Hospital Hill, Vernon.

Home of the traffic rant.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Hospital Hill, Vernon.

Post by GordonH »

Gixxer wrote:Worst idea ever. How about building a pedestrian tunnel or bridge instead.

Glacier wrote:Absolutely. Where I went to high school in 100 Mile House, there is a tunnel under highway 97. Surely a city 20 times the size of Hun City could be worthy of a tunnel.

Either would fix the pedestrian issue.
Vehicles turning left out of VJH would still need to be addressed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:

I've heard that the plan is to run 27th street up to the highway above the Hospital. This would reduce traffic dramatically in this area.

Long term, a bypass is needed for sure.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Glacier wrote:
GordonH wrote:

I've heard that the plan is to run 27th street up to the highway above the Hospital. This would reduce traffic dramatically in this area.

Long term, a bypass is needed for sure.

I'd sure like to see that plan. How does it deal not only with the hospital lands which are quite extensive but Polson and Armoury Parks, the land belonging to the DND and the residential neighborhood up there? It's a relatively tiny area hemmed in by Hwy 97 on one side and Hwy 6/ Kal Lake Road on the other, not much extra space for a major road expansion unless some seriously big-time disruption is in the works.

As for the intersection at the hospital, it's no worse than any other in this town. Our roads are what they are because of the complete lack of planning in the past and well beyond any easy or cheap fixes. Putting a traffic light there for the benefit of a few pedestrians is just plain stupid and asking for even more trouble, especially when the weather gets bad. And lets not even think about the traffic chaos that yet another light would cause, as if that isn't bad enough already. We need to stop looking for solutions to problems that don't exist and concentrate on the ones that do. Just my 2 cents.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”