Westside Mayoral - General Discussion

fairweather
Board Meister

Re: Westside Mayor and Council Candidates

Post by fairweather »

I can't see voting for any of the incumbents. Too bad we don't have many choices.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6y3tew
(this link will open a preview of the Regional District "Look in to the Past" A Historical Review
1967 – 2006 by A.T. Harrison
, or if you want to download the document directly, go to http://tinyurl.com/6y3tew

Interesting reading, especially about the pool. Seems Westbank people are a pretty vocal lot "adamant" was the word used though I would be a bit more bold and suggest the word "bully" but that is just my opinion . .... and it seems that Knowles is a Westbank supporter, not a Westside supporter. Another who wont get my vote - not if I want a council member who will represent the whole westside.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

What will the Westbank crowd say now that they know the 'subdivision' of Lakeview Heights and West Shore Estates apparently was independent and significant enough to warrant its own representation on the Regional District since 1966... Just like Westbank had its own representation.

Hmmm... guess the Regional District had it wrong for 41 years too. Guess they didn't read the history books either.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
Sodapop

Re: Westside Mayoral - General Discussion

Post by Sodapop »

According to the Capital News today, the all candidates forum is on Tues, Oct 28th, not the 25th. It's at the Westbank Lions Hall at 7pm. Sorry for the mistake.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

oldal wrote:
truthseeker wrote:
canadman wrote:the_zipper, just to follow up. I have had an opportunity to meet Mary Mandarino and Joe Strocen and was immediately impressed with both of them and especially the fact that, unlike what I had expected, they were very clear with me that they are not all about the north end and are running because they want to represent the whole Westside. It seems one of the big issues they have is the lack of transparency and openness on Council and they want to bring more of that to the process. That was music to my ears. Anyway, I liked them both. They have no ego about all this and were very balanced in their views which really appealed to me.

After reading many of these posts I have finally felt compelled to "join-up"!
I am somewhat surprised that Mary Mandarino is seen by some as clear headed, balanced and fair, and with no ego. Has everyone forgotten the farce when she was President of the Central Okanagan Parent Advisory Council (COPAC) and the member PACs had a vote of non-confidence in her and she refused to step down? The parents had to seek legal advice and it almost destroyed COPAC. When anyone crosses Ms Mandarino she threatens a lawsuit. She also ran as school trustee in Kelowna some years ago, even though she lived on the Westside. She did not get elected.

Mary Mandarino must have mellowed considerably if people think she lacks a big ego and is a pillar of reason they should have been around about 10 years ago when she was running roughshod over anyone and everyone who disagreed with her. She's failed to be elected twice. Hopefully people will be careful enough to see her for what she is and make sure she stays out of office. I try to see the good side of people, but here is one person who is very difficult to like.

Mary Mandarion will always be Mary Mandarino...
One of the main characters in Little Red Riding Hood...
Of the 11 candidates for council I would rate her 23rd...

I don't think Joe Strocen would want to be mentioned in the same thread as Mary...

canadman... you need a break for a couple of days,
get refreshed... :)
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Don't worry Bestside...today's yardwork day for me.:)
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
solarpowered

Post by solarpowered »

:ohmygod: Firstly, I don't normally join forums because when I read them I find that they inevitably become stagnated by everyone wanting to convince everyone else to their own way of thinking. Let's just assume that it's a given that that won't happen no matter how many times you make the same point. If you didn't win someone over on the first go round, chances are you won't make a dent 3rd, 4th or 5th time around.

I just wanted to say that I feel people are really losing sight of the bigger picture. If we want to unite this community then stop looking at what makes you feel so separate and start looking for what we have in common. Let's focus on our mutual strengths and weaknesses and use those as the basis for our progress for the future. I don't care who's from Casa Loma, Shannon Lake, Westbank or wherever. I will vote for those who are willing to work for what I see as priorities that will hopefully benefit the whole westside.

The election process may not always give us all the people we want but a good elected official is anyone who can work with others of differing opinions, find common ground and work for the betterment of all. Let people make up their own minds instead of writing all these 2nd and 3rd hand accounts of what you think or heard may or may not have happened. Even if you witnessed any of these events that you are all so wound up about I would like to just remind you that your perception of that may be quite different from someone else who also witnessed the same thing.

I appreciate that you all have very strong feelings about all of this but you are a microcosm of our community! If you keep holding onto all the negative things how can you ever let go and move on to a better future where we are not defined only by the neighbourhood in which we live. You want a council that will unite this community? Then we need to show that we have a desire to do just that - our elected representatives are an extension of ourselves and if we only ask them to guarantee that this one will only focus on what's good for Lakeview Heights, and another with only what's good for Westbank then it's our own fault because we have created the environment for them to be like that. If we, as a community, want to step beyond that then so will they be able to do that because we will have asked them to do it by virtue of our own attitudes.

Let's see, we all want a nice play to live, low taxes, but improved services, roads etc. which of course will require some increase in taxes no matter what. Do we want our businesses to be successful? Of course, but who will stop here if it is not an attractive place instead of just another strip mall? We still have a nice rural / semi-rural feel but it's not easy to walk around the area without being run off the road by cars. There are many areas in the westside that may be pretty but stink of failing septic fields so the experience of the beauty of the area is more than a little compromised. These are all things that the whole westside have in common so just vote for whoever you think is committed to making things better for everyone not just your own little corner. In the end if you don't like what is happening at city hall, get involved to make a change. This whole thread has a seriously negative spin and I think that is sad but I dearly hope we can all step back and let go of the past and work towards a better future. A little "positivity" could go a long way here!
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

You're right of course about this forum being a microcosm of our society. And you are right when you say that someone's perceptions of actions will be different from another. And I suspect you are correct when you say that our elected officials are extensions of ourselves....

perhaps this is why I am very upset with Findlater and Milsom and a few others - I voted for them last year, and by their actions they have indicated they are nothing like what is an extension of me. I do not uphold their qualities, and will not vote for them this year. I feel like I was duped, and I dont like that much.

The bigger picture, in my opinion, is beyond the issues that confront us, as a municipality: we'll always have issues to solve... the question is, how will they be solved. The bigger picture involves ethics, integrity and honesty. The current council minus one have none of this.

I will vote for the people who will represent all of us, but I will make my vote count towards people who have these qualities, and Findlater is not on that list. I dont care how many years you have in office - if after 30 years you still dont have ethics integrity and honesty, then you arent going to have them now. I highly suspect after 30 years in government, these have worn off. It's time for someone new.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

And, of course, hereiamagain, Peter Haslock has the qualities you are looking for.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

I have no idea if he does or not, inquisitive. But I wont be supporting a man that I do not believe in. I didnt think Rosalind Neis was going to be very good last year either, and look what happened.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

Rosalind Neis impressed me, too, but, is she a team-player? If the council were to be returned to office and she won the sixth seat, what would have to take place in order to form a cohesive unit? Somethings gotta give!
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Yes, what's got to give is that there needs to be a shake-up on council....she will not be the 6th seat....she will be near the top....and some others may find themselves without a job....hopefully anyway.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

I think that if Rosalind Neis was in an environment where all were working together towards a goal, I think that yes, she would be a team player.
I think that from the very beginning, she and Heather P were on the outside looking in, and that has not boded well for our council. THAT needs to stop. WE need to ensure the people we vote in truly do have our interests at heart.
solarpowered

Post by solarpowered »

I totally respect your thoughts and feelings, hereiamagain, and agree with you on what you are looking for in a leader. However, I consider who I wish to vote for as my private business and don't wish to sway anyone to vote for any particular person except for who they believe in. This is why we obviously have such low voter turnout, because people find it hard to believe in anyone these days. The kind of debate that has been going on here only serves to make finding anyone to believe in even harder. What I was looking for when I came to this forum was some informed debate about the candidates to help me inform my decisions for election day. I very much want elected officials who will be open, honest, hard working and have a very high standard of integrity. Given that we are all human and we can all make mistakes I guess the big question is what are we willing to tolerate from those elected with respect to being human and making the inevitable mistakes? I want to also be able to make my decision based on the overall focus of each individual - do their priorities for what we need match my priorities for what will ultimately move our community forward. I was disappointed that all the discussion narrowed down to one act and while it can sometimes be an indicator of character or future performance, it can't be the whole picture. I would hope that the discussions would center around candidate platforms - experience is great to have but sometimes that must give way to other issues. Last years election was upsetting for everyone and we still seem to be re-hashing that. So many comments here have been about being pro-Westbank or anti-westside and vice-versa. People I thought would be an absolute disaster ended up doing really well. In the end though, I felt that everyone did their best even if I didn't agree with them on all the issues or the way things may have been handled. Having a mix of people is always best in my mind so that they can make a decision or at least come to a compromise in the best interest of the entire community. The best we can all do is to inform ourselves as much as possible and vote with our conscience. This is what the democratic process is all about and however the chips may fall, we need to make the best of it or find a constructive way to change it.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

solarpowered wrote: I don't care who's from Casa Loma, Shannon Lake, Westbank or wherever. I will vote for those who are willing to work for what I see as priorities that will hopefully benefit the whole westside.

That's what the majority of folks do...
There is a group that feel Westbank is the keeper of the Westside municipality...
and there are council members who go along with that sentiment...

It should be no surprise that those council members will be struck off some voters lists...

solarpowered wrote:However, I consider who I wish to vote for as my private business and don't wish to sway anyone to vote for any particular person except for who they believe in.

Candidates have profiles on Castanet to assist you...
While you may not want to sway anyone else I assume you came on here to be swayed yourself..
or to validate your selections...

I don't think there is anyone on here who is basing their selections, in respect to incumbents, on one particular issue. Some candidates have years of baggage...
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum

Return to “Westside”