Glenmore Rd truck route?

Home of the traffic rant.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Glenmore Rd truck route?

Post by Grandan »

Glenmore Rd truck route? https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#207040
Contributed - Sep 20, 2017 / 5:00 pm | Story: 207040
I have noticed an increasing amount of truck traffic on Glenmore Road in the past couple years. It is being used as a Hwy 97 bypass. Trucks are getting off Hwy 97 at Lake Country and getting on to Glenmore all the way back to the Hwy 97 from Spall. I have seen logging trucks, dump trucks, transport trucks, really large trucks! Maybe some are there for construction going on in and around Glenmore, but not the majority.

This makes the route way more dangerous, as it is only one lane in both directions most of the way with windy roads that make passing dangerous.

My Husband says there are signs that have truck restrictions for the road but obviously nobody is obeying or enforcing them?

I too have have noticed the large number of trucks using this route. Worse, is that they are using Valley Road N to access Glenmore bypass from Sexsmith. Valley Road N is closed to truck traffic except for the short section from Sexsmith to Scenic yet every week we see hundreds of trucks using the section from Sesxmith to Glenmore Rd . I have seen loaded and unloaded logging trucks in addition to the hundreds of gravel trucks and self loading flat decks, concrete mixers and the like.
The city of Kelowna does not monitor this section and RCMP rarely enforce this ban. Dozens of complaints to both RCMP and City have brought zero results. This same truck traffic feeds the truck problem on Glenmore Road.
There is no sidewalk on the Valley Road N Sexsmith corridor and it scares the crap out of me to see little kids heading to and from school on the bike path while these huge trucks rumble past.
Waste not
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Glenmore Rd truck route?

Post by TylerM4 »

Garbage trucks are considered commercial/heavy trucks and have used glenmore to get to the dump for years. I'm fairly sure it's not a route with a truck restriction.

I think we're just seeing increased traffic in general.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Glenmore Rd is a truck route. I just checked the City's interactive mapping service.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

kgcayenne wrote:7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Glenmore Rd is a truck route. I just checked the City's interactive mapping service.

Yes it is that's correct.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Topic Being Glenmore and Commercial Traffic.
Legal with the previously stated time restriction.

Many, if not most of the Rigs would gladly run 97 if it were more efficient to do so.

Simply, a large portion of the time, it is not.

Side note;

Once on the two lane portion it makes a nice break from being hacked at like on the multi-lane
of Harvey.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

It legal from 7am to 7pm deal with it.

Theres lots of construction going on that side of the lake. Thats why there's been lots of dump trucks. Probably some logging going on too. Ive went that way lots when I drove a logging truck.
xxJDxx

Post by xxJDxx »

Perhaps the city should take measures to reduce the truck traffic or improve the road? I frequent that route and the truck traffic can be not only heavy but extremely slow moving.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”