Mark Johnson - Council Candidate

BoB76
Guru

Re: Mark Johnson (aka FunkyBunch) for Kelowna Councilor

Post by BoB76 »

I would like to see some city bylaws upheld. These are some of the ones that annoy me.

-cars blocking driveways.
-graffiti on buildings that don't get taken off or painted over.
-no municipal stickers on most commercial vehicles.
-noise violations (bylaw guys are at home sleeping when the noise happens just ask Strutts)
-dirty bus stops

Basically I feel that the bylaw officers don't do their jobs unless someone kicks up a storm. I wonder what we pay them to do?? Someone who takes them and other city workers and makes them accountable is bound to get my vote.

Oh and did I mention traffic lights and lack of advance greens??
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

That would be part of the review process I would like to implement. Ensure all departments are doing the jobs they are supposed to as cost effectively as possible.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

FunkyBunch wrote:That would be part of the review process I would like to implement. Ensure all departments are doing the jobs they are supposed to as cost effectively as possible.

That would make old BoB happy. Especially the parking in front of Cottonwoods. There needs to be some parking violation tickets. People park too close to the sidewalk and my power scooter has a heck of a time sometimes.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

BoB, you are more likely to be driving an ATV than a power scooter...and ATVs shouldn't be on the sidewalk in the first place.

Funky, while I support your ideas of making sure departments are accountable to their mandates, you need to consider whether or not they have the capacity to do so. The growth of our city, together with staff vacancies can make it difficult to attend to some things in a timely manner.
Graffiti removal means tracking the owner of the property and getting them to clean it up. Some property owners paint over graffiti, only to have it return within a day or so. This can be very expensive for the property owners. Many do not have unlimited resources or in some cases, the physical ability to take care of it. BTW, I loathe graffiti. I just think there has to be a better way to get rid of it than going after property owners. Some of which live out of town and are not easily able to deal with it. I would like to see a group of concerned citizens organize themselves and then with community support arm themselves with paint removers and cover-up paint and go about designated areas and remove graffiti within hours of its application. (I would be inclined to be part of this myself if I was not committed to a variety of other issues.) Community service hours?
Blocked drive ways and such are a temporary problem. By the time the bylaw officer gets there, the offending driver may be gone. Better to politely ask the driver to move if you need to leave. If you don't need to leave, than the blocked drive way is not worthy of your angst. If it is a chronic situation, then it may need by-law intervention. Same goes for excessive noise.
Ironically, most bylaw complaints are just people not being responsible citizens in their community. It would be better for us all to work to create a better sense of community. This starts in our homes, schools, businesses, churches and other organizations.
City Council, no matter who is on it, can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Piecemaker wrote:BoB, you are more likely to be driving an ATV than a power scooter...and ATVs shouldn't be on the sidewalk in the first place.

Funky, while I support your ideas of making sure departments are accountable to their mandates, you need to consider whether or not they have the capacity to do so. The growth of our city, together with staff vacancies can make it difficult to attend to some things in a timely manner.
Graffiti removal means tracking the owner of the property and getting them to clean it up. Some property owners paint over graffiti, only to have it return within a day or so. This can be very expensive for the property owners. Many do not have unlimited resources or in some cases, the physical ability to take care of it. BTW, I loathe graffiti. I just think there has to be a better way to get rid of it than going after property owners. Some of which live out of town and are not easily able to deal with it. I would like to see a group of concerned citizens organize themselves and then with community support arm themselves with paint removers and cover-up paint and go about designated areas and remove graffiti within hours of its application. (I would be inclined to be part of this myself if I was not committed to a variety of other issues.) Community service hours?
Blocked drive ways and such are a temporary problem. By the time the bylaw officer gets there, the offending driver may be gone. Better to politely ask the driver to move if you need to leave. If you don't need to leave, than the blocked drive way is not worthy of your angst. If it is a chronic situation, then it may need by-law intervention. Same goes for excessive noise.
Ironically, most bylaw complaints are just people not being responsible citizens in their community. It would be better for us all to work to create a better sense of community. This starts in our homes, schools, businesses, churches and other organizations.
City Council, no matter who is on it, can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

You have some good points there. The graffiti idea isn't one that I like however. If you are an out of town building owner than you should have someone in town to deal with situations like these. A citizens group taking graffiti off is almost as bad as the people who did the graffiti in the first place. Many of the chemicals on the market used in graffiti removal have specific applications. If you just give a bottle of it to somebody and tell them to go to work with it you are going to have big problems and possibly legal problems from the damage that can be done. Some cleaners designed for a hard surface will completely destroy paint and stucco on softer surfaces. Others will etch glass. Others will kill plants and eat at you skin. Some will make it impossible for a professional to take it off at a later date. And a building owner will not be happy when someone paints brown paint over their brick work either.

Just my input.
unfazed
Übergod

Post by unfazed »

Mark, to prepare yourself for council, please promise that you will do some reading on how well-run, efficient, safe communities are developed.

Even if you have time to read only one book, I highly recommend The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs. She was an amazingly intuitive thinker; David Miller, mayor of Toronto, is a big follower of hers. She has written many books on the intricacies of urban economies and was a real visionary of her time and into today. The Smart growth movement is based on her philosophies, but she is far more articulate and explains WHY some neighbourhoods prosper and others die.

You will be leagues ahead of the other candidates just by reading this one book.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

Jane Jacobs rules!!!!!
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Thanks again for your input guys. I will pick up a copy of that book tomorrow after work.

Piecemaker, when I said I wanted to implement a review system into how the city runs etc, it wouldn't be just an accountability review.

It would be along the lines of:
How effective was the department with respect to its budget and staff and mandate?
Is there any way to make it more efficient?
Is this the best use of these resources?
Does it need a slight change in mandate? (area, definition etc)

Their would have to be a committee in charge of organizing the review process and hammering out the small details, and what questions are to be asked and expected of each department along with time-lines. I don't want this to be change for the sake of change. It has to make sense.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

FunkyBunch wrote:Thanks again for your input guys. I will pick up a copy of that book tomorrow after work.

Piecemaker, when I said I wanted to implement a review system into how the city runs etc, it wouldn't be just an accountability review.

It would be along the lines of:
How effective was the department with respect to its budget and staff and mandate?
Is there any way to make it more efficient?
Is this the best use of these resources?
Does it need a slight change in mandate? (area, definition etc)

Their would have to be a committee in charge of organizing the review process and hammering out the small details, and what questions are to be asked and expected of each department along with time-lines. I don't want this to be change for the sake of change. It has to make sense.

So for your term you plan on doing studies? Are they going to be studies like the current council does? $100,000 to see if the bunnies are a problem? $50,000 to see if we need more advanced turning lights? $150,000 to see if we have a homeless problem? $50,000 to see if City workers are dfing while on job sites? Hey maybe spend some money to see if our new bridge is good enough!!

Don't get caught up in reviews/studies they cost too much and just make taxpayers *bleep* off.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I agree, we don't need a councilor that studies or reviews everything to death! We have had enough of those. Spend the money on doing something useful.
DILLIGAF
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

The money is only half of what annoys me.....the complete waste of time and resources is the other.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Could you see to it that glass is once again picked up by our recycling services? My mom wondered how many people (such as the elderly sans vehicles) are going to bother to take all their glass jars and bottles to a recycling depot since this service has been discontinued. We realize that it's a safety issue, but if glass is the one item that is being sorted beforehand by people, then that should minimize the danger to people sorting the materials. :)
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

iphtheme wrote:Could you see to it that glass is once again picked up by our recycling services? My mom wondered how many people (such as the elderly sans vehicles) are going to bother to take all their glass jars and bottles to a recycling depot since this service has been discontinued. We realize that it's a safety issue, but if glass is the one item that is being sorted beforehand by people, then that should minimize the danger to people sorting the materials. :)

Maybe a study/review should be done :nukeem:
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

I prefer action! Recycling ought to be done fully. I know that Edmonton still picks up glass!
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
unfazed
Übergod

Post by unfazed »

iphtheme wrote:Could you see to it that glass is once again picked up by our recycling services? My mom wondered how many people (such as the elderly sans vehicles) are going to bother to take all their glass jars and bottles to a recycling depot since this service has been discontinued. We realize that it's a safety issue, but if glass is the one item that is being sorted beforehand by people, then that should minimize the danger to people sorting the materials. :)

I figure there are enough vagrant binners who will gladly take your recycling. They need the money more than most.

Return to “Kelowna”