Doug Findlater - Mayoral Candidate

cubafreak
Board Meister

Re: Doug Findlater - Mayoral Candidate

Post by cubafreak »

ghostgirl wrote:I meant to bring the program home and forgot. I am sure that someone has a copy of it. The lady was the MC of the evening and she read from a prepared script, the whole naming committee "joke". I must say the when the whole thing unfolded I was quite shocked and I do not remember it word for word.... From my memory, the names on the ballot: West Kelowna, close to two thirds of the room booed. Westbank, they all cheered. BUT, I do remember sitting there watching Doug Findlater's (and table) positive response to the whole thing. That what shocked me, they all seemed very pleased with themselves. Again, I was not the only person there.....How come no one else has not said anything? I was watching the political goings on. The whole "joke" does not matter, the fact that it was even done is what matters. Ethics, Body language, speak louder than words.
I have watched these " boys" at work for several years now. Nothing surprises me anymore.

The lady in question was not the MC but rather one of the award presenters and it was in very poor taste IMHO
HeatherLF

Post by HeatherLF »

All that I have to say is I love Mayor Neis. I wish she was staying. She is honest, straightforward and dedicated to this community ! She was right ! We should have joined Kelowna ! I am not a West Kelowna resident....but unlike most of the uninformed uneducated locals, I voted for my and my families best interests when I voted for her. I'll bet that inside she wants to yell " I told you so !" Possible 20,000.00 to hook up sewers ? and "We can't afford the new police station ? " and without her who is going to fight for a hospital on the Westside. This candidate and others are business men who are concerned with profiting for themselves !
Bestside
Guru

Findlater will never rise to the Standards of Mayor Neis

Post by Bestside »

HeatherLF wrote:All that I have to say is I love Mayor Neis. I wish she was staying. She is honest, straightforward and dedicated to this community ! She was right ! We should have joined Kelowna ! I am not a West Kelowna resident....but unlike most of the uninformed uneducated locals, I voted for my and my families best interests when I voted for her. I'll bet that inside she wants to yell " I told you so !" Possible 20,000.00 to hook up sewers ? and "We can't afford the new police station ? " and without her who is going to fight for a hospital on the Westside. This candidate and others are business men who are concerned with profiting for themselves !

Many people who voted for Incorporation and did not vote for Neis are very big fans of Mayor Neis. She did a great job as mayor for all the people of Westside... in spite of having to work with an antagonistic council led by Findlater.

I am not a West Kelowna resident....but unlike most of the uninformed uneducated locals, I voted for my and my families best interests when I voted for her (Neis). ... without her who is going to fight for a hospital on the Westside. This candidate and others are business men who are concerned with profiting for themselves !

I take from this that you think you are informed and educated...
You don't seem to know that Neis is running for council ... and as such would continue to fight for all the Westside.

Actually Findlater was a much bigger supporter of amalgamating with Kelowna than Neis was. Findlater was in the media, wrote letters, was praised by Mayor Shepherd in April of 2007 for his position before he even announced it. Findlater can't be trusted. Neis was not even heard of until after the vote to incorporate was completed. With Neis you know what you get... someone who is a good steward with our finances, but has no idea what it would cost to join Kelowna. And for your information it is Neis saying we cannot afford the police station with it's current grandiose plan.

As for the cost of Westside sewers... if we had joined with Kelowna that grant money would not have been going to 1,400 Westside home owners for sewers. It would be going to Kelowna proper...
The following is from the Kelowna Q+A website prior to the Governance vote in June 2007:
City of Kelowna [email protected] Questions & Answers
Check here to find the answers to frequently asked questions regarding the possible amalgamation of Kelowna and Westside communities including Lakeview Heights, West Kelowna Estates and Westbank.
3. What about standards such as curb and gutter? Wouldn’t the Westside be far behind?

In neighbourhoods where no curb and gutter is in place the City currently has a program for urbanization, but residents whose properties directly benefit must contribute financially. This program is expected to remain in place.

That includes residents whose properties directly benefiting having to pay for sidewalks, sewers, etc.

Although I take issue with your post, don't read this as supporting Findlater.. far from it...
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

Bestside, you keep showing me things about this castanet blog that I had no idea could be done --- e.g., you were able to change the title of your latest post to: FINDLATER WILL NEVER RISE TO THE STANDARDS OF MAYOR NEIS, when everyone else has: RE: DOUG FINDLATER – MAYORAL CANDIDATE …… It is interesting to me that you can do that.

But back to the subject at hand --- On November 16 we might be surprised to discover that Mr. Findlater is NOT the winning candidate. If that happens then for sure his rise to WESTBANK fame will have hit a small road bump!
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

parachute wrote:Bestside, you keep showing me things about this castanet blog that I had no idea could be done --- e.g., you were able to change the title of your latest post to: FINDLATER WILL NEVER RISE TO THE STANDARDS OF MAYOR NEIS, when everyone else has: RE: DOUG FINDLATER – MAYORAL CANDIDATE …… It is interesting to me that you can do that.

You can change the subject line as well. When you are composing your message, just change the subject line to whatever you like.
Bestside
Guru

Re: Findlater will never rise to the Standards of Mayor Neis

Post by Bestside »

Bestside wrote:Actually Findlater was a much bigger supporter of amalgamating with Kelowna than Neis was. Findlater was in the media, wrote letters, was praised by Mayor Shepherd in April of 2007 for his position before he even announced it. Findlater can't be trusted. Neis was not even heard of until after the vote to incorporate was completed. With Neis you know what you get... someone who is a good steward with our finances.... for your information it is Neis saying we cannot afford the police station with it's current grandiose plan.

Also parachute... if you quote the post with the revised subject title, the revised title comes along with it... :)

Here's hoping for that big road "bump" for Findlater...
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

You're comparing "peaches" and "nectarines". Mr. Findlater has a track record, Mr. Haslock does not. It is well known that I've been dismayed by a couple of Mr. Findlater's transactions while on council. But don't impute perfection to an unknown, untried challenger when you're comparing the two of them.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Findlater will never rise to the level of Mayor Neis

Post by hereiamagain »

To be fair, Rob, Mayor Neis had absolutely no experience whatsoever, and while I did not support her last year, I will this year in whatever she choose to do (which is councillor). She had no experience, and she has done a fine job. I am considering that "experience with government" matters equates to the old "80s" style of business.
Those who were in government in the past, and brought up in the last 30 years have learned all sorts of unfortunate ways of doing business, in my opinion, not always the most honest or straightforward.

Someone said once, last year, on this forum, that Mayor Neis is only one voice - and the rest of council will "keep her in line." Well, they sure did that, didnt they. My concern is that with the good ol' boys club, that if Findlater gets in, it is the rest of the good ol' boys club that gets in too.

But on a positive note, if F gets in, and none of his current cronies do, but Marc, Joe, Rosalind, and perhaps a few other clean ones, then that would be okay.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

We had 5 mayoral candidates last year; 4 were known or somewhat known quantities, 1 was an unknown. The dice were rolled and we got a winner, in terms of her commitments to taxpayer advocacy and transparency, etc., in Rosalind Neis.

Nevertheless, it was a roll of the dice, aided and abetted by vote splitting and plumping by the JoinKelowna advocates that got her in, so she got her chance.

Today, all I'm saying is this, Mr. Findlater is a semi-known quantity, Mr. Haslock is an unknown quantity. We don't know what comfort zone the latter has in terms of in-camera, secrecy, and so on. And all I'm really saying is this, keep that in mind as you make your decision on who you will vote for mayor.
Bestside
Guru

For the best choice - Vote Haslock!

Post by Bestside »

No... we are comparing apples and bad apples...

Of the five mayoral candidates last year; we had Bryden Winsby and Neis... 1 and 2...
with Burke, Ensign and Dinwoodie well known.. and all three not acceptable.

It does not matter how Neis got in, she saved us from Dinwoodie and Ensign... in the dice game those two were craps...

I never voted for Neis, however it is now obvious she ran for Mayor because she knew she had the ability to do so... I don't think Neis, with her winner qualities, in terms of her commitments to taxpayer advocacy and transparency, etc., thinks the dice was rolled in respect to her abilities. Although it was rolled by those who expected her to go all out for joining Kelowna ... and found out she had to much integrity to beat a dead horse...

There was no plumping by the JoinKelowna advocates that got her in, in respect to the Mayor's position. There was only one elected from those running for mayor so plumping was not possible. There was vote splitting... many of the Winsby people moved their vote to Dinwoodie to try and stop Neis. If they had stuck with Winsby, the obvious choice in respect to not having a bunch of negative baggage, Winsby may have made it. Now the same stupidity is being played out with the name game!

I also disagree with the suggestion Findlater is a semi-known quantity, Findlater is a very well known quantity. That's why he will not be receiving my vote. I have read the minutes of many of the WGC meetings... and how the consulting process was short changed etc. I have seen him in action this past year as a councilor... I don't wish him to be our mayor.

Mr. Haslock has as good a bio as Neis had... I don't see anything I don't really like when compared to Findlater. He has not been generous to Findlater's methods... so that is a good start... I will roll the dice with Haslock, rather than rolling craps with Findlater.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Fair enough, and in making my comments, I was looking at the "analytical framework" for a person to contemplate how to cast his or her mayoral vote. That is, I have not decided how I will cast my vote for mayor.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Jo wrote:
chrschar wrote:Castanet...on your Westside home page, you are showing Doug Findlater as an incumbent mayor, which is not accurate and unfair to his opponent. Please remove the (i) beside his name.

Findlater is presently an incumbent Westside councillor.

Castanet has granted all incumbent councillors running in mayoral races the (i) flag.

We have also granted Westside's present Mayor Neis an (i) as well even
though she is running for Council instead of Mayor.

That's misleading though, no matter how you look at it.
GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

You did well in last nights (Oct. 28th 08)
debate.
GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

You got my vote Doug, if you know where I live please put a sign on my lawn if you wish to.

Good luck.
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Flying low under the radar??

Return to “Westside”