Daytime Running Lights

Home of the traffic rant.
twofingers
Board Meister

Daytime Running Lights

Post by twofingers »

I suppose I am spoiled after seeing DRLs on the vast majority of vehicles I meet on the highways throughout Canada in the past 30 years. When I do run into one without them, (especially on a low-visibility day), my brain takes an extra second to register that there is actually a car there.
Since 1989, it’s been legislated that any new vehicle sold in (or imported into) Canada must be equipped with DRLs.
Lately, I have spotted (especially in the South Okanagan) a lot of vehicles that are 10 or fewer years old, with BC plates, with no DRLs. Today, I counted 11 between Peachland and Osoyoos.
Even if these were originally USA registered vehicles, they would have had to be modified to include DRLs prior to registration in BC.
How did this happen?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Daytime Running Lights

Post by Grandan »

twofingers wrote:I suppose I am spoiled after seeing DRLs on the vast majority of vehicles I meet on the highways throughout Canada in the past 30 years. When I do run into one without them, (especially on a low-visibility day), my brain takes an extra second to register that there is actually a car there.
Since 1989, it’s been legislated that any new vehicle sold in (or imported into) Canada must be equipped with DRLs.
Lately, I have spotted (especially in the South Okanagan) a lot of vehicles that are 10 or fewer years old, with BC plates, with no DRLs. Today, I counted 11 between Peachland and Osoyoos.
Even if these were originally USA registered vehicles, they would have had to be modified to include DRLs prior to registration in BC.
How did this happen?

The reason may be that their high beams are burned out because that is where the daytime running lights are circuited through on some vehicles but at a lower voltage so that they will run for a long time without burning out. Lots of nighttime driving on high beam will of course burn out your high beams and voila, no daytime running lights.
Waste not
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

twofingers wrote:I suppose I am spoiled after seeing DRLs on the vast majority of vehicles I meet on the highways throughout Canada in the past 30 years. When I do run into one without them, (especially on a low-visibility day), my brain takes an extra second to register that there is actually a car there.
How did this happen?

I know of one instance, a friend of mine, driving a Toyota. The DRL stopped working. He went to the Toyota dealer and was quoted something like $500 for a new "module".

He said screw it and just kept driving with no DRL (I don't agree, but that's what he did)

One day while driving through West Kelowna he was pulled over and given a check up slip to get the DRL working.

Ya, I know I don't believe it either, I personally haven't seen a cop anywhere in all my driving in the last two weeks.

Anyway he went to his non-dealership mechanic that he generally relies on for oil changes etc, He diagnosed the problem, a broken wire, fixed for just about nothing.

You just know a Toyota Dealer would have replaced the module. That wouldn't have fixed the problem, then located the broken wire and charged for repair of both, but that's another topic.

Drives me crazy in the USA with no DRL and signs on highway suggesting using headlights during the daytime. Then the USA have mandatory tire pressure sensors ??????
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

How did this happen?

What I've noticed is the amount of drivers who don't turn on their headlights when it gets dark. DRL do not turn on taillights.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:What I've noticed is the amount of drivers who don't turn on their headlights when it gets dark. DRL do not turn on taillights.

That's certainly a problem. I'm not sure how these vehicles are wired, but in the least you'd think that with the DRL only on (or rather, the headlights not on so only the DRL are on) that the dash lights would not be on.

Wouldn't you think when a driver looks down to check his/her speed or amount of fuel they'd twig that the dash lights aren't on, thus the headlights aren't on ?

What worries me now, is all the automatic lights. I just get in my car and drive, if it's dark out the lights come on, if it's light out the DRL are on. The only time I'm involved is inclement weather when I manually turn my headlight on to illuminate my taillights.

BUT now what happens if I use someone else's vehicle or rent a vehicle, my old process of turning lights on and off has been unused for many years, will I remember to turn the headlights off ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I agree i sometimes have a double take moment with cars NOT running DRL's.
We're trained now to see them.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”