SUV through library

Home of the traffic rant.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

SUV through library

Post by dodgerdodge »

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... gh-library

This is getting ridiculous now, we seem to be reading this type of thing on an almost weekly basis. Same front page on Castanet showing story regards car swerving across the road and into power pole, another alleged "medical issue" No word yet on why this vehicle made it all the way inside library but is there really any excuse unless driver had a major medical issue. Mistaking gas pedal for brake is absolutely no excuse in my opinion. To my knowledge this was not a "drive through library"

The rather crazy thing is that vehicles mounting sidewalks, crashing through buildings or into peoples yards seems to happen way too much, jesus if this happened in Europe we would all be on terror alert!!!
lightspeed
Guru

Re: SUV through library

Post by lightspeed »

Terror alert: the cotton tops are attacking!!
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Update says driver was 71 year old and police will be checking car for any issues. I think we can all be pretty sure they won't find anything wrong with the car, in fact, when was the last time a car launched itself at a building because of a mechanical failure?
Someone is in serious condition with life threatening injuries apparently. You would hope that the library would be a safe place to sit for Christ sake
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

It was only a matter of time before someone wound up seriously injured by one of these incidents.

One in critical condition. one serious, and three others injured.

What on earth happened this time that provided enough force to propel an SUV fully inside of the library?
sk3456

Post by sk3456 »

When on EARTH are people going to WAKE UP and make a call for action about the current Driving Laws?
The current system to "test " drivers at age 80 - is a JOKE.
Turning 80 doesn't force anybody to do anything more than have their physician complete a Motor Vehicle Medical Exam.
If the family Doctor finds nothing to be concerned about (or walk in Clinic DR) - physical or psychological - they will be able to renew their license just like that.

Furthermore, they get a deal on their licensing fees... - $17 rather than $75 for 5 years...

I believe MANDATORY driving tests should be implemented at age 60, and every year thereafter.
Driving is not a right - its a privilege, and this privilege SHOULD be revoked if you are unfit.

You might say that I have no right to write this - as I am a 48 year old - who has their license...
However, I beg to differ.
10 years ago I was broadsided by a 92 year old at a light. It almost killed my daughter in the passenger seat.
When the smoke cleared from the wreckage - he said to me...
"What Happened?"

There was no recourse to remove him from driving and he did NOT lose his license.

Now another obviously unqualified older individual has driven through a window injuring 5...
Check the car - for what? Bet they don't lose their license either. What a joke.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

It isn't fair to automatically assume that people who reach a certain age are going to have impaired driving ability. Yes, it's true that there are some folks who, for various reasons, shouldn't be allowed to drive, but that shouldn't be determined purely by your biological age. Because for every bad accident involving a senior, there are just as many other bad accidents caused by younger drivers. They just don't always make the headlines the way the senior incidents do.

A much fairer and more accurate system would be to require folks to take a driving test every 10 years, regardless of their age. Such testing would improve the driving habits of ALL drivers, weed out those who need to be weeded out, and improve overall road safety.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I would absolutely submit to regular testing, additionally, any deficiencies would require attending a driver education brush-up course.

I'm going to throw this thought into the ring despite the potential fallout. Perhaps there should be a threshold for the type of vehicle one may be permitted to own and operate after a certain age. You know, a limit on size, weight, horsepower, etc. FWIW, I gave up a spicy little Acura in favour of an under-powered AWD wagon/mom-mobile some years ago because it was just bloody well time to grow the hell up.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Merry wrote:It isn't fair to automatically assume that people who reach a certain age are going to have impaired driving ability. Yes, it's true that there are some folks who, for various reasons, shouldn't be allowed to drive, but that shouldn't be determined purely by your biological age. Because for every bad accident involving a senior, there are just as many other bad accidents caused by younger drivers. They just don't always make the headlines the way the senior incidents do.

A much fairer and more accurate system would be to require folks to take a driving test every 10 years, regardless of their age. Such testing would improve the driving habits of ALL drivers, weed out those who need to be weeded out, and improve overall road safety.

While not necessarily a bad idea it would probably increase the license fee exponentially.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”