Ghost cars

Home of the traffic rant.
spokenut

Ghost cars

Post by spokenut »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/221773 ... t-gunpoint

Personally, I will not stop for a ghost car. I’ve never thought it was safe having unmarked police vehicles doing traffic stops, as grill lights are easy to buy. If a vehicle with just flashing blue lights tries to pull me over, I continue driving to the nearest police station and will only stop for a marked police car.
my5cents
Guru

Re: Ghost cars

Post by my5cents »

spokenut wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/221773/Held-at-gunpoint

Personally, I will not stop for a ghost car. I’ve never thought it was safe having unmarked police vehicles doing traffic stops, as grill lights are easy to buy. If a vehicle with just flashing blue lights tries to pull me over, I continue driving to the nearest police station and will only stop for a marked police car.

Good Luck

"emergency vehicle" means any of the following:
    (c) a motor vehicle, or cycle as defined in Part 3, driven by a peace officer, constable or member of the police branch of Her Majesty's Armed Forces in the discharge of his or her duty;

Approach of emergency vehicle

177 On the immediate approach of an emergency vehicle giving an audible signal by a bell, siren or exhaust whistle, and showing a visible flashing red light, except when otherwise directed by a peace officer, a driver must yield the right of way, and immediately drive to a position parallel to and as close as possible to the nearest edge or curb of the roadway, clear of an intersection, and stop and remain in that position until the emergency vehicle has passed.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

spokenut wrote:Personally, I will not stop for a ghost car. I’ve never thought it was safe having unmarked police vehicles doing traffic stops, as grill lights are easy to buy. If a vehicle with just flashing blue lights tries to pull me over, I continue driving to the nearest police station and will only stop for a marked police car.

That is a very dangerous attitude to take. How many times have you been "pulled over"?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

spokenut wrote:If a vehicle with just flashing blue lights tries to pull me over, I continue driving to the nearest police station and will only stop for a marked police car.

LOL somebody is getting PIT maneuver'ed and tasered very soon.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Even Steven wrote:LOL somebody is getting PIT maneuver'ed and tasered very soon.

You forgot the spike belt.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Quite a long number of years ago in Alberta (the Calgary area), there was a guy driving around in a Town Car type of vehicle with a fake police light and was pulling over single females. There were rapes and attempted rapes reported. We were advised to drive to the nearest town/police station at that time if we felt that something wasn't right. This was told to us by the RCMP and that we would not be in trouble for it. It helped calm nerves for those of us who drove from Calgary to the outlying towns going home at night and it was a huge relief when he was caught.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

spokenut wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/221773/Held-at-gunpoint

If the lights (blue AND red) and siren aren't enough for you, OK. But at the very least you need to put your 4-way flashers, drive slowly and call 911. Ask the operator if there is a police car trying to pull you over. That will take about 30 seconds.

Just be prepared to be handed a "fail to stop for police" ticket.

Unmarked police vehicles aren't going anywhere....they are far too effective for enforcement.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Wouldn't using your cell phone while driving, create a new "coupon" for the driver?
Bring back the LIKE button.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

you can call 911 and explain the situation, they will very quickly tell you if it is legitimate RCMP or not, chances are, it is
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Kelowna Traffic Services officers are using "GHOST CARS" to MAXIMIZE or enhance ticket revenue...........safety is secondary.

It has been proven that MARKED police vehicles can control (slow down) moving vehicle traffic just by their presence.

In summary........GHOST CARS = $$$$$
........MARKED CARS = SAFETY
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

lesliepaul wrote:Kelowna Traffic Services officers are using "GHOST CARS" to MAXIMIZE or enhance ticket revenue...........safety is secondary.

It has been proven that MARKED police vehicles can control (slow down) moving vehicle traffic just by their presence.

In summary........GHOST CARS = $$$$$
........MARKED CARS = SAFETY

? What's this : "It has been proven that MARKED police vehicles can control (slow down) moving vehicle traffic just by their presence" ???

Any police car, especially a marked police car will slow down traffic. and..... you needed to say ? "slow down moving traffic" ? How would you go about slowing down stopped traffic ????

For traffic enforcement, a "ghost", (unmarked) police vehicle doesn't pose a great danger. When a violator is identified, the unmarked police vehicle pulls in behind and the officer illuminates the various emergency lights and perhaps the siren not a whole lot different from a marked car.

Where potential danger comes, in, and there are lots of unmarked police vehicles being operated that aren't assigned to traffic duties, is when an unmarked police vehicle is travelling code three (siren and lights) to get to an emergency. They certainly aren't as visible. That's where their training and experience comes in.

BUT, the mere fact that a marked police vehicle is travelling code three, doesn't negate the risk associated with police work, there are MANY low watt bulbs (citizens) out there driving among us. Some don't even alert to fire trucks going code three.

As for the situation of a citizen displaying a flashing light and pulling someone over. I would consider pulling over and stopping. Making sure all door were locked. Immediately dial 911 AFTER stopping. Checking the validity of the stop.

If while stopped the person playing police officer starts doing things that don't seem to be consistent with a police officer, your on the phone with 911 and he is standing outside of his vehicle, drive off, at this time 911 can dispatch real police. The phoney cop will have seen you on the phone and likely want to head the other direction.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

You've been watching to much "Criminal Minds".
Life is tough enough, use rational decision making.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jimmy4321 wrote:You've been watching to much "Criminal Minds".
Life is tough enough, use rational decision making.

How did you know ? That's where I get all my ideas for police procedures. Especially the part where they arrest the suspect, place him in the police vehicle and then head to the station code three.

and your rational solution to the question is........
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

It was mostly a response to the original post.lol
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

lesliepaul wrote:Kelowna Traffic Services officers are using "GHOST CARS" to MAXIMIZE or enhance ticket revenue...........safety is secondary.

It's also been proven that as people get more tickets they change their driving behavior or lose their license. In which case they stop driving altogether.

More ghost cars = more tickets written. More tickets written = more safety.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”