Kelowna Council - General Discussion

CarMa
Übergod

Re: Kelowna Council - General Discussion

Post by CarMa »

mechanic_virus wrote:I just discovered that Janice Henry was the VP of the Kelowna chapter of REAL Women of BC, a group with the following purposes:
* to foster and promote the family as the basic unit of society; to defend principals which uphold the Judeo-Christian view of traditional marriage and family and to undertake or facilitate research into areas which impinge on the well-being of the family;
* to support the right to life of all innocent individuals from conception to natural death.
Makes me wonder when she ways "will work hard to put faith back in City Hall" whether she means faith as in trust or faith in a religious context.

Thanks for the info, mv.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Yes thanks, Janice will not be making the cut for my vote.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have been looking through the websites offered and emailing the candidates. My yardstick is threefold:
1) do they have "time" to address my concerns?
2) what is their stance on the Simpson Covenant Issue
3) if they do respond, is it a one liner or a paragraph.

So far I have received a few replies, and of those I was rather impressed by both Jason Rock and Scott Yule. There was no canned statements, but honest discourse.

Now that castanet has links up, ask questions. I want honest, earnest, young blood leading our city. Time to get rid of the dinosaurs.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Wow, good job MommyRogers
I never thought of emailing the candidates directly with my questions.
What a good idea.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
joe smo
Fledgling

Post by joe smo »

Re Janice Henry. Having worked with Janice and found her to be a person of great integrity, honesty and took a very balanced and thoughtful approach to her decision making. I didn't know at the time she was involved in REAL. Didn't appear to make any difference. It certainly never appeared to influence any of her decisions on what was best for the organization. I think she would carry those ideals to her position as a councillor. I would vote for her, if I was a Kelowna resident. I wouldnt use religious beliefs as a measure to include or exclude anyone from a council position. On balance - do you belive that she would work for and act in the best interests of the citizens of Kelowna. YES.
as each day passes, the things I don't know increases exponentially
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

I have personally known John Marshall for a long time now. He’s one of these ‘salt of the earth’ type characters who can get a little long-winded, but exudes honesty from every pore. Real blue-collar ‘aw, shucks’ kind of guy.

Perhaps that’s why he’s one of my best friends. I don’t take nonsense very well, and I have yet to see it from him.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

HELP who do I vote for?

I have just sat down with a list of candidates taken from the Courier and clicked through the candidates on the Castanet page. Read their Bio’s if posted
I am having trouble choosing who to vote for, But I do know who I am NOT voting for, any incumbents!
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

At the bottom of page 1 of this thread is a list of upcoming all candidates forums. I strongly recommend you attend any you can. What I don't recommend is basing your vote on the opinions of complete strangers. Values vary greatly among people, and you want to make sure you're voting for somebody you feel will accurately represent issues of importance to YOU.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

And there's no rush - you still have time to make up your mind. There's a long list of candidates, some whose names may be familiar to you and some who may not be. Take the time to look into each of them. If you're not seeing their name plastered all over Kelowna, it doesn't mean they are any less capable of putting hard work and dedication into the role. For instance, one man who is running for council thinks that the signs are wasteful and damaging to the environment. He is opting to sell campaign t-shirts to get his name out while recouping some of the cost. Very innovative / environmentally friendly, if you ask me.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
nellietheelephant
Fledgling

Post by nellietheelephant »

Churchhawk wrote:With the large number of people running for a council position in Kelowna it is going to be really difficult to know who to vote for. Any suggestions?

Yes - but I have a problem - I Can only find seven worth the effort -

Birker
Blanleil
Gates
Hobson
Hodge
Rathwell
Reid

Can anyone justify a number eight or should we tell them to send some more? :)

Nellie
RJ7

Post by RJ7 »

Different than my list so far:

Rule
Hobson
Stack
Birker
Graham
Hodge

And you don't have to vote for 8- you can vote for 'up to' 8
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

I am happy to see Hodge on both your lists.

I have known Charlie for 30 years and he is a good man. Intelligent, and has a down to earth, average joe view of how he thinks things should be.

And he is a Kelowna lifer.
muckyduck

Post by muckyduck »

I would love to mention names of certain candidates that are so selfish and deceptive. Beware the silver tongued .
muckyduck

Post by muckyduck »

Reid Nicholl Forsstrom Hodge Craig all seem promising.
Chmmr
Board Meister

Post by Chmmr »

RJ7 wrote:Different than my list so far:

Rule
Hobson
Stack
Birker
Graham
Hodge

And you don't have to vote for 8- you can vote for 'up to' 8