Traffic light

Home of the traffic rant.
deedub
Fledgling

Traffic light

Post by deedub »

So they are putting in a new traffic light on Hwy. 97 by Sheepskin World ? Just what we need , another way to slow traffic .
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: traffic light

Post by Always Sunny »

From what I understand it’s required because they’re planning to increase the speed through the area to 80km once the expansion is complete. One would think eliminating the left hand turns into the highway would be the safest bet, but ok.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:From what I understand it’s required because they’re planning to increase the speed through the area to 80km once the expansion is complete. One would think eliminating the left hand turns into the highway would be the safest bet, but ok.

Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong - but that stretch has always been 80km/h - has it not?

90km/h to the airport
80km/h from the airport to McCurdy
70km/h from McCurdy to Hwy 33
60Km/h from Hwy 33 to around Gordon
50km/h from around Gordon to the bridge where it goes back up to 60km/h
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Always Sunny wrote:From what I understand it’s required because they’re planning to increase the speed through the area to 80km once the expansion is complete. One would think eliminating the left hand turns into the highway would be the safest bet, but ok.

Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong - but that stretch has always been 80km/h - has it not?

90km/h to the airport
80km/h from the airport to McCurdy
70km/h from McCurdy to Hwy 33
60Km/h from Hwy 33 to around Gordon
50km/h from around Gordon to the bridge where it goes back up to 60km/h

All the way from McCurdy though? I honestly hadn’t thought it was 80km until past Edwards Road there. But that construction has been in place for so long now, I honestly can’t recall what the original speed limit was through there.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:All the way from McCurdy though? I honestly hadn’t thought it was 80km until past Edwards Road there. But that construction has been in place for so long now, I honestly can’t recall what the original speed limit was through there.

LOL I know where you're coming from - I really had to think about that too [icon_lol2.gif]

I'm pretty sure I got it pretty close to the way it used to be - I even looked on Google Streetview but its got the construction on there too LOL!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Yes, it was 80k through that area before construction.
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they dropped it to
70 or even 60 though.

As they did in Winfield years ago, took an 80 k zone that was two lane
turned it into a 4 lane divided and it was at 50k for years before finally
coming up to the present 70k.
The amount of fines issued must have been astounding.

I'm sure the couple of big Transportation Companies that have their warehouses
down behind Kal Tire, and the Kal Tire customers as well as other area businesses
will think the light a Godsend.

Me, Personally, detest the out right over use of lights in the Region.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Last thing Hwy 97/Harvey needs is another traffic light, unfortunately there not enough room/land in the area for an underpass.
Between YLW and the Connector there is far to many traffic lights, impo terrible vision by the former Department of Highways. May have cost more back in the day to install overpasses on Kelowna side & underpasses on westside. It would have benefited traffic flow for a very long time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dirtybiker wrote:As they did in Winfield years ago, took an 80 k zone that was two lane

That was so flippin' frustrating ... 50km/h all the way from Beaver Rd to Holiday Park :swear:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Last thing Hwy 97/Harvey needs is another traffic light, unfortunately there not enough room/land in the area for an underpass.
Between YLW and the Connector there is far to many traffic lights, impo terrible vision by the former Department of Highways. May have cost more back in the day to install overpasses on Kelowna side & underpasses on westside. It would have benefited traffic flow for a very long time.

In all fairness - they need the light there for all the extra traffic expected when the IKEA and Olive Garden go up in that area next year :runforlife:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Dizzy1 wrote:That was so flippin' frustrating ... 50km/h all the way from Beaver Rd to Holiday Park :swear:

I meant the other side, from Barry Rd (Berry?) to Oceola..

That was painful.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ :laugh: good one Dizzy1
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dirtybiker wrote:
I meant the other side, from Barry Rd (Berry?) to Oceola..

That was painful.

I totally forgot about that LOL - bad enough still being at 70km/h
GordonH wrote:^^^ :laugh: good one Dizzy1

Gotta have a bit of fun now and then - can't always be too serious :up:
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

dirtybiker wrote:Yes, it was 80k through that area before construction.
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they dropped it to
70 or even 60 though.

As they did in Winfield years ago, took an 80 k zone that was two lane

I'm sure the couple of big Transportation Companies that have their warehouses
down behind Kal Tire, and the Kal Tire customers as well as other area businesses
will think the light a Godsend.

Me, Personally, detest the out right over use of lights in the Region.

I believe after construction, it went from 80 down to 60. It was there for several years then upped to 70.

Back then I got a laugh at the AB tourists travelling S/B from Vernon. The winding road adjacent to Wood Lk. It was two lanes and the speed was 80 k. Then S/B you arrive at Osceola, the road opened up to four lanes, and the speed went down to 60 k. For the RCMP it must have been like shooting fish in a barrel.

Obviously the Highways Dept designed the roadway for a faster speed limit than 60 because there was even yellow warning lights at Berry (S/B at least) warning that the light was going to change (in a 60 zone ?)

In street view as of June 2016, the limit is 70 S/B until just North of Lodge, then down to 50, and the same yellow warning lights at Berry now in a 50 zone.

Across from Osceola is Woodsdale. Across from Berry is Berry
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Traffic light

Post by KL3-Something »

It’ll make more sense when the punch Hollywood road through from McCurdy through to the highway at that intersection. Then when it will go through the industrial area on Loyd Rd to connect with Cambro Rd then to Hollywood Rd/Academy Way where the new light on Sexsmith is.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Traffic light

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

That is what I was thinking the new light on Cambro and Sexsmith was installed this year and will hook up to the highway south of there.
If all goes to plan, then eventually this will go thru to the airport Quail Ridge road, and keep traffic to local business off 97 at Reid's Corner.
Is there only 2 of us on here that know about this.,?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”