Peter Haslock - Mayoral Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Peter Haslock - Mayoral Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Peter Haslock, mayoral candidate.
inquisitive
Fledgling

Re: Peter Haslock - Mayoral Candidate

Post by inquisitive »

Hurrah! for a fresh face and name! Let's hear it for this courageous man. Newcomer he may be, but he doesn't carry any of the baggage that some candidates do. His slate is clean, a good starting point.
He has excellent creds., none of them political, but of equal or more value when considering his proven ability to manage, to direct, to succeed in his every endeavour, to place before his constituents - up front and with no hidden agendas - plans, not promises, action, not fence-sitting, progress, not status quo.
To know him is to like him, and to listen to him, you will recognise by his conversation, that he is a genuinely driven candidate who needs a chance, with the majority of votes, to fulfill his mayoral responsibilities, execute his plans, and bring this municipality to the place of prominence it so rightly deserves. Councillor Findlater had a year to exhibit his leadership potential - but he exhibited the opposite - a readiness to scuttle well- planned volunteer work that involved not only a volunteer committee, but a whole school-based project involved in civic awareness and participation, all washed down the drain at the instigation of Councillor Findlater. Bear in mind that he did a double wammy, as a councillor and as a member of that same committee whose work he scuttled. Is that double-dealing?
Will he instigate more of the same if he becomes mayor? He has placed himself in a very tough position, by placing his political life on the line, not only in the polls, but in his questionable tactics within council.
The latter traits can be rendered ineffective by a vote for Peter haslock, an untried public servant, who, yes, being human, will make a mistake or two, but who will always ensure that the public trust is upheld in his every action, whilst restoring the public's faith and conducting the municipality's business. As a proven manager he can demonstrate with and through his council that he is the right man in the right place. Vote for him!
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

inquisitive, if you know Peter Haslock, could you please have him post here? many people read, few post, but the eyes have it.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Hello Peter,

You will likely have my vote come November 15th however I would like to know your position on the following:

1. Development of the waterfront
2. The role you see of tourism on the Westside
3. How you foresee expanding the commercial revenue base of our municipality
4. As the recent naming committee issue may have negatively influenced future volunteer committee ventures Council may wish to undertake, how would you handle volunteer committees differently to reassure future potential committee volunteers that their volunteer work will not be wasted.
5. Maybe the toughest question, when all the naming issues are dealt with how you would recommend creating unity in our municipality
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

I can’t tell you how thankful I am that Castanet, who have been more than generous with their coverage of our districts election, have given me the opportunity to contribute to this forum.

I was pleased to see that a couple of folks chose to visit my thread, one of whom had some flattering things to say about me and the other was a request for something directly from me which will hopefully lead to more activity.

First let me say that I am excited about my involvement in the process and the prospect of our impending election.

I and the few brave individuals who have generously donated of their time to help me with the day to day chores, things like setting up campaign signs and putting together flyers and the many requests for interviews, and the e-mails from the electorate asking me for my opinions and my vision for our community, have kept me busy.

And it is a busy that I welcome. I feel very attached to this community and I look forward to the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to our growth and prosperity.

The sitting council has had a full agenda this past year and they have done an admirable job of laying the groundwork for the beginning of our new municipality.

Their tenure has seen its share of challenges as they learned about each other and the difficulties of forming a united group, one with a singular vision and like-minded community goals.

Some of the recent press given to the activities of our council has shed some light on the mindset of some of its members. Arguments both for and against these actions have been offered and irrespective of the intent or for that matter, the truth are not as relevant as the fact that controversy was created needlessly.

I think that somewhere along the way, some members may have lost sight of their pledge to the electorate; A pledge that acknowledged the importance of transparency in government; A pledge that stated that they each individually understood who had in fact, given them their jobs and who they are accountable too.

It is this behaviour that ultimately motivated me to stand up and ask for your support in my quest for the mayors’ seat.

I, like most of the rest of us have watched the workings of politics from a distance for most of my life and I, like most of us have had strong opinions regarding the actions of many of our elected officials. Especially when I feel that they have acted autonomously or frivolously without regard for the people who elected them.

That is not how I will conduct myself. I believe in accountability and I believe in transparency, especially when it comes to governance
I see a great future for our community, one that will only be achieved with strong leadership and input from the people who live and work and play in it.

I will never put my own agenda or the agendas of council ahead of the wishes of the citizens.

That is what is you expect and that is what you deserve.

Please let me know if you want me to elaborate on my vision for our community in this forum and I will do so gladly.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

And with that answer you have my vote.

Peter, many of us in this community, though we would of course like to see the chips fall in our favour on issues for which we have preferences, we are more interested in the assurance that those who govern us will do so transparently and not be motivated purely by a voter base or hidden agenda.

No doubt should you get on Council you will make many decisions, some with which I will agree others with which I will not. As long as you conduct yourself openly, fairly and allow for open and transparent process I will be content.

I wish you the best with your campaign. Good luck.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
savelli100

Post by savelli100 »

I have read Peter Haslock's Campaign Statement and am at a loss as to what his credentials are
for the position of Major. I would like to know more about his background so I can make an informed decision when I cast my ballad.

Mary
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

savelli100 wrote:I have read Peter Haslock's Campaign Statement and am at a loss as to what his credentials are
for the position of Major. I would like to know more about his background so I can make an informed decision when I cast my ballad.

Mary

Thanka for the post. I can appreciate your puzzlement and I will attempt to alleviate your concerns regarding my qualifications.

My background has been spent primarily in a sales and management role for 2 large companys over the past 11 years and I have travelled extensively throughout the province and have seen first hand many of our communities and the challenges they face.

I have achieved much success in my career to date and I anticipate more in the future.

I have been promoted primarily due to my skills as a leader and as someone who refuses to take a back seat to anyone. i am tenacious by nature and tenacity, professionalism and the desire to be the best that I can be has seen me receive many awards and peer recognition for outstanding performance.

I have successfully run my own business and I have been involved with community sports for many years both with my own children and prior to them arriving in mine and my wifes lives, other peoples children merely for the love of sport.

I do not lay claim to having sat on numerous committees and I do not see the relevance of this activity as it applies to municipal government. that is not to say that there is no value in having participated but i don't believe that it makes an individual who has any more qualified than one who has not.

Running a municipal government is much like running a business. A publicly owned business. Council and its mayor act in the role of the executive who have been given the responsibility and the challege of effectively and profitably looking after the business which in this case, is the community at large. They are accountable to the board of directors who are the electorate.

I believe in the power of networking and that has served me well over the years and that skill will come in handy as we try to grow our comunity.

I will promote the community much as I have promoted my employers over the years. i am fiercly loyal and this will be evident to you if I am successful in my campaign as I will demonstrate that loyalty to you.

I will be the mayor on the street, talking up our community and pursuing every avenue possible that I believe will benefit the Westside, both now and in the future.

The action is on the streets, not in city hall.

I hope that this helps in some way to ease your concerns.

Thanks again for reading my thread, my campaign statement and this reply.

Sincerely

Peter Haslock
Municipal District of Westside campaign 2008
Mayoral candidate
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Hi Peter, thank you for posting.
I am understanding a bit more of who you are, and your desire for the success of this community.

We have already seen that a Mayor doesnt need a great deal of municipal experience, with reference to Mayor Neis, and that a sound foundation in ethics and fairness to the entire community is much more important. You sound grounded and sincere.

You also seem to understand that the council works as a team, and that each person in that offices represents the many on the street.

I will look again at your website to see what your stance is on the issues, and your direction.

Looking forward to meeting you perhaps at the All Candidates Forum.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

hereiamagain wrote:Hi Peter, thank you for posting.
I am understanding a bit more of who you are, and your desire for the success of this community.

We have already seen that a Mayor doesnt need a great deal of municipal experience, with reference to Mayor Neis, and that a sound foundation in ethics and fairness to the entire community is much more important. You sound grounded and sincere.

You also seem to understand that the council works as a team, and that each person in that offices represents the many on the street.

I will look again at your website to see what your stance is on the issues, and your direction.

Looking forward to meeting you perhaps at the All Candidates Forum.

The word transparency has been tossed around a lot in the past few months and definately more in the recent past. It does not however, appear to be a word that has been taken very literally.

I can only base my comments, like the majority of the general public, on what I read and hear.

What have read and heard offers little support to our current council as having been transparent, at least in their dealing with the naming committee.

Time may however, show that this was merely a "much ado about nothing" situation but in the meantime, the public has been left wondering if this was an isolated incident versus a more common pratice.

What I think that this council and many others before them may have lost sight of is that perception is in fact reality for most people and that the publics perception surrounding this issue may prove to be more important to them than the truth.

And yes, I intimately understand that council has to have the ability to work together as a cohesive group; A group that has the ability to set aside their own personal agendas for the common good, because in the end, that is all that matters.
GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

Regarding last night's debate your answers to your leadership style and what you would like to remember for after your first term both were weak. I felt your cheap shot jokes at the other person running for mayor were in poor taste to us the voters. He came prepared and you did not so why make fun of his crib notes and then why say I heard your words but did not see you lips moving? Were you not allowed to go to the meeting with notes and information?

Some of your answers were good and you certainly have passion for our community which is to be admired and respected. You have a good command of language, speak with leadership and you have good knowledge on most of the issues.

I was pleased you informed us that your entry into the mayor's race was more then just being a spoiler.

Alas, at this time I will not be voting for you but I do wish you good luck.
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

GlenCanyon wrote:Regarding last night's debate your answers to your leadership style and what you would like to remember for after your first term both were weak. I felt your cheap shot jokes at the other person running for mayor were in poor taste to us the voters. He came prepared and you did not so why make fun of his crib notes and then why say I heard your words but did not see you lips moving? Were you not allowed to go to the meeting with notes and information?

You are absolutely right in your assesment of my response to the leadership question, it was weak. I acknowledged that at the end of my 60 seconds if you recall. As for my answer to the second question, we will have to respectfully disagree.

As for my joke regarding crib notes. they were meant as an icebreaker only and no disrespect was intended. I was as prepared as I could be but please understand that sitting council has an advantage as they have done this before and they have access to information that in some cases is not as readily available to those of us who are not on council.Some of your answers were good and you certainly have passion for our community which is to be admired and respected. You have a good command of language, speak with leadership and you have good knowledge on most of the issues.

I was pleased you informed us that your entry into the mayor's race was more then just being a spoiler.

Thankyou for that acknowledgement, I would not invest as much of my time to simply be the fly in the ointment.

Alas, at this time I will not be voting for you but I do wish you good luck.

I respect your right to vote in whatever way you see appropriate. And I thank you for taking time out of your personal life to attend the forum and to correspond with me. I hope you come to the forum on Monday the 3rd at the Westbank Alliance church on Daimler at 7:00. Who knows, maybe I'll change your mind.
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

Im curious :
Where do you stand on the need for an urgent care facility/hospital on "this side"?
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.
sellpro 46

Post by sellpro 46 »

I believe that with our poulation growing the way that it has over the last few years, that we are in desperate need of at the very least, a 24 hour emergency care facilitym personally, I don't care what we call it because I have been told thata "hospital" is dreaming to big but regardless, I feel strongly that we need something better than what we have. The clinics we do have are not adequate to serve the needs of a population the size of ours but they too are valuable to us. We don't have to build Cedars Sinai right out of the gate but we need to start sooner than later and I think that we will have to petition the Provincial Government for an exception in the use of ALR zoned land in order to tackle this.
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

I have read your replies here, as well, spoken to quite a few people and I can say this:

You have our votes! :sunshine:
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.

Return to “Westside”