Westside Mayoral - General Discussion

Sodapop

Re: Westside Mayor and Council Candidates

Post by Sodapop »

Thanks for the enlightenment canadman....

Let me get this straight. You don't like the current councillors except those that don't come from Westbank. You have nothing good to say about the ones you disagree with and you know jack about the others. This "Peter the Great" as you seem to have labelled him must be a straightshooter yet you have no idea who he is...except he's not Findlater. Again thanks for sharing some great insight for the voting public. There's a job waiting for you on the Fox network. I hear they're looking for someone with little or no objectivity. Wow... you've swayed me !
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I expect this vote is not going to be different from the amalgamation/incorporation. People are not going to vote for someone that deserves to be in but by voting for candidates they don't know because of the illusion others are not worthy. I hope to read more about the possibility of candidates' positive contributions they would offer before the forum as I'm sure there are readers who have had the opportunity to work closely with them. The Westside Council website offers statements but not from all candidates.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

Sodapop wrote:Parachute. You seem to ask questions without answering questions.

I guess that there are some questions that are facetious and others that are seeking answers so that questioner can use the answer to “slam” (note my use of quotes again) the responder.
Sodapop wrote:What I find odd is why all 7 can’t work together. Is it because 2 councilors set it up at the beginning with their mandate ?

I don't think so because I don't believe the TWO had a mandate. They might have wished for a mandate but they didn't get one. Not even a suggestion of amalgamation has ever surfaced in Council this year.
Sodapop wrote:Is it because some who are viewed as standing their ground and being stoic aren’t open minded to consider other ideas? Or is it because there really is a conspiracy to hijack the community and rename it Findlaterland ?

I can't answer that because I do not understand your question. Are you suggesting that Findlater's Five are being STOIC and closed minded? Quite possibly -- I don't know.
Sodapop wrote:What has Neis done for this community?

Some people say that she has provided good leadership, has been honest, has listened and supported the desires of residents over the wishes of big-time developers --- but you should really pose that facetious question to yourself. That question should be asked of all other Councillors. I guess the electorate will give you and me their answer on November 15.
Sodapop wrote:I hear a lot of 5 – 2 votes. What’s up with that ?

Have you ever heard the unique(?) response to that question stating that the 5 have their own MANDATE and are working very hard to ensure that they get re-elected? I assume you have seen the many (and large) electoral advertising signs already providing such beauty to our city streets. Oh, sorry, I forgot .... the election date is ONLY 30 PLUS days away!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I will be voting for Rosalind Neis as I think she has done an admirable job. Despite her lack of knowledge, she stepped up to the challenge of overcoming of what I'm sure was a very steep learning curve and sticking to her convictions. I have yet to hear anything negative of consequence pertaining to her role as mayor.
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

canadman wrote:Mayor Candidates

Doug Findlater - Don't trust his methods and believe he is guided by the 'Westbankers'
Truth Machine wrote:You can trust this man because he won't listen to me!

Peter Haslock - Don't know anything about him but he seems like a straight shooter, though I think he'll also be for whatever works for the south end from what I've read. He also says he wouldn't give up his job if he became Mayor. I don't think there's any way you can be Mayor and still focus on another job

Truth Machine wrote:I don't know anything about this person but perhaps he can be bought even if he comes from the South?

Council Candidates

Jim Dixon - Don't know much about him other than I found his abrasive ways towards those who disagreed with him on this forum last year completely innapropriate for someone who should represent all of us. He won't have my vote.
Truth Machine wrote:Anyone who disagrees with me is abrasive and can not be trusted!

Marc Greenberg - Don't know anything about him though from what I've read he seems ok.

Truth Machine wrote:Is Greenberg from "The Westbank"?

David Knowles - Basically a carbon copy of Councillor Findlater. I wouldn't vote for him for all the same reasons. I think his vision of the Westside starts at Gorman's and ends at Canadian Tire.

Truth Machine wrote:He doesn't agree with me either!

Mary Mandarino - I like Mary. I think she would be more pro the north end but in light of the fact that we are going to have strong south end representation on Council by the looks of it I think we need her perspective to balance things to the benefit of the whole Westside.
Truth Machine wrote:I really like the fact that she will agree with me I hope........!

Gord Milsom - I liked Gord but after my experience on TNC he won't get my vote. It was Gord Milsom who originally floated the idea of eliminating current community names from the naming process, yet when the committee chose to do just that he came out and criticized us for it. Too flip-floppy for me.
Truth Machine wrote:I don't like him becase he could see through me with his glasses off!

Rosalind Neis - Absolutely love her style! Straight shooter, tells it like it is and doesn't stand for any crap. We need that in politics. She'll be the first name I check off at the polls.
Truth Machine wrote:Vote for her, she might do as she is told this time!

Duane Ophus - Don't know much about Duane Ophus but I sense he's the same as Councillor Knowles and Findlater. Like them I don't trust his methods either. Though, to his credit, I think he is more pragmatic than the others.
Truth Machine wrote:Can't say too much about him except he didn't go along with my profound view of things and people!

Joseph Strocen - Don't know much about him but he will likely get my vote for the same reasons as stated above for Mary Mandarino. I've heard good things about him, I will say that.
Truth Machine wrote:Joe who? Well he might feel some affinity to Pit Bulls!

Elva Webber - Is all about Westbank, to heck with everyone else, and that's obvious just from her posts on here and her performance during the naming issue of the past three months.
Truth Machine wrote:Not my type of person because she can see through my B.S.and has an opinion!

Bryden Winsby - I like Bryden Winsby. He is very bright and though I suspect a strong Westbank advocate (I don't know that, I'm just guessing so I might be wrong) he strikes me as being the most likely to have integrity. He's been a journalist for a long time and those guys tend to have a real disdain for underhanded politics so I think he would probably be very fair and straight forward.

Truth Machine wrote:Don't trust this man, he doesn't live in West Kelowna and is not one of the chosen people!

Carol Zanon - See David Knowles, Councillor Findlater, etc...
Truth Machine wrote:So many names to keep up with and so little crap to spread!

School District Candidates Jeff Watson - Don't know anything about him

Truth Machine wrote:I will try to spread my profound knowledge to the uninitiated but by now they have a good understanding of what I do know! Nothing................. :smt023
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

Fancy wrote:I will be voting for Rosalind Neis as I think she has done an admirable job. Despite her lack of knowledge, she stepped up to the challenge of overcoming of what I'm sure was a very steep learning curve and sticking to her convictions. I have yet to hear anything negative of consequence pertaining to her role as mayor.

Except that she comes from Kelowna? :smt023
cpt64
Board Meister

Post by cpt64 »

I will not vote for any of the Fab Five. Their performance on the TNC issue has proven to me that they lack the integrity required to represent the entire Westside. After the dust settles, if some of them don't get re-elected, maybe they'll realize then, the mistake they've made. Neis gets my vote absolutely and so does Mandarino. I think Mandarino has moved past the amalgamation issue and legitimately wants to represent and improve the entire Westside.

And as far as the rest, the jury's out. If I don't like what I see and hear in the coming weeks, there may be some blanks on my ballot.
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

*removed*/ferri
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

*removed*/ferri sodapop I will answer your comment.

I have experienced Council first hand and I'm sorry but I do not like the way they (the members I referred to - Findlater, Knowles, Ophus, Zanon, Milson) do things. I, and I can only speak for myself, find I cannot trust them or their methods. Obviously you feel differently. That's your right as it's mine to feel the way I feel.

In answer to your point about them being from Westbank as my reason for not wanting to vote for them, in fact two of the members I named that I wouldn't vote for do not live in the area I refer to as Westbank, and as it happens one lives in West Kelowna I believe. I'll also point out that one person I did mention that I liked, Bryden Winsby is a Glenrosa resident (therefore Westbank) and I will be voting for him.

What I didn't like, and it's only an observation from my own experience, was what that those particular Councillors seemed to do what they did in a very non-transparent way to appease the south end voters and not because it was necessarily the best thing to do. I realize you and others disagree but that's my opinion.

As for candidates I do not know about I intend to find out more. Having said all that, I do believe that the Council as it sits now, and the incumbents should some or all get back in will always, again from my experience, put the needs of the south end first and for that reason, as a north end resident, I want to see balance on Council so that we can all be represented and not just those who are pro-Westbank, anti-West Kelowna. You might not like that type of thinking but that's how I feel.

And BTW, before suggesting that being pro-Westbank does not mean being anti-West Kelowna, revisit the posts ovder the past three months and it would be hard not to see that the hard core pro-Westbank group are also anti-West Kelowna.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

cpt64 wrote:I will not vote for any of the Fab Five. Their performance on the TNC issue has proven to me that they lack the integrity required to represent the entire Westside. After the dust settles, if some of them don't get re-elected, maybe they'll realize then, the mistake they've made. Neis gets my vote absolutely and so does Mandarino. I think Mandarino has moved past the amalgamation issue and legitimately wants to represent and improve the entire Westside.

And as far as the rest, the jury's out. If I don't like what I see and hear in the coming weeks, there may be some blanks on my ballot.

You shock me cpt64. And I thought you wanted to feel some connection with the Westside? What better way than to vote for the person who swore to break us up by circulating her petition to join Kelowna. Forgive me if I doubt your sincerity but I think we have heard all this @#$% before and know what it means! Vote for who you like because that is your right but please understand you might get what you deserve! :smt023
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

canadman wrote:I'll ignore angusog altogether as he no longer warrants responses, but sodapop I will answer your comment.

I have experienced Council first hand and I'm sorry but I do not like the way they (the members I referred to - Findlater, Knowles, Ophus, Zanon, Milson) do things. I, and I can only speak for myself, find I cannot trust them or their methods. Obviously you feel differently. That's your right as it's mine to feel the way I feel.

In answer to your point about them being from Westbank as my reason for not wanting to vote for them, in fact two of the members I named that I wouldn't vote for do not live in the area I refer to as Westbank, and as it happens one lives in West Kelowna I believe. I'll also point out that one person I did mention that I liked, Bryden Winsby is a Glenrosa resident (therefore Westbank) and I will be voting for him.

What I didn't like, and it's only an observation from my own experience, was what that those particular Councillors seemed to do what they did in a very non-transparent way to appease the south end voters and not because it was necessarily the best thing to do. I realize you and others disagree but that's my opinion.

As for candidates I do not know about I intend to find out more. Having said all that, I do believe that the Council as it sits now, and the incumbents should some or all get back in will always, again from my experience, put the needs of the south end first and for that reason, as a north end resident, I want to see balance on Council so that we can all be represented and not just those who are pro-Westbank, anti-West Kelowna. You might not like that type of thinking but that's how I feel.

And BTW, before suggesting that being pro-Westbank does not mean being anti-West Kelowna, revisit the posts ovder the past three months and it would be hard not to see that the hard core pro-Westbank group are also anti-West Kelowna.

Feel any way you want to canadman, I don't really care! Council gave you the response you deserved and I hope for all our sakes has discouraged you and your kind from trying to influence politics in this region ever again! Your divide and conquer mentality deserves the derision it encountered and that is a fact. :smt023
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

*removed*/ferri
Last edited by angusog on Oct 18th, 2008, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Good Lord! Do YOU ever stop?

Everytime others on the board try to have any kind of discussion (that does not revolve around you or your wants) you have to manipulate posts and belittle, insult, ridicule and generally just be profoundly rude to them. It's disgusting really that someone feels that they cannot contribute to other conversations in a productive manner. But then It usually comes from those who have a lack of socially intelligent thought and manner. :127:
angusog
Übergod

Post by angusog »

*removed*/ferri
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Fancy wrote:Mayor Candidates
Doug Findlater
Peter Haslock
Council Candidates
Jim Dixon
Marc Greenberg
David Knowles
Mary Mandarino
Gord Milsom
Rosalind Neis
Duane Ophus
Joseph Strocen
Elva Webber
Bryden Winsby
Carol Zanon
School District Candidates Jeff Watson

I'd like to hear what people have to say about the candidates and why they deserve to be voted in.
Urbane started this thread to talk about the candidates I thought. I'd like to read more about the actual candidates from other people's perspective and appreciate the feedback so far.

Return to “Westside”