Kevin Craig - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Kevin Craig - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

This thread is for Kevin Craig, council candidate.
Kevin Craig

Post by Kevin Craig »

For more information, you can visit my website at http://www.kevincraig.ca. Feel free to ask me any questions in this thread or by emailing me at [email protected].
Thanks!
Kevin Craig
Jo
Slot 16

Re: Kevin Craig - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

HI Kevin! Thanks for joining us!
VPofFNE

Post by VPofFNE »

Although he's likely the youngest person running for council, I'd say that he's the brightest. This young man has a bright future ahead of him and will work extremely hard in this position. If you want 'new and fresh' thinking, give him your vote.
ldsherwood

Post by ldsherwood »

I agree that Kevin is one of , if not the youngest running ..However it is his generation that will have to deal with and clean up the mess we have now...Kevin has ALL the votes in our house.
Nice to have a young persons perspective on the issues that Haunt our city
Fresh Ideas
Kevin Craig

Post by Kevin Craig »

Thanks for the words of support and encouragement. I've been tremendously excited by the willingness of so many voters to listen to new ideas and to share their own visions of what Kelowna could and should be.

I understand that Kelowna residents will be faced with a tough choice evaluating the 36 people vying for Council seats, so I thought I'd share a little bit about who I am and what I want to achieve over the next 3 years as a City Councillor.

I believe that actions speak a lot louder than words, so here is my track record in the community:
- Secretary, Ozanam House Board of Directors
- Director, Okanagan Mission Residents Association
- Director, Okanagan Valley Public Market Society
- Vice President, Rotaract Club of Kelowna
- Member, Kelowna Jaycees
- Employee, Okanagan Boys and Girls Club
- Attended all but 4 of Council's weekly meetings in the last year and a half
- Only non-incumbent candidate present at last December's preliminary budget hearings

I may be the youngest candidate, but I am also the candidate who has put in the most preparation over the last year and a half to ensure I am ready to get to work right away on the new Council. With the procedural knowledge I have picked up from attending every week, I will be better prepared to handle the 'growing pains' of a newly-elected Councillor.
Kevin Craig

Post by Kevin Craig »

Obviously, the credentials of the candidate are only half the picture. Here is the condensed version of my platform, which is titled 'Moving Forward Together.'

'Moving Forward Together' comes from the fact that Kelowna is at a critical point in its history. With 50,000 residents between the ages of 40 and 60, we will see many people leaving the work force in the next 10-20 years. In order to address the needs of these new retirees and make it possible for young people to stay in the Valley and fill those vacated jobs, we need strong leaders on Council who can engage all segments of the population. I believe in crafting a collective vision of Kelowna as we move forwards with 4 principles in mind:

1.) A More Prosperous Kelowna
- Attract and retain the top young professionals in Canada by increasing the number of high-level, well-paid jobs in Kelowna
- Support local businesses and encourage diversification within local economy

2.) A More Sustainable Kelowna
- Increase quantity and frequency of bus service, especially to key residential areas in the evening
- Improve non-motorized travel conditions - ensure Kelowna is safe for cyclists and pedestrians
- Ensure air and water quality are priorities in all development decisions

3.) An End to Homelessness
- A 10 Year Plan to End Homelessness will soon be completed by PHAT-CO
- Will make the implementation of that plan a priority; we must follow up and take action
- Work with developers to provide more affordable rental units, rather than affordable units for purchase
- Build strong partnerships with provincial and federal governments to ensure co-operative efforts on homelessness initiatives

4.) Better Representation
- Use online resources such as Facebook, Castanet and the City of Kelowna website to improve communication between local government and residents
- Host quarterly open houses / town halls to identify priorities within community
- Provide a formal structure for relations between Residents Associations and City Council

These are the four areas where I would like to make a difference as a City Councillor. As you can tell from the final priority, however, I am a big believer in seeking input from the community. I would like to hear from you both before and after November 15th - what do you think the priorities should be? Reply here or email me: [email protected].
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Kevin Craig wrote:I believe that actions speak a lot louder than words, so here is my track record in the community:

Don't forget you're also involved with the Central Okanagan Stimulant Abuse Task Force.
Yeesh, keep up with these things, will ya?! :ohmygod:
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Kevin Craig

Post by Kevin Craig »

mechanic_virus wrote:
Kevin Craig wrote:I believe that actions speak a lot louder than words, so here is my track record in the community:

Don't forget you're also involved with the Central Okanagan Stimulant Abuse Task Force.
Yeesh, keep up with these things, will ya?! :ohmygod:

Haha, this is true. I didn't feel right putting it on there after only attending one meeting though, since it would be somewhat unfair to those who have been part of the group for a more significant period of time. I like to feel like I've actually contributed something to a group before I start including it in my bio.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Glad to hear it - unlike another unnamed candidate who happened to mention his involvement without having a single meeting under his belt.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
lalalie

Post by lalalie »

I have worked with Kevin in various capacities over the past five years. Whether it was with the United Way, the School District, or UBCO, I always find him putting his best into this community. He is passionate about making a difference and ready to do so. Kevin is an outstanding citizen and incredibly worthy of your vote.
Delaney
Digree

Post by Digree »

I'm voting Craig :nyah:
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

I think he should run for mayor.I've personally had enough of the old farts on council
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
leroibrown

Post by leroibrown »

You've got my vote too Kevin. I like the fact that you are so diligent in researching the position you are running for. You really seem to care and are not just a phony like so many others seem to be. Attending council meetings is definitive proof of that.

You seem to be in touch with the needs of this city and are very active in areas that really matter. Your honesty is greatly appreciated. Age really doesn't matter at all. The fact that you show how much you care is the most important element of all. You should have run for mayor. Maybe in 2011 eh!

It would be nice to see people like you in council chambers. Common sense goes a long way and is something that our current administration is lacking. The Simpson Covenant removal attempt has proven that they have no respect for promises , which is exactly what a covenant is, a promise. I was appalled by this attempt to remove this promise made to one of the pioneers of this municipality. Someone who helped build this city to what it is today.

I was so glad to see that the courts could see how wrong it was. Then the city still tried to appeal it. Now they have decided to drop it. Political posturing I’m sure. I will not fall for it and WILL NOT be voting for any incumbents because of their ignorance on this matter and other fiascos.

You have made my list of eight councillors. Good luck Kevin. Remember age is just a number. Intelligence ,devotion and integrity are the best judges of character. You have all three of those my friend. Kevin Craig for Mayor in 2011!!! :hailjo: :discodance: :runforlife:
VPofFNE

Post by VPofFNE »

Keep up the efforts Kevin, it will pay off for you. I must say, it sounds like you are putting more effort in, and taking this more seriously, than many of the other candidates.

Return to “Kelowna”