 80 is not something I'd likely do, but you bet I'd split a lane in heavy stop and go traffic.
If you don't want to do it, don't, but it should be allowed.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Btfsplck wrote:I would welcome lane splitting here in BC. I've ridden in areas that allow it and it's a great idea.Splitting lanes while doing 80 is not something I'd likely do, but you bet I'd split a lane in heavy stop and go traffic.
If you don't want to do it, don't, but it should be allowed.

I agree that it should be legal ... but I have the opposite outlook ... in stop-n-go traffic I'd be more worried about cars darting around without looking to gain a quick advantage more than when things smooth out at 80kph ...
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

The thing is people are gonna do this when traffic isn't going along as fast as they like and maybe some frustration involved. So even if they aren't speeding they could potentially be going much faster than surrounding vehicles. I had some fool run thru my big tow mirror doing this on a dirt/street style bike, fortunately it collapses forward and he kept flying thru, but if it were those old fixed types?
BC drivers can't handle this - is this an April fools joke?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

No.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Maybe it is a covert plan to deal with biker gangs?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

hobbyguy wrote:Maybe it is a covert plan to deal with biker gangs?

With those big handle bars, they can't lane split without damaging two cars on either side. Besides biker gangs don't want to go fast, they want to go slow and loud so that they can get as much attention as possible, perhaps because their mothers didn't give them enough at a crucial, breast feeding period of their lives.........Maybe that explains their girlfriends and their need to ride an 800# vibrator, covered in leather. Just saying........
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”