What are the rules for studded tires?

Home of the traffic rant.
Eyeswideopen
Board Meister

What are the rules for studded tires?

Post by Eyeswideopen »

Seems a lot of people have them around here. You can tell just by the sound they make.

I saw vehicles driving around with studded tires in July last year. Surely there must be some rules about that.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: What are the rules for studded tires?

Post by prairieflower »

Found through Google....
http://www.bchighway.com/regulations/studded-tires.html
"In British Columbia (BC) Under the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations, tires with studs up to 3.5 mm high can only be used between October 1 and April 30. The regulations limit tires to 130 studs each for vehicles weighing less than 4,600 kg, or 175 studs each for vehicles weighing more than that. It’s important to note you can only use studded tires on the front wheels if you’re using them on rear wheels also (at least one studded tire per rear wheel). This means if you have a rear wheel drive vehicle you usually only use the studded tires on the rear wheels; however if you have a front wheel drive vehicle and use studded tires on the front wheels you must mount studded tires on the rear wheels also."

But you would also need Bylaw to enforce the law, which is seriously lacking around the Okanagan..
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

prairieflower wrote:Found through Google....
http://www.bchighway.com/regulations/studded-tires.html
"In British Columbia (BC) Under the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations, tires with studs up to 3.5 mm high can only be used between October 1 and April 30. The regulations limit tires to 130 studs each for vehicles weighing less than 4,600 kg, or 175 studs each for vehicles weighing more than that. It’s important to note you can only use studded tires on the front wheels if you’re using them on rear wheels also (at least one studded tire per rear wheel). This means if you have a rear wheel drive vehicle you usually only use the studded tires on the rear wheels; however if you have a front wheel drive vehicle and use studded tires on the front wheels you must mount studded tires on the rear wheels also."

But you would also need Bylaw to enforce the law, which is seriously lacking around the Okanagan..

I found that to be an interesting statement. I have a rear wheel drives vehicle and I put on studded tires all the way around. Traction for steering is equally important as tracking for acceleration. Also when you consider most of the braking is down by your front brakes, studded tires up front are very important. But I’m no tire expert.

Also this would not be a bylaw issue but a DOT or RCMP issue.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I agree Treeguy, all four corners need to have the same attention to detail
followed.

Going is no good if one cannot turn or stop as well.

Keep it equal.

And when one considered the grades of our roadways, and the penchant for the designs
of them, and our Regional topography that tends to put stops and turns on
sloping grades.
Then it only stands to reason to have 4 equal corners.

If one cannot get up a certain hill, one should not attempt to go down.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

TreeGuy wrote:I found that to be an interesting statement. I have a rear wheel drives vehicle and I put on studded tires all the way around. Traction for steering is equally important as tracking for acceleration. Also when you consider most of the braking is down by your front brakes, studded tires up front are very important. But I’m no tire expert.

Also this would not be a bylaw issue but a DOT or RCMP issue.

Studded tires are regulated under the Regulations Pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Act of BC, a provincial statute, enforced by police throughout the province, not bylaw officers, who enforce municipal bylaws.

You are very correct to put studs on the front if you have them on the rear.

An easy demonstration. Take a toy car and "stop" the back wheels, lets say with an elastic. So now the toy is replicating a vehicle with braking only on the rear. Place the toy car on a flat surface that you can tilt. Now tilt the surface with the front of the toy car facing down. Watch what happens.

You'd think, the rear wheels of the toy being stopped would hold back the vehicle and the vehicle would remain aligned front down the slope as it slid down the slope. Nope the back will exchange with the front and the toy vehicle will slide backwards.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Eyeswideopen wrote:Seems a lot of people have them around here. You can tell just by the sound they make.

I saw vehicles driving around with studded tires in July last year. Surely there must be some rules about that.

I've followed vehicle at night with studded tires there were sparks. At first I was going WTH, as I passed the vehicle I could hear that familiar sound of studded tires. It as the middle of summer time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
spooker

Post by spooker »

I'll be glad to get out of this weather and take off my studded tires ... slows me down and I get really impatient ... then I remember what it feels like walking on this crap and realize that I'm safer rolling along ...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

spooker wrote:I'll be glad to get out of this weather and take off my studded tires ... slows me down and I get really impatient ... then I remember what it feels like walking on this crap and realize that I'm safer rolling along ...

Do you have studded bike tires?
Bring back the LIKE button.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I read studded and thought they were talking about me!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

BoB76 wrote:I read studded and thought they were talking about me!

having a spare tire doesn't make you a stud
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

BoB76 wrote:I read studded and thought they were talking about me!

LTD wrote: a spare tire doesn't make you a stud

I actually found a photo online to the contrary. He is quite studded. Way to go BoB76!

bob1.jpg
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

If that's what the left-overs look like from behind the Rutland 7-11
dumpster.
'splains a lot....

Ya,ya...removed off topic.... [icon_lol2.gif]

I haven't run studded tires since my ice race days.
Just good, siped, brand named winters.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
spooker

Post by spooker »

alanjh595 wrote:Do you have studded bike tires?

Yes, I have a couple of Kenda Klondikes that I put on my bike when it gets frozen ... especially necessary when it melts during the day and then freezes slick overnight ... during the first winter of riding you learn to turn more with the front wheel than the usual leaning into it that would work on dry surfaces ...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

spooker wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Do you have studded bike tires?

Yes, I have a couple of Kenda Klondikes that I put on my bike when it gets frozen ... especially necessary when it melts during the day and then freezes slick overnight ... during the first winter of riding you learn to turn more with the front wheel than the usual leaning into it that would work on dry surfaces ...

You will need them today. It is slick out there.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If you drive with studded tires, you are a law breaking ignorant hatemongering jerkface.

Think about it. You MUST have winter tires come October 1st, but you cannot have studded tires BEFORE October 1st. Since there aren't enough tire shops to put on everyone's winter tires on October 1st, you might not get your car in the tire shop on exactly October 1st, therefore, you will have to either get them done in September, and drive illegally with studs, or do it in October and drive illegally with summer tires. People on Castanet get really upset when they see people driving around with summer tires in October.

Do you know who else breaks the law? Pedophiles. So you're breaking the law just like a pedophile.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”