Spandex alert!!

Home of the traffic rant.
spooker

Re: SPANDEX ALERT!!

Post by spooker »

Old Techie wrote:That's not feasible nor sensible. Bike riders are a danger to themselves, and everyone around them, when attempting to ride in winter conditions.

I haven't noted any studded bicycle tires.

Fortunately most riders are sensible enough to concede that riding in the winter is not the best decision.

I can post pictures of my studded 700x42 tires that I use at times ... other times I ride a hardtail mtb with 2.10" tires and an open tread that doesn't collect snow (not perfect) ... and then I use a fixy with 700x28 Marathon plus tires that bite nicely because I am not a Lance Armstrong-sized guy ... all of these options are what I use to get around in *winter*, which gets used depends on what the weather is like and the route that I'll need to follow

Did I mention I slip a lot less on most surfaces than I see/hear of cars?

Saying that cyclists are a danger is ridiculous and short sighted ... Kelowna has a much more mild winter than other places that have a larger section of the population that cycle in the winter ...

Just like the fact that car owners had to learn to drive in winter conditions so should cyclists ... as for being a danger, that's up to the environment more often, other road users and the conditions of the infrastructure ... winter cycling is not something that everyone can just do if they wake up and decide to ... but there are plenty of resources out there for people who want to give it a shot ... great way to stay active during this season ...

And this year my cycling motivated a neighbour to ride in the winter too ... she put studded tires on her MTB to feel safe and was quite satisfied with her activity ... a previous manager of mine used to cycle in the winter from West Kelowna ... again on studded tires ...
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The problem with the unswept bike lane is its inconsistent.... Clear for a bit, then sandy...then a berm if dirt with a big ridge..stuff like that.. And it hides nails and screws..stuff you would see had it been swept..
And Clement going East between Ethel and Gordon.....sometimes in June its not even swept..and that connects to the pathway from Gordon to Dilworth put in at big expense.
Stuff like that is what we deal with.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

BUMP

Had the pleasure of dealing with one of these holier than thou spandex people on the weekend. He decided to not let us go by him and pulled out in front of us and stayed there until the stop sign. Gave us the middle finger salute. His buddy who was behind him let us by but I guess he thought he was entitled.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Bubalouie wrote:BUMP

Had the pleasure of dealing with one of these holier than thou spandex people on the weekend. He decided to not let us go by him and pulled out in front of us and stayed there until the stop sign. Gave us the middle finger salute. His buddy who was behind him let us by but I guess he thought he was entitled.

They don't have a lcence.
They don't have a plate.
How do you identify them and report them?

Once they are licenced, plated, and insured then they can be policed. Right now they are a lawless rabble. A liability on the streets.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

My licence is in my wallet.
Plate is on the car at home.

Willing to bet Bubalouie has passed 100's of cyclists or people on bikes (I believe there is a difference) with no issues before running into this one jerk. Falls a little short of a rabble, but we are all entitled to our own opinion so carry on.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Yes have passed many and he's not the only one, too bad one bad apple spoils it
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bubalouie wrote:Yes have passed many and he's not the only one, too bad one bad apple spoils it

It really is a shame that these types (both drivers and cyclists) didn't treat others on the road with a little respect.
It would make life for everyone so much more pleasant.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Out and about for a drive yesterday, on McCulloch, we are following an SUV who has in front of him 6 people riding their bikes, all of them 2 abreast and would not move for the vehicles coming up behind them. SUV driver laid on the horn, nothing happened except the middle finger salute from each one of them....There are road signs everywhere saying to share the road but some of these people just don't get it I guess.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

that's a regular and ongoing thing there by the same group of idiots they like to blow through the 4 way stop without even slowing down like they automatically have the right of way as well, the rcmp need to designate someone to enforce these yoyos in east Kelowna before someone gets killed
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm dealing with the South East Kelowna spandex crew all the time as I have to drive up there for my job.

Riding double on the road, going too fast, barely stops for Stop signs. See it all the time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Oh look:

MVA is your friend....

Rights and duties of operator of cycle

183 (2) A person operating a cycle

(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway

spooker

Post by spooker »

lightspeed wrote:Oh look:

MVA is your friend....

Rights and duties of operator of cycle

183 (2) A person operating a cycle

(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway

Oh look!

203 (1) A person must not open the door of a motor vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so.

And yet a driver did that and killed a cyclist two years ago ... who's going to die from two-abreast cyclists? other than possibly the cyclists ...

We know it's not a perfect world and people will be *bleep* no matter their mode of transport ... so let's not go down that route ... let's just make sure no one dies from either our bad behaviour or impatience ...

I've started training for a long distance race later this month and have joined up with a couple of Sunday group rides ... and so far I've been reasonably happy with the behaviour of the riders ... no, we're not the top level riders and our uphill pace will not be giving Peter Sagan or Froome any competition (sorry for the delay along Anderson Rd last Sunday) ... but no drivers have honked at us ... we call out "car back" and tighten up when we're getting spread out ... it's pretty civilized ...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

well let me explain it to ya spooker because its sounds as tho you're as clueless as the idiots in east Kelowna, cyclists riding two abreast force a car into the oncoming lane which puts me in danger because someone wants to chit chat riding side by side. The idiots in east Kelowna ride there every week usually more than once and ride like they own the road there's a group of them that ride through stop signs ride 3 and 4 wide swerve out in to traffic when making right turns and the list goes on I'm guessing you ride with them that's why your defending them, you can make all the excuses you want it doesn't change the fact that this group of idiots are making themselves and their fellow cyclists look bad, not to mention they're gonna get themselves hurt or killed riding the way they do. I have phoned the idiots in and will continue to do so you can count on that, I have also just purchased a dash cam so if one of the idiots gets stuck in the grill of my truck while blowing through a stop sign my butts covered . theres absolutely nothing civilized about the way these clowns ride period
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The only way to deal with them is to film them from behind, several times over and get it to the RCMP.

It's a crime what that group does. I see all the time LTD, I'm up on Spiers, June Springs, McCullough all the time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

"A lawless rabble"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”