Close Call by Logan Lake

Home of the traffic rant.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Close Call by Logan Lake

Post by Anonymous123 »

I read it, and confirming that it's "not the case in this video".
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Passing as one is coming up to a blind curve (what view one does have is obstructed by a Semi) in the road imo is extremely foolish decision.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

What_the wrote:Have to wonder, and betting, that the truck driver sped up as soon as the straight stretch started, like they pretty much all do. Forcing the guy to start to pass and accelerate beyond and being safe. The in coming car was already moving to the side.

Nope, not buying the video in context provided.

"Forcing the guy to start to pass...." - are you kidding right now? That passing driver was solely responsible for his own stupidity. Only a moronic selfish idiot makes the choice to do something stupid, in this case that endangered others, and then tries to blame someone else for his own actions! He should have cooled his jets, hung back and driven sensibly. His impatience and "only I count" attitude could have got people killed.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The amazing thing the dick in the vandid not even close up the distance between him and the semi...pretty stupid..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Anonymous123 wrote:
What_the wrote:Have to wonder, and betting, that the truck driver sped up as soon as the straight stretch started, like they pretty much all do. Forcing the guy to start to pass and accelerate beyond and being safe. The in coming car was already moving to the side.

Dizzy1 wrote:That's the problem with dash Cams - especially the ones who regularly upload their videos on YouTube. If you watch carefully enough, they're driving habits instigate a lot of situations in order to shame other drivers.

Not saying that's the case with this video.

So if both you guys check the video you will see that when the car starts to pass the semi is doing 97 Kmh and slows slightly to 95 Kmh. That speed is plenty fast enough. Just another impatient dick, probably from the Central Okanagan. Lord knows we have enough of them.

Sure,"fast enough" in a hundred k zone. That's the speed on literally most highways, single lane as they are throughout our mountainous terrain. You pretty much confirmed my initial thoughts... had to follow the rig doing 60 through out each corner and when a passing lane comes, speed up to 97. Typical for our highways.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Pathetic, how little his life must mean to him to drive like that.

Every since I moved to the okanagan I have been stunned by the level of compete and utter retardation on the roads here, and I came from big truck oil country.

Cops should start pulling licenses and knee capping some of these idiots on the spot.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Anonymous123 wrote:I read it, and confirming that it's "not the case in this video".

So you have seen all footage before the van passed the truck to provide evidence to your "confirmation"? Care to provide a link to that please?

Armchair quarterbacks - God Bless You!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dle wrote:
"Forcing the guy to start to pass...." - are you kidding right now? That passing driver was solely responsible for his own stupidity. Only a moronic selfish idiot makes the choice to do something stupid, in this case that endangered others, and then tries to blame someone else for his own actions! He should have cooled his jets, hung back and driven sensibly. His impatience and "only I count" attitude could have got people killed.

I don't disagree with you, cooling the jets is part of defensive driving. As I stated earlier, it was extreme poor judgement on the van's driver.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

The passer's vehicle appeared at a few milliseconds before the seven second mark, and the double line appears well before the one second mark. So, it's more or less a six second time frame from between the point where the truck bypasses the double line to when the passer is in view of the truck's dash cam.

Does it take six seconds to complete a passing maneuver?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

OldBlindDog wrote:The passer's vehicle appeared at a few milliseconds before the seven second mark, and the double line appears well before the one second mark. So, it's more or less a six second time frame from between the point where the truck bypasses the double line to when the passer is in view of the truck's dash cam.

Does it take six seconds to complete a passing maneuver?

In a Caravan? Probably :laugh:
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

JBX wrote:Pathetic, how little his life must mean to him to drive like that.

Every since I moved to the okanagan I have been stunned by the level of compete and utter retardation on the roads here, and I came from big truck oil country.

Cops should start pulling licenses and knee capping some of these idiots on the spot.

Lol. Oil country... where the roads are straight as far as the dog runs

Yup, I'm a dick. :130:
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

dle wrote:

It's what's known as courtesy. Not defending this particular guy but people are ignorant when it comes to passing lanes.. especially semis
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:The amazing thing the dick in the vandid not even close up the distance between him and the semi...pretty stupid..

The semi load was a Ten Wide, that Peterbilt hood is quite narrow. a little deceiving maybe from the view.

If people even had a slight concept of how to pass a semi safely,
A practical understanding of physics and knowledge of their own vehicles capabilities
would be a decent start.

I certainly would not want to be "stuck" behind a semi that was doing 97 as I meandered along
on cruise at the posted 90... :135:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Regardless of whether or not the line was dashed (or where) the onus is on the driver to ensure it's clear to pass.

The other day I was coming back from Golden. I was in the inside lane over taking a slow moving vehicle in the outside lane. Ahead of them were 2 transport trucks doing well below the posted limit. I'm still in the inside lane as I'm soon to pass the 2 transports. All of a sudden the trailing transports moves into my lane doing about 60km in a 100km zone with just feet to spare. I had to hit the brakes quick to slow substantially or I'd easily would have smacked into the back of him. *bleep* honks at me after he pulls in front of the first truck as though I was wrong. Sir, just because you have a dual passing lane doesn't mean you can cut into it with zero consideration for the vehicles already in the lane, nevermind doing 40km under the limit wen you do so.

Not the case with this video as it's a BC vehicle (though I suppose they may be from out of province) in Ontario it's not illegal to pass on a double line. Not saying I found that out the hard way when I moved here, just that the rules can vary on the same highway just crossings provincial borders.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

What_the wrote:Lol. Oil country... where the roads are straight as far as the dog runs

Could be Grande Cache. Could be FSJ or Dawson. Many a mountain round there that you have to man up to navigate.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”