What % of ticket risk curbs violations ?

Home of the traffic rant.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Re: What % of ticket risk curbs violations ?

Post by Opeeved »

KL3-Something wrote:
Dizzy1"[quote="Woodenhead wrote:Fines should be a % based on one's income.

So it's ok to be punished more then someone else simply based on your income? A ticket is for the crime committed, not your income.

Increase their insurance by all means being that more tickets makes you a potentially higher risk driver.

Ever been to traffic court? With the exception of violations with statutory minimum penalties, the judges invariably reduce the fines for those who state that they are not in a good financial position (and almost everyone claims to be). It's already happening in one direction. Has been for years. Why shouldn't it work in the other direction?

The "punished more" is a relative term.[/quote]
Yep, I have. While the offending cop tried to justify his b.s. ticket. And I won. Then the city was rectifying their culpability with what was past due diligence. I hope you're not that kind "cop" .
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

my5cents wrote:I made up a speed limit, for my fictional highway. Not sure how or why you'd correct my fictional speed limit.

Ok then. Didn't realize we were talking about he Coq. highway that was in your imagination.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Saw this under the "World" section ...

https://www.castanet.net/news/World/211809/30-400-drunk-driving-fine

$30k fine for a DUI based on her income ... the $4.9MM fine would've been interesting to see applied (based on her assets)
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Interesting concept.

Penalties are meant to punishing, and create a deterrent.

In BC, in the 70's and 80's we had a points system, with no monetary penalty. The only cost to the motorist was created by ICBC when a threshold of points was reached in a year. Much like the penalty points we now see that are in addition to the fines.

It didn't work. It was almost like, it was OK to get one speeding ticket a year. The first ticket if 3 points or less was free. In fact the threshold was 5 points so you could get two 2 point tickets for free.

With the rich and powerful what do you do ?

A fine means nothing, a suspention, get a driver, impound the vehicle, buy another.

I know, incarceration for speeding :D
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”