Good news for responsible drivers (distracted driving)

Home of the traffic rant.
lightspeed
Guru

Good news for responsible drivers (distracted driving)

Post by lightspeed »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210887

"Drivers with two distracted driving tickets in a three-year period will see their total penalties rise to as much as $2,000, an increase of $740 – and this is in addition to their regular insurance premium."

"The province is working to designate distracted driving as a high-risk driving behaviour under the ICBC Driver Risk Premium program"

It won't stop it but the more the punishment fits the crime.....it will have an effect.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
spooker

Re: Good news for responsible drivers (distracted driving)

Post by spooker »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will affect the rates of distracted driving ... with this last increase in penalties it didn't seem to do much to make people stop making the choice to partake in their favourite distraction while driving ...

Fines can only go so far ... enforcement needs to be there to give it more affect ... wish we could take pictures from busses and submit them to the RCMP for ticketing ...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

A step in right direction, maybe those who talk on their cellphone will spend a few dollars on bluetooth device.
As for texters nail them for pure stupidity.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

GordonH wrote:A step in right direction, maybe those who talk on their cellphone will spend a few dollars on bluetooth device.

If stupidity was a criminal offence, the jails will be filled very quickly with "Lifers".
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:A step in right direction, maybe those who talk on their cellphone will spend a few dollars on bluetooth device.

alanjh595 wrote:If stupidity was a criminal offence, the jails will be filled very quickly with "Lifers".

My point is texting while driving is pure stupidity.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Chyren
Board Meister

Put down your cells phones!

Post by Chyren »

Daughter and I played a game yesterday when we were driving around Vernon. In 30 minutes we counted 14 people using their cell phones while driving.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3845974/b-c- ... d-driving/

People just don't get it! When you drive around your area of the North Okanagan how many people do you see?
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Put down your cells phones!

Post by jimmy4321 »

I agree.
What if people got their passengers to record them and send the footage to the police, would that amount to anything? Maybe just a warning? Seriously, I don't know.

At any time heading south in Vernon the bottleneck at Safeway on Hwy97 you can watch at the very least 4 drivers talking or texting phone in hand.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yup.

Ever sit at a green light 15 cars back and wonder why 6 of them won't get off their cell phone and get moving?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

It's one of the reasons I think police should have more unmarked vehicles patrolling traffic. If all of us see countless drivers using their phones evertime we hit the road, a traffic cop in an unmarked should as well.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

There is a lady who drives home from work nearly every weekday just after 4:30 pm and drives through our subdivision. She is ALWAYS on the phone. We speculate that she's on the phone to her kids telling them to turn on the stove or something, but it's every flippin' day.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I think they have to up the penalty, and points against those who are using their phones. I do not know if they do, but the phone should be seized as evidence and held for court. Most court cases are all of 30 days from offense date.

That seizure in itself would be a killer on the fools who can not leave it in their passengers seat.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Chyren wrote:Daughter and I played a game yesterday when we were driving around Vernon. In 30 minutes we counted 14 people using their cell phones while driving.

People just don't get it! When you drive around your area of the North Okanagan how many people do you see?

Hmmmm - playing a game with a child in the car, paying attention to what others are doing behind the wheel. Sounds like distracted driving to me.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Poindexter wrote:It's one of the reasons I think police should have more unmarked vehicles patrolling traffic. If all of us see countless drivers using their phones evertime we hit the road, a traffic cop in an unmarked should as well.

I saw 3 or 4 unmarked police cars between Hope and Abbotsford yesterday.
Some of them still use several antennas, making them easy to spot.

I did honestly use my phone once during the trip. With a headset of course. To report a semi that was driving aggressively and almost rammed me in the process.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Chyren wrote:Daughter and I played a game yesterday when we were driving around Vernon. In 30 minutes we counted 14 people using their cell phones while driving.

Hmmmm - playing a game with a child in the car, paying attention to what others are doing behind the wheel. Sounds like distracted driving to me.

Why is it that there is always that 1 person that wants to find a tiny negative and blow it up?
Did she say she was speeding on highways passing people to see if they were on their phones? Nope. It doesnt take much to see someone on their phone while around town, its quite obvious!!! and then all they had to do was count 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Thread was started here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=75372

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”