Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Home of the traffic rant.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Re: Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Post by skydawg »

Most drivers I see at 4 way just sit there in confusion as to who is to go. Perhaps Kelowna is different, they do have a special kind of stupid going on there.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Any person thet does not know how to drive in a traffic circle should give up their drivers lisenes :smt045
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

skydawg wrote:Not really. Even if every vehicle had to stop for 1 second it still would be faster than a 4 way

The one on Louis drive is basically a 4 way stop given the lack of signalling and understanding. I've seen traffic backed up to Walmart because of it. Take your lazy no-single hillbilliness back to the country or facilitate traffic flow.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

I am absolutely disgusted by the driving behaviour of an old lady at the Louie dr/Butt rd roundabout today. I was approaching from Walmart direction going straight on. I had no vehicle to my left and entered the roundabout. Something told me at this point that the old lady approaching from my right, who was wearing those large sunglasses that fit over your readers, was not going to stop. She did NOT stop, she did NOT look left, she just drove ahead like she was the only one on the road. I stomped on the brakes to avoid slamming into her and laid on the horn for a long blast, she did not look or seem to even hear the horn.
This is the kind of driver that seriously needs some driver training and maybe an eye and hearing test too.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

dodgerdodge wrote:I am absolutely disgusted by the driving behaviour of an old lady at the Louie dr/Butt rd roundabout today. I was approaching from Walmart direction going straight on. I had no vehicle to my left and entered the roundabout. Something told me at this point that the old lady approaching from my right, who was wearing those large sunglasses that fit over your readers, was not going to stop. She did NOT stop, she did NOT look left, she just drove ahead like she was the only one on the road. I stomped on the brakes to avoid slamming into her and laid on the horn for a long blast, she did not look or seem to even hear the horn.
This is the kind of driver that seriously needs some driver training and maybe an eye and hearing test too.

This lady got where she is by people avoiding her so she thinks her driving is just fine. Someone (who has the right of way) needs to run into her to wake her up, it all she understands.
Waste not
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Grandan wrote: Someone (who has the right of way) needs to run into her to wake her up, it all she understands.

This is why I drive a beater in the winter.

- Buckminster Fuller
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Atomoa wrote:This is why I drive a beater in the winter.

You drive a beater so you can run into confused seniors to teach them a lesson? We're all going to be there one day and can only hope to have the good sense and where-with-all to stop driving but vehicular vigilantism is insanity. Take the license plate number and report them.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Poindexter wrote:You drive a beater so you can run into confused seniors to teach them a lesson?

If you avoid them, dont honk and just smile when they break the rules then next time they break the rules they might take out a kid. I drive a beater so I dont have to worry about idiots who dont know the right of way smashing into me. If you are going to drive right into me because you dont know the rules of the road -be my guest. I dont give a hoot about my winter car getting smashed up.

Drivers be warned - I do not brake for rulebreakers.

- Buckminster Fuller
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Atomoa wrote:Drivers be warned - I do not brake for rulebreakers.

How many injury claims do you have going? Imagine ICBC would be interested in seeing this post.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

We're getting more and more of them here in Victoria -- in most situations, they work really well. I saw the Mythbusters episode (mentioned earlier in this thread...), where they prove it too. (http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/ind ... tland.html)

However, they are not always perfect. They built two large ones right next to each other on our Pat Bay Hwy exit to the Sidney airport, and they are really difficult for people using them for the first time. One resident refers to them as “Spaghetti Junction -- an edifice to stupidity". I've driven in the UK from Brighton to northern Scotland, and never had a problem with roundabouts. But the 2 at our airport, took me several tries before I was able to figure out how to get through them. http://www.timescolonist.com/driving/st ... s-1.648955

Now that they've been there a few years, the complaints have died away.

I hope they build more and more of them everywhere. Slowing down a bit to navigate a roundabout is a way better than stopping at a gazillion red lights -- their sensors having been triggered by a single car rolling up.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

Yes.
Bsuds wrote:Maybe they should put up some signs approaching the roundabouts.
1-Vehicle in circle has right of way.
2-Signal exit only.

Nobody is turning left entering or exiting a roundabout.
Going today, hear tommorow
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Wally wrote:Yes.
Bsuds wrote:Maybe they should put up some signs approaching the roundabouts.
1-Vehicle in circle has right of way.
2-Signal exit only.

Nobody is turning left entering or exiting a roundabout.

I don't mind someone using the left signal in the roundabout, because to me it indicates that they're one of the few that will actually signal right to exit the roundabout.

This blog is written by an ICBC approved driving instructor and it seem to indicate that if you will be using the exit to your left, that you use the left turn signal: http://drivinginstructorblog.com/q-do-i ... oundabout/

In a town with a lack of any signalling, I'm surprised how many people are bothered by "over signalling" when it accurately reflects the driver's intentions. I'm mean, we're not talking the guy who signals two kilometres and 18 driveways early that he's making a left hand turn at some point.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

OldIslander wrote:We're getting more and more of them here in Victoria -- in most situations, they work really well......

..............I hope they build more and more of them everywhere. Slowing down a bit to navigate a roundabout is a way better than stopping at a gazillion red lights

I want to put this as nicely as I can..... Roundabouts/Traffic Circles are created to eliminate intersections with stop signs, not traffic lights.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Always Sunny wrote:....................This blog is written by an ICBC approved driving instructor and it seem to indicate that if you will be using the exit to your left, that you use the left turn signal: http://drivinginstructorblog.com/q-do-i ... oundabout/ ...............................

As a result of your post I read a few of "Carmen the ICBC-approved driving instructor", helpful hints. I got to one about someone turning left at a double left turn intersection, where she maintained that it was illegal to change lanes in an intersection (ya, I know, lots of you thought it was). She should have known the law, and obviously doesn't.

The more I read, the more I was convinced that I wouldn't take too much of what she says to the bank.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

my5cents wrote:
I want to put this as nicely as I can..... Roundabouts/Traffic Circles are created to eliminate intersections with stop signs, not traffic lights.

They can (and do) eliminate intersections with traffic lights just as well as ones with just stop signs.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”