Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Home of the traffic rant.
my5cents
Guru

Re: Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:They can (and do) eliminate intersections with traffic lights just as well as ones with just stop signs.

I've never seen one. What location ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

my5cents wrote:
Always Sunny wrote:....................This blog is written by an ICBC approved driving instructor and it seem to indicate that if you will be using the exit to your left, that you use the left turn signal: http://drivinginstructorblog.com/q-do-i ... oundabout/ ...............................

As a result of your post I read a few of "Carmen the ICBC-approved driving instructor", helpful hints. I got to one about someone turning left at a double left turn intersection, where she maintained that it was illegal to change lanes in an intersection (ya, I know, lots of you thought it was). She should have known the law, and obviously doesn't.

The more I read, the more I was convinced that I wouldn't take too much of what she says to the bank.

That's why I stuck with "seems to" indicate, as I couldn't determine if this was absolutely true from actual literature. But, I do agree that it seems like good practice.

In Ontario we were taught not to change lanes in an intersection, and that's probably why I've carried that "knowledge" with me. Personally, when in doubt I always go with the more cautious of the two options. I've driven in every province and territory besides Nunavut and Quebec besides "drive on the right side of the road" there's a lack of consistency.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Always Sunny wrote:That's why I stuck with "seems to" indicate, as I couldn't determine if this was absolutely true from actual literature. But, I do agree that it seems like good practice.

In Ontario we were taught not to change lanes in an intersection, and that's probably why I've carried that "knowledge" with me. Personally, when in doubt I always go with the more cautious of the two options. I've driven in every province and territory besides Nunavut and Quebec besides "drive on the right side of the road" there's a lack of consistency.

I was taught the same here in BC, and don't get me wrong it's a good idea not to change lanes in an intersection under most circumstances, but just like shoulder checking, it's a good practice to do so but not illegal not to.

Many think it's illegal to drive with bare feet.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are lots of driving practices that are not illegal but not very smart to do.

The not very smart drivers seem to out number the smart ones.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:
Dizzy1 wrote:They can (and do) eliminate intersections with traffic lights just as well as ones with just stop signs.

I've never seen one. What location ?

Lots in Europe.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.carmel.in.gov/index.aspx?page=123
Since the late 1990’s Carmel has been building and replacing signalized intersections with roundabouts.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Dizzy1 wrote:"my5cents" - I've never seen one. What location ?
Lots in Europe.

Fancy wrote:http://www.carmel.in.gov/index.aspx?page=123
Since the late 1990’s Carmel has been building and replacing signalized intersections with roundabouts.

That would be Carmel Indiana ?

And that, is where I've gone wrong. All this time, since the first post, where cbar stated : "I have lived in Kelowna for the past 10 years and have always been concerned...."

I thought this was a forum on the rules, practices, and driving habits of roundabouts pertained to the Kelowna area, or maybe as far afield as the Okanagan.

This is "World Roundabouts", Oh, now I get it.

When "Oldlslander" stated : "I hope they build more and more of them everywhere. Slowing down a bit to navigate a roundabout is way better than stopping at a gazillion red lights". I got the (obviously wrong) impression that Oldlslander was saying that there were some in the area that had achieve this. I understand now, "everywhere" means "throughout the world".

Until now, I've only been concerning myself with traffic within the Okanagan of BC, time to expand my horizons and worry about traffic in Indiana and Europe. Next time I'm driving around in Carmel Indiana I certainly will take solace in the fact that I don't have to stop for those pesky traffic lights.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You responded to a post that mentioned Victoria. Roundabouts are new here. They are not in other countries. Consider the reasons they are being put into use in the first place. I would imagine other places were looked at prior to building here as people in the Okanagan just didn't think them up. And even the OP mentioned coming from Europe.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

my5cents wrote:
OldIslander wrote:We're getting more and more of them here in Victoria -- in most situations, they work really well......

..............I hope they build more and more of them everywhere. Slowing down a bit to navigate a roundabout is a way better than stopping at a gazillion red lights

I want to put this as nicely as I can..... Roundabouts/Traffic Circles are created to eliminate intersections with stop signs, not traffic lights.

Well I think it was absolutely lovely, the way you put that, 5cents. But unfortunately, it's horse poop. Do you have a source for that sweeping statement please? But be prepared for a deluge of retaliatory data, supporting how much more efficient, roundabouts are than red lights (at many intersections -- not all, of course...).
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:
That would be Carmel Indiana ?

And that, is where I've gone wrong. All this time, since the first post, where cbar stated : "I have lived in Kelowna for the past 10 years and have always been concerned...."

I thought this was a forum on the rules, practices, and driving habits of roundabouts pertained to the Kelowna area, or maybe as far afield as the Okanagan.

When "Oldlslander" stated : "I hope they build more and more of them everywhere. Slowing down a bit to navigate a roundabout is way better than stopping at a gazillion red lights". I got the (obviously wrong) impression that Oldlslander was saying that there were some in the area that had achieve this. I understand now, "everywhere" means "throughout the world".

Until now, I've only been concerning myself with traffic within the Okanagan of BC, time to expand my horizons and worry about traffic in Indiana and Europe. Next time I'm driving around in Carmel Indiana I certainly will take solace in the fact that I don't have to stop for those pesky traffic lights.

What a childish rant.

Your post stated that roundabouts are not designed to replace traffic lights - in which you are wrong. Seeing that the roundabouts in the OK, or Kelowna specifically (assuming Iutside of Kelowna is acceptable to your criteria) have yet not replaced any traffic lights as of yet (that I know of at least) obviously means those were not designed to replace traffic lights is painfully obvious. Having said that, if one does end up replacing a traffic light - that one would have been designed to do such - so your statement that roundabouts aren't designed to replace traffic lights is completely pointless based on your blindsided criteria.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Fancy wrote:You responded to a post that mentioned Victoria. Roundabouts are new here. ---snip ---

Victoria is coming back to roundabouts -- there used to be several of them. The intersection of Douglas at Hillside -- one of the busiest in Victoria -- used to be controlled with a roundabout. (http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum. ... s-victoria). It was removed -- I believe -- in the 60's for traffic lights, resulting in long waits at rush hour, as the 5 converging streets sort themselves out. Many argue that this intersection would work better today, if they'd simply left it in place.

Unfortunately, roundabouts require a bit more real estate than traffic lights, which make it easier to have businesses near them. A huge benefit of roundabouts is that they are largely unaffected during power outages.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

my5cents wrote:I thought this was a forum on the rules, practices, and driving habits of roundabouts pertained to the Kelowna area, or maybe as far afield as the Okanagan.

Do you really believe that the Okanagan is its own little world, with a special set of rules of the road for driving? I'm afraid you are mistaken -- roundabout lore for Kelowna is exactly the same as the rest of the OK and the same as the rest of the province and the rest of the country. You're just not that special, 5cents.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

my5cents wrote:That would be Carmel Indiana ?

I spent 10 days in Brattleboro Vermont over the past few weeks. They have a traffic circle which is two lanes around the circle. The lead up signs direct you to drive in the centre lane if you are going beyond the first turn off.
If that is done, the traffic can move much faster. When you stay in the centre until you exit there should be no conflicts on exiting. Unfortunately too many don't understand and drive around the outside so that when the centre drivers exit they are in conflict with those people who should have been in the centre. Every time I drove through that traffic circle I had to pass multiple people sitting and waiting to get on yet I was very easily able to enter and exit while all the time watching for the idiots who remained on the outside of the circle. Dumb, just dumb!
Waste not
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Vernon recently got two roundabouts or traffic circles on Pleasant Valley Road.

They certainly do take up more real estate; it was a hoot to watch a big farm truck drive right over the inner-ring fancy brickwork ignoring the road entirely; the center ornamentation blocks view of an incoming speeder; watching motorists dithering on how and when to enter the circle...and so it goes.

The circle directly in front of Caetani House has me completely baffled because it seems to be a repository or graveyard for road signs.

That circle has at least 25 to 30 roadsigns planted in and around it. I have tried counting them all as I drive through so am sure there are more that I missed....It is such a thicket that you cannot see a pedestrian in the roadway. A cyclist momentarily distracted will definitely wind up in the hospital with serious injuries after hitting one of these metal road soldiers.

I challenge anyone else to find a circle with more signs than this one.

:crazy: :crazy:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
akamossad

Post by akamossad »

It is somehow tricky using roundabouts, I specifically find signs more confusing to me [icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”