Crash on 97 by Gorman's Chaos!

Home of the traffic rant.
slootman
Übergod

Re: Crash on 97 by Gorman's Chaos!

Post by slootman »

nikonfan wrote:Well maybe dogspoiler can enlighten us perhaps on what would cause this on a slippery, snowy, foggy, icy morning. Someone going too fast for the conditions with probably lousy tires. It happens way to much in the Okanagan! Besides you haven't been sitting here since 7:50 this morning having your entire day frigged up!

Judging by the giant semi trailer strewn across the highway and a concrete barrier pushed into the oncoming lanes its not difficult to make an educated guess as to what happened.

Glad the driver of the SUV is ok. I couldn't imagine how scary it'd be to see a semi truck sliding towards you uncontrollably.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Looks like another "Professional Driver" jackknifed his rig on the Coq around noon.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

dogspoiler wrote:Sometimes more like an alternate reality.

that's where many people in this valley live
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

:chicken:
Last edited by Whyme2 on Mar 10th, 2017, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

nikonfan wrote:How in the world does an accident like this happen? If people would just slow down, get the proper snow tires and drive the conditions. We have been sitting here now for 2 frigging hours because some idiot is incapable of driving. I sure hope there are charges laid and if it were up to me compensation to all of us needlessly stuck sitting here loosing money by the minute. Glad nobody was hurt. Maybe it's time people who are completely incompetent driving should stick to transit!

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... Highway-97

Wow!...it's called an accident and *bleep* happens. We are all very sorry you lost money in the couple hours it took to clean up accident and for the first responders to care for those involved. You must have been the most important person on that road this morning and for that you can count your lucky stars... :135:
Kurtmeister-1

Post by Kurtmeister-1 »

We live in Peachland and have to travel this stretch 2X daily. I didn't make it in to work today as I couldn't even get onto the hwy at Peachland until after noon. There were 2 fatalities at that very spot in the last 6 months and we are very, very lucky we didn't have another one today. We're also very lucky we didn't have an important medical appointment, a plane to catch or needed an ambulance! Heavy industrial traffic has no place mixing with urban traffic, especially moving thru a downtown core (WB & Kelowma). In some university urban design classes, they actually use the central Okanagan and Kelowna as an example on how NOT to engineer traffic flow. There's a statistic you won't find our mayors bragging about...

We are WAY over due for a 2nd crossing and bypass that takes thru traffic from the Trepanier turn-off, behind West Kelowna and across the lake by the University. While their at it, bypass the bottle-neck at Peachland as well and re-connectat Greata Ranch where the 4-lane resumes. For all the tree and toad-huggers that decry a bypass cutting thru the (ample) forest, ask them if they want to revert the connector back to bush and travel the coast via Princeton or Kamloops or go back to the skinny 2-lane to Vernon. Uh yeah, that's what I thought. When I read how Vancouver is getting YET ANOTHER 2 or 3 BILLION dollar bridge, it makes my head swim! We have only one way across the lake and yet the politicians do nothing while lives, property and productive time continues to be lost . It's time we call up our council member, MLA and MP and shame them into doing the right thing. Maybe they can shake some cash out of Justin's infrastructure money tree and create some jobs while improving the lives of their taxpayers.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

nikonfan wrote:Well maybe dogspoiler can enlighten us perhaps on what would cause this on a slippery, snowy, foggy, icy morning. Someone going too fast for the conditions with probably lousy tires. It happens way to much in the Okanagan! Besides you haven't been sitting here since 7:50 this morning having your entire day frigged up!

You know absolutely nothing about Dogspoiler. Nothing.
And, I note that not one of your posts contains any sentence with "I hope no one got hurt or died today." NOT ONE.
Last edited by Queen K on Mar 10th, 2017, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:
And, I note that not one of your posts contains any sentence with "I hope no one got hurt or died today." NOT ONE.

Re read his first post he said he was glad no one was hurt.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Sorry, I was too busy seeing red over his ignorant comments re Dogspoiler.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Probably a *bleep* driver going too fast, usually the case.
Sure do love Rutland!!
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I see it daily. Drivers pour off the connector at high speed. They have been daydreaming for a few hours. A lot of the "professional" drivers have been driving for 10+ hours. Long,long straight hyw to a quick couple of curves and it's going to happen.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Leifer wrote:Looks like another "Professional Driver" jackknifed his rig on the Coq around noon.

I hope he didn't lose his flip flops in the mellee.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Leifer wrote:Looks like another "Professional Driver" jackknifed his rig on the Coq around noon.

The old "Professional Driver" line gets so tiring. How about bad road conditions instead,
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Gixxer wrote:

The old "Professional Driver" line gets so tiring. How about bad road conditions instead,

A professional driver understands "winter conditions", can see by the windshield of his vehicle that it's raining/snowing/sleeting/hailing/sunny etc, and therefore should adjust their driving. It's really not rocket science, it's that long lost thing.... COMMON SENSE, and it applies to anyone behind a wheel.

I put on around 50-60,000 km a year. Two weeks ago I was driving along, saw white slippery stuff on the road (no snow, that frozen water crap) and SLOWED DOWN. Unfortunately the driver coming the other way didn't have the foresight to do that and spun into me. Everyone was okay, but that was totally avoidable if they had understood WINTER driving, and white smooth stuff, also known as VISIBLE ice is slippery.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Kurtmeister-1 wrote: Heavy industrial traffic has no place mixing with urban traffic, especially moving thru a downtown core (WB & Kelowma).

This happened on a highway between two municipalities. The issue of you choosing to live in a totally different municipality from where you work is your issue and those are the risks you encounter when when you make this choice.
Spending billions to create your magical route will not take trucks off the road. It will reroute some of them but not all. How do you think you get goods delivered to your town?

It's an accident. Poo happens.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”