Important for all Kelowna drivers

Home of the traffic rant.
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Important for all Kelowna drivers

Post by Omnitheo »

Yes the article is about Ontario, but it specifically mentions an equivalent fine in BC for turning into the wrong lane.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Omnitheo wrote:Yes the article is about Ontario, but it specifically mentions an equivalent fine in BC for turning into the wrong lane.

Well if it was in the media, it's got to be correct.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Was talking with a friend who works in 911 dispatch about this.

It's enforceable under the motor vehicle act.
Just went upstairs and asked 2 traffic members (they ONLY deal with traffic infractions, no other files) and they both said the person turning into the wrong lane is violating the traffic act. Section 151(a)-change lanes unsafely is what they'd most likely charge them under. They can also use sec 151.1(3) improper use of leftmost lane, and finally, 151(d) left turn from wrong lane (depending on the circumstance).
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Omnitheo wrote:Was talking with a friend who works in 911 dispatch about this.
Just went upstairs and asked 2 traffic members (they ONLY deal with traffic infractions, no other files) and they both said the person turning into the wrong lane is violating the traffic act. Section 151(a)-change lanes unsafely is what they'd most likely charge them under. They can also use sec 151.1(3) improper use of leftmost lane, and finally, 151(d) left turn from wrong lane (depending on the circumstance).

"is violating the traffic act"... It's called the Motor Vehicle Act

"Section 151(a)-change lanes unsafely" ..... Of course that would be conditional on doing something unsafely, if there were no other vehicles. If you are going to say "well turning into the wrong lane is unsafe" the defense to that is Sec 165(2)(c), the section that doesn't specify a lane to turn into, just right of centre. Also refer to my last point, there are no marked lanes inside an intersection, so how can you be charged with "unsafely changing a lane, if there is no lane" ?

"They can also use sec 151.1(3) improper use of leftmost lane".... not even close, this is the section that tells us that if we are driving on a laned roadway with a speed limit of at least 80 KPH you can't remain in the leftmost lane on the approach of a vehicle in that lane. Nothing at all to do with left turns.

"and finally, 151(d) left turn from wrong lane (depending on the circumstance)"....151(d) talks about approaching an intersection on a laned roadway that you must be in the left lane, it says nothing about which lane to turn INTO. It talks about BEFORE the turn.

All these sections involve Sec 151 and it's subsections, which involve a LANED ROADWAY. Next time you are out driving, count the number a lanes inside an intersection...... zero. Technically inside an intersection, except for lines indicating the paths for turning vehicles in multi turn lanes, the roadway is not a laned roadway.

That's why (and this will get everyone going as well) It isn't illegal to change lanes in an intersection. Ya ya ya, I know you are certain that it is and this and that, but how can you be charged with changing lanes, when there is NO LANE.

These were the experts, eh ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Omnitheo wrote:Was talking with a friend who works in 911 dispatch about this.

That’s funny, sincee the radio room operators are in an office about 10km away from the traffic section. And they’re already housed on the top floor of the building that they’re in.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

KL3-Something wrote:That’s funny, sincee the radio room operators are in an office about 10km away from the traffic section. And they’re already housed on the top floor of the building that they’re in.

Maybe the friend isn't in Kelowna?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

[url][/url]Indeed my friend is not in kelowna. Nice try deflecting though.

And this response was in regards to a girl left turning across lanes in an intersection into the far lane, while I was turning right. She honked at me when she almost drove into me as though I was in the wrong for her illegal actions.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Omnitheo wrote:
And this response was in regards to a girl left turning across lanes in an intersection into the far lane, while I was turning right. She honked at me when she almost drove into me as though I was in the wrong for her illegal actions.

You were, as has been stated it may be common decency to turn into the left lane particularly when others like you are trying to merge into right lane BUT there is no legal requirement according to KL3 so you were obliged to merge safely by waiting until your lane was clear.
Bettyb
Fledgling

Post by Bettyb »

If you do that on your MC licence test you will FAIL
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dodgerdodge wrote:
You were, as has been stated it may be common decency to turn into the left lane particularly when others like you are trying to merge into right lane BUT there is no legal requirement according to KL3 so you were obliged to merge safely by waiting until your lane was clear.

I thought he said he was turning into the right lane which would mean he had the right of way and not the person turning left in front of him.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Bsuds wrote:I thought he said he was turning into the right lane which would mean he had the right of way and not the person turning left in front of him.

If he was turning right on red while the person turning left on an advanced green then that assumption of right-of-way would not be correct
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

spooker wrote:If he was turning right on red while the person turning left on an advanced green then that assumption of right-of-way would not be correct

Yes I did think of that as the exception.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Light was green. I was turning right, she was turning left. I turned into my lane and she turned wide encroaching into mine. she was following other cars who managed to correctly turn into the appropriate lane.

Interesting how DriveBC, ICBC instructors, police officers, and traffic enforcement all seem to believe that you are supposed to stay in your lane, and turn into the close lane.

Yet two people here think they’re either above the law, or that the law is wrong.

Since traffic enforcement has stated many times how they would fine drivers for this behaviour, perhaps it would just be better safe than sorry, and turn into the appropriate lane rather than risking a fine and the safety of other drivers.

If the images from DriveBC in the first post aren’t clear enough, here is ICBC

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Do ... ivers4.pdf
Refer to page 10.

This suggests if you are in an accident while crossing lanes in an intersection, you will be found at fault.

So what we have here are 2 options:
A)Turn into the correct lane.
B) stubbornly ignore all evidence suggesting you should turn into the correct lane, and risk a fine, or an accident which you will be at fault for.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Just read the law. It's all there. It's not writen in code, it's not secret.

Interpreting the law and explaining the law, from years of experience, isn't believing "I'm above the law", it's just explaining the law.

Personally I don't care if you believe me or not. I still think it's best to turn into the left most lane. But the law doesn't require that.

Other confusion is generated by the fact we have vehicle examiners and ICBC suggesting turning into the left most lane, but not making it clear that their suggestion and testing requirements are a "best practice" and not advising that it doesn't actually follow the MVA.

If you come up to a situation where you stop at a red traffic light NOT at an intersection (ie, a mid block pedestrian operated traffic light) after stopping and the ped has cleared, you can drive through the red light. If observed by a cop, depending in their traffic knowledge you may get a ticket. It's perfectly legal, just not well known even by police.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Omnitheo wrote:Light was green. I was turning right, she was turning left. I turned into my lane and she turned wide encroaching into mine. she was following other cars who managed to correctly turn into the appropriate lane.

Since the light was green for you turning right then she was in the wrong ...

Omnitheo wrote:Yet two people here think they’re either above the law, or that the law is wrong.

To try and clarify again, there is nothing in the BC MVA that requires you "by law" to turn into the nearest lane ... of course it's what's taught and if you don't do it and get into an accident you're an idiot ... but as KL3-something said, it's not the law, and there is no specific violation that you can get for turning into a different lane, as they have for other provinces ...

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”