Close highways sooner??

Home of the traffic rant.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: Close highways sooner??

Post by dodgerdodge »

dirtybiker wrote:I'm thinking some people are just daft and should just not go out !

I'll say it again..Ban passenger vehicles from the big road and
the vast amounts of incidents will be greatly reduced.
If your not hauling goods, you don't belong.

And all the bubble-wrapped entitled ones can just go to their
keyboards and have all their consumables delivered so they can stay
safely at home and attempt to not slip in the shower or cut themselves
chopping broccoli.

Yes that will work because we have never had any accidents involving semis driven by professional drivers. We have never seen semis speeding excessively in poor conditions and we certainly haven't had much damage done after a fully loaded speeding semi has wiped out taking with it other vehicles and costing thousands in recovery charges and lost goods for the end customer. :200:
Endless accidents on Coq this season, ice, slush, snow, rain, wind, and often lack of decent gritting but hey doesn't matter what you drive, slow the heck down and pay attention its that simple.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Being a commercial driver the biggest frustration I have when road conditions are bad are the drivers that are driving to slow. Im talking about the ones that are going way below the posted speed limit and have a line up of 6-10 vehicles behind them. Please stay off the road or at least have the courtesy to use a pullout to let others safely pass by.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Gixxer wrote:Being a commercial driver the biggest frustration I have when road conditions are bad are the drivers that are driving to slow. Im talking about the ones that are going way below the posted speed limit and have a line up of 6-10 vehicles behind them. Please stay off the road or at least have the courtesy to use a pullout to let others safely pass by.

Since you are a commercial driver & most likely seen just about every scenario possible happen. I'd suggest increasing your patience level. Traffic is not going to change anytime soon, this will include good..... bad & ugly drivers (I'm not talking about physical appearance).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Oh I know it is what it is. Just stating that there is such a thing as driving too slow for road conditions as well.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Patience my *bleep* ? Learn to drive ! Show some respect & courtesy for others, pull over when you have vehicles behind you.

If winter driving scares why not make other arraignments ?

A very dangerous practice in any weather is drivers who have 5 or 6 others following behind them but will speed up in a passing lane which keeps others from passing which cancels the very reason for having it.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

one wheel wrote:Patience my *bleep* ? Learn to drive ! Show some respect & courtesy for others, pull over when you have vehicles behind you.

A very dangerous practice in any weather is drivers who have 5 or 6 others following behind them but will speed up in a passing lane which keeps others from passing which cancels the very reason for having it.

The highway in question (this thread) has a right lane & a passing lane. Use each lane properly
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

one wheel wrote:Patience my *bleep* ? Learn to drive ! Show some respect & courtesy for others, pull over when you have vehicles behind you.

It amazing how often this happens. Not sure where it comes from, but it seems to be more and more common.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

dodgerdodge wrote:Professionalism at its finest:

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/220331 ... ach-chains

Owner should be slapped with fines, impo if the trucker made custom modification that made installing chains impossible. Then that trucker should never take jobs that cause him/her on mountain passes in winter/snow months.
What an idiot
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

dodgerdodge wrote:Professionalism at its finest:

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/220331 ... ach-chains

GordonH wrote:Owner should be slapped with fines, impo if the trucker made custom modification that made installing chains impossible. Then that trucker should never take jobs that cause him/her on mountain passes in winter/snow months.
What an idiot

oldtrucker wrote:The story does not indicate what kind of load the gooseneck was carrying,where it originated from and whether permits were taken out to get it to where its going. Maybe the load came out of California or Texas or...

Doesn't matter where it was coming from, trucker knows he/she can't put chains on this truck. So they should not have taking routes that go over mountain passes in the winter/snow months.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

oldtrucker wrote:The permit may have been only for a specific route, and applicable to the load whatever it is.

Clearly that truck should never see mountain passes in the winter/snow months. Can't put chains on, so stay the hell of those highways.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Was the chain up sign on??

I always take my quarter fenders off on the front axle and use removable mud flaps on the rear axle. I can chain both axles up in under 5.minutes.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Triples C'mon. When a driver has to do it up to 3-4 times a day they learn some tricks.
alex_mercer

Post by alex_mercer »

If the highways are closing anytime soon, I guess we'll have to return to our good old bicycles.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

There does not seem to be much of a problem keeping big rigs off the during snow events in the USA north east:
It wasn't much better on the ground, with Pennsylvania and New York banning big rigs from some major highways and transit agencies reducing or cancelling service on trains and buses.

It boggles my mind that a big rig with smoothies all round would be allowed on the Coquihalla during one of the blinding snow storms.
Chains may help you up a slippery hill but they are going to do dick when going down hill through the twisties.
It reminds me of people who put snow tires on the front wheels of their front wheel drive cars and are surprised when they do a 180 trying to stop.
Chaining up a big rig is not enough for overall public safety, proper winter tires on the trailers is needed. Studded when needed.
An inspection station ahead of the worst sections may need to be opened to keep the fools from creating carnage.
It is really hard for many drivers to imagine how bad it can be when they spend their lives driving the flat prairie or the rainy lower mainland and then encounter the downhill section around the Big Bear snow shed. It seems that most of the major accidents involve jackknifed semi's on a downhill.
Waste not

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”