The voting youth

mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Re: The voting youth

Post by mechanic_virus »

CaptainAwesome wrote:So....who should I vote for?

Here's an idea if you are not familiar with those who are running, the different parties, or what their views are:

As you start to see the election campaign signs creeping up over town, memorize or jot down the names of the people/parties. Then turn to Google.

Many of the candidates/parties have websites through which they communicate their views on certain issues. Browse through them - if you find that you agree with a lot of the things they are saying, make note of it. They may be somebody you wish to vote for. If the things they are saying bother you or do not fit in with your views, make note of that also.

You may change your mind many times before the election, and that is perfectly alright. You do not have to tell anybody who you intend to vote for, so there's no need to worry about justifying why you voted for one person over another. It is your business, and yours alone.

Edited to add: if there is an issue that you feel is particularly important that a candidate does not address, feel free to contact them and ask. They should be more than willing to answer your questions for you, after all - you are a potential voter for them! Be sure to ask your question in a neutral way, so as not to give hints as to what you want their answer to be.

For instance, if you are concerned about the way the city is handling the issue of the bunnies, a good way to ask about it may be:
What are your views on the current situation involving the wild rabbits in Kelowna?
Rather than:
So how do you plan on getting rid of those darn rabbits?
or:
Are you for or against the inhumane way in which the rabbit situation is being dealt with?
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I seen the students at UBC today on the news.....wow.....

Are we going to let them order their own food when they are allowed out on their own? I think someone at the school needs to be doing their job a little better and educating these people. Less drinking, and more studying.

B
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

BoB76 wrote:I seen the students at UBC today on the news.....wow.....

Are we going to let them order their own food when they are allowed out on their own? I think someone at the school needs to be doing their job a little better and educating these people. Less drinking, and more studying.

B

OFF Topic
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

shrory wrote:

B

OFF Topic

This couldn't be more on topic if I tried. The only thing that was off topic was you "OFF TOPIC"
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

What has drinking and partying to do with how the youth vote, and how they spend their measly grants (loans), the discussion is on why the students do not vote or know whom to vote for
But as usual you come in on discussions with inane, inept , unconstructive comments, instead of putting students down you should be encouraging them and advising them, going by your picture I am sure you have years of knowledge to pass on
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

shrory wrote:What has drinking and partying to do with how the youth vote, and how they spend their measly grants (loans), the discussion is on why the students do not vote or know whom to vote for
But as usual you come in on discussions with inane, inept , unconstructive comments, instead of putting students down you should be encouraging them and advising them, going by your picture I am sure you have years of knowledge to pass on

If they made it into University they should be intelligent enough to vote on their own. An old man like me shouldn't have to help them to learn how to vote they should make a decision on their own. But too many of them are on a little holiday from their mom and dad.
caroteen

Post by caroteen »

quietlywatching84 wrote:One thing they really need to do is put a voting station in UBCO.

There will be voting stations on UBCO campus on October 14th in Similkameen residence from 4:00pm - 8:00pm.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

There will be voting stations on UBCO campus on October 14th in Similkameen residence from 4:00pm - 8:00pm

Why not in the SSC? Unless your living on campus that seems a bit out of the way. The majority of students live off campus so putting a booths in a central location would encourage them to vote in between classes, while the residences are somewhat off the beaten path.

When UBCO students vote for student government every year, they use a much more central location to encourage turnout (lobby of the SSC).
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
joeblow
Fledgling

Post by joeblow »

B

I agree with BoB I'm worried about the future :137:

Return to “Summerland and Other Election Categories”