Another Senior Drives Into Kelowna Building

Home of the traffic rant.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: Another Senior Drives Into Kelowna Building

Post by StraitTalk »

Every time this comes up it's the same song and dance. Some people call for mandatory testing, others say that everyone crashes, not just old people.

The difference is that you can't sit an adolescent in a car, drive with them for 30 minutes and know they're going to make an irresponsible decision two months from then. You can however, get in a car with my grandpa and know within 30 seconds it may be the last decision you ever make.

Sorry folks, but as someone who had his grandpa almost pass (with my grandma and two of their friends in the car) due to rolling forward at an intersection because he couldn't feel the brake pedal, I am firmly in belief that anything that can prevent needless injury or loss of life is good, and is not worth starting a *bleep* contest over ageism. We're all abundantly aware that sometimes our elders are too damn stubborn to leave the keys at home while also being completely unsafe behind the wheel.

"It could happen to anyone" is just an excuse, and not even a good one.
jasonjb

Post by jasonjb »

I was in an accident 3 weeks ago caused by an 70 year old driver with his two young granddaughters in the truck running a red light a good 7 seconds after the light went green, light was green my whole approach to the intersection for me. Totaled my car and the impact was so big my car was thrown into another one that was stopped at the intersection.

No way was this guy in good enough shape to be driving but I doubt the police officer at the scene even gave him a ticket.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

This last one leaves me shaking my head. When you're parked in front of those doors you are on quite an incline and the stoop is quite a bit higher than the cars...this lady must have floored it to get up in there. Thank God no one was standing there.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

As a standard driver, I could never understand how you could hit “the wrong pedal” and crash into something while you’re parking. As I’ve been renting vehicles a lot lately and they all come with automatic, it seems to me that likely what is happening is that people are driving in parking lots without their feet on either pedal. Letting the car just coast on its own. DONT DO THIS! Drive your car, don’t let your car drive you. If you keep your foot on the pedals, there is no possible way you could be hitting the wrong pedal.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Omnitheo wrote:As a standard driver, I could never understand how you could hit “the wrong pedal” and crash into something while you’re parking. As I’ve been renting vehicles a lot lately and they all come with automatic, it seems to me that likely what is happening is that people are driving in parking lots without their feet on either pedal. Letting the car just coast on its own. DONT DO THIS! Drive your car, don’t let your car drive you. If you keep your foot on the pedals, there is no possible way you could be hitting the wrong pedal.

I think they have a foot on each petal and just get confused. I've met a number of seniors who drive with two feet all the time in automatics.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I for one never walk betwixt running vehicles and solid objects.
(within reason)
I caution anyone else on this practice also.

As often as this store ramming happens it is only a matter
of time till there is a person betwixt.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jasonjb wrote:I was in an accident 3 weeks ago caused by an 70 year old driver with his two young granddaughters in the truck running a red light a good 7 seconds after the light went green, light was green my whole approach to the intersection for me. Totaled my car and the impact was so big my car was thrown into another one that was stopped at the intersection.

No way was this guy in good enough shape to be driving but I doubt the police officer at the scene even gave him a ticket.

What good would a ticket do, if what you think caused the collision is accurate ? If the driver should be re-examined, then the police officer should have used a protocol in placed where they request a license review.

A ticket would only impact the driver if he had many, and still wouldn't result in a retest.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

OK, here's one you can't blame on a senior driver.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... storefront

"The BC-plated truck had a L on its back.

The father of the driver called it a “fluke accident” that may have been mechanical error, but it's unclear. He said his son placed the truck in park and the vehicle lurched towards the window unexpectedly. "
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ either way the parents could be having some free chores being done for next "x" months around the home. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

GordonH wrote:^^^ either way the parents could be having some free chores being done for next "x" months around the home. lol

I doubt it! If they are letting their 16 year old new driver with an L drive a truck like that, I sense one self entitled teen.
Father would have been wise to say nothing. Story doesn't say who the adult was with the driver. Was it the father or another adult.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:either way the parents could be having some free chores being done for next "x" months around the home. lol

southy wrote:I doubt it! If they are letting their 16 year old new driver with an L drive a truck like that, I sense one self entitled teen.
Father would have been wise to say nothing. Story doesn't say who the adult was with the driver. Was it the father or another adult.

Good point , I'm a son of whole different generation of parents.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

southy wrote:
GordonH wrote:^^^ either way the parents could be having some free chores being done for next "x" months around the home. lol

I doubt it! If they are letting their 16 year old new driver with an L drive a truck like that, I sense one self entitled teen.

an L is a learners license what would you expect the kid to learn on, a ten speed. how do you figure the kids self entitled when I learned it was in dads truck hows this any different his father also said the kid put it in park implying that he was with him
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

LTD wrote:
southy wrote:

an L is a learners license what would you expect the kid to learn on, a ten speed. how do you figure the kids self entitled when I learned it was in dads truck hows this any different his father also said the kid put it in park implying that he was with him

He also said could be mechanical issue. Ha yeah right because mechanical issues happen all the time. Not sure of any figures but don't recall any of these vehicles through store windows have been because of mechanical issue, its always driver error. IMO
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

You know LTD you could be right … this young fellow perhaps could have learned a little more on a ten speed bike. I have a 16 year old who has an L … he is driving a small compact. I also have a brand new pickup that he is not allowed to even think about driving. To much power and weight for a beginner. Plus, my insurance costs prohibit insuring it for him.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”