Traffic Circles and Pedestrian Cross Walks

Home of the traffic rant.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Traffic Circles and Pedestrian Cross Walks

Post by Straight Shooter »

Ok, here's the story. Back on Dec 29th of 2014 I was hit by a vehicle while I was crossing a crosswalk in Tampa Florida, so I'm more careful now than ever when I'm in a crosswalk area. The Traffic Circle on Queensways and Water St. scares the hell out of me everytime I see a vehicle either in or ready to get into the circle and I'm crossing in the crosswalk. Now, the City of Kelowna is planning on putting in another traffic circle at the Water St. Doyle Ave. intersection. What concerns me is that after an event at Prospera or the Performing Arts Centre a lot of people will be crossing either before or after the traffic circle, so motorists please, please be careful. I've seen cars speed into a T/C looking out for other cars but ignoring the pedestrians.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Traffic Circles and Pedestrian Cross Walks

Post by vegas1500 »

Straight Shooter wrote:Ok, here's the story. Back on Dec 29th of 2014 I was hit by a vehicle while I was crossing a crosswalk in Tampa Florida, so I'm more careful now than ever when I'm in a crosswalk area. The Traffic Circle on Queensways and Water St. scares the hell out of me everytime I see a vehicle either in or ready to get into the circle and I'm crossing in the crosswalk. Now, the City of Kelowna is planning on putting in another traffic circle at the Water St. Doyle Ave. intersection. What concerns me is that after an event at Prospera or the Performing Arts Centre a lot of people will be crossing either before or after the traffic circle, so motorists please, please be careful. I've seen cars speed into a T/C looking out for other cars but ignoring the pedestrians.

That happens everywhere not just traffic circles.....
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The only close calls I've ever had were in crosswalks. One driver decided to pass the vehicle stopped for me on the shoulder and the driver of the vehicle he was passing laid on the horn to get my attention - saved my *bleep*. Another making a left hand turn waited until I was almost across the street before starting his turn - I was literally leaned over the front end of his car. I'll take my chances on roundabout crosswalks as much as I take my chance using any other crosswalk.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'm never in downtown area, what I've seen at traffic circle at Burtch & Byrns. Pedestrian would be risking there lives, some drivers take that circle going pretty damn fast.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I started driving (legally) on the east coast of the US where traffic circles are common and often three and four lanes deep.

I have no problem navigating them but can see here in Kelowna that few folks understand traffic circle 'etiquette'.

Cross walks at traffic circles just add to the mayhem if the rules of conduct are not known or adhered to.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

GordonH wrote:I'm never in downtown area, what I've seen at traffic circle at Burtch & Byrns. Pedestrian would be risking there lives, some drivers take that circle going pretty damn fast.

When travelling on Burtch and wanting to go right, onto Guishigan, that crosswalk
is IMO too far around the bend.
It has very poor sight lines.

Yes. people go quickly in less than ideal spots.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Barney Google wrote:I started driving (legally) on the east coast of the US where traffic circles are common and often three and four lanes deep.

I have no problem navigating them but can see here in Kelowna that few folks understand traffic circle 'etiquette'.

Cross walks at traffic circles just add to the mayhem if the rules of conduct are not known or adhered to.

I apologize for my bad manners in the traffic circle, but I think you should tone down the rhetoric a bit. I think it's time we call a truce in this east coast-west coast traffic circle rivalry.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ the one I see the most close calls is those crossing Guisachan Rd (lot of seniors in the area). Fastest ones are coming from Benvonlin & going straight threw to Gordon. Some take it like F1 with little chicane.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

johnny24 wrote:
I apologize for my bad manners in the traffic circle, but I think you should tone down the rhetoric a bit. I think it's time we call a truce in this east coast-west coast traffic circle rivalry.

Rhetoric?

Rivalry?

Simply pointing out my experience and experiences...nothing more
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

johnny24 wrote:

Barney Google wrote:
Rhetoric?

Rivalry?

Simply pointing out my experience and experiences...nothing more

Sorry, just tired of the influx of people from the east coast taking over our traffic circles.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

johnny24 wrote:
Sorry, just tired of the influx of people from the east coast taking over our traffic circles.

lol...perfectly understandable.

I've lived in Kelowna for over 35 years and before that lived in Calgary...grew up in parts central and east coast of the US but

born in Ontario...guess once an east coaster always an east coaster.

Sorry?!?! Lol

Very few traffic circles out here in the west in comparison.
- Unknown
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Fastest ones are coming from Benvonlin & going straight threw to Gordon. Some take it like F1 with little chicane.

And that doesn't even come close as Bottom Wood Lake Rd. and Lodge Rd.
South bound, Winfield.
Hardly even a bend, full speed plus 20%. Within spittin' distance to a school !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ agree a lot of idiot drivers risking others by their stupidity (if only ones that could be injured or killed was these idiots, I'd say have at it... they are not).

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”