Elva Webber - Council Candidate

the_zipper
Board Meister

Re: Elva Webber - Council Candidate

Post by the_zipper »

I never once said that area is Westbank in my post. My point of the post was many people that live in the District of Westside believe that they live in Kelowna. At the last Kelowna muncipal election there were many people that lived on the Westside that showed up to vote. Only to be informed that they are not Kelowna residence and they were unable to vote. I suppose I'm shocked (which is what I got from Lakeviewgirls post)that people that live on the Westside still think they live in Kelowna. Despite all that has happened in a little more than a year. Many may disagree with that statement that the area is not Westbank. From what I have read and speaking to people that have lived in this area 30, 35 ,45, 50, 70 years + will disagree the Lakeview etc area is not considered a part of Westbank. I was born and raised in Westbank. I have always believed Westbank extended from the bridge to Peachland and we were one community. The referendum really opened my eyes at how divided this community is. It really is a shame. IMO history is an important thing and I believe that history should be preserved not erased. I commend Elva on trying to keep a sense of history about our community.
fairweather
Board Meister

Post by fairweather »

I don't understand why Westbankers are afraid of losing their history. Why would they lose their history? In this day and age where there are so many means of communication and everyone seems to be writing a book because publishing is so much easier than it used to be, before we had all this modern technology - I can't figure out how anyone could "erase" history, even if they tried. In fact, it is now a lot easier to dig for info and find history, than it ever was before. So there goes that argument. Westbank will still be called Westbank, just as it was for all the time before incorporation, and even since. Rutland is still Rutland. But recent events have not only opened the eyes of those with a Kelowna address who had not previously realized they were not part of Kelowna. They have also opened the eyes of many Westbankers who have "believed" all the Westside was considered to be Westbank. Officially, it was never so. It was simply "believed".
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Let there be no doubt ... the strident Westbankers are not afraid of losing their history, they're trying to extend their hegemony, for whatever egotistical or other psychological reasons. There are many people, primarily on Westside's west side, that will vote for Westbank because it is the name they prefer, and more power to them ... I have a different preference. But the Westbank zealots are all about ego and municipal imperialism. Let's stop gracing that crew with the notion that they're nice people, old-timers, worried about losing their history. It's a power grab attempt.
NickyH

Post by NickyH »

Hi Elva,

Good luck with your campaign, I have been living between Kelowna and Westbank my whole life. I was friends with your son growing up and I remember you and your husband. I think it would be a good thing for Westbank to have someone in council who's been a long time member of the community represtenting it. If you are elected I hope you will continue caring about the community and listen to the people who reside in this beautiful area.
lakeviewgirl
Fledgling

Post by lakeviewgirl »

[quote][/quote]Let there be no doubt ... the strident Westbankers are not afraid of losing their history, they're trying to extend their hegemony, for whatever egotistical or other psychological reasons. There are many people, primarily on Westside's west side, that will vote for Westbank because it is the name they prefer, and more power to them ... I have a different preference. But the Westbank zealots are all about ego and municipal imperialism. Let's stop gracing that crew with the notion that they're nice people, old-timers, worried about losing their history. It's a power grab attempt.[quote

WOW!! Thank you. I couldn't agree more.
lakeviewgirl
Fledgling

Post by lakeviewgirl »

I don't believe I live in Kelowna, however, I would perfer to be considered Kelowna rather than Westbank. I have never ever said I live in Westbank, and I never will. I'am not from Westbank, I'm from Lakeview Heights. The Westside is split in half. The majority of Casa Loma, West Kelowna Estates and Lakeview Heights wanted to become part of Kelowna. You should read the post that was put up in Lakeview Heights Shopping Plaza. What Westbank Thinks of Us. It's funny. And quite frankly true.
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

Lakeview girl you wrote in your post you lived in Kelowna. The vote to amalgamate or incorporate was over a year ago. Democratically incorporation won. We are all one muncipality now and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's time to move on. Have you entertained the idea that after Nov 15th there is a possiblity that you will live in Westbank. Never say Never unless you are planning a move.
NickyH

Post by NickyH »

I hope that all of the people living on the Westside have more of an interest on other items our electoral hopefuls are basing their platforms on other then the naming of our community. We all have our opinions on what our name should be that's why we will have the opportunity to cast our vote to decide on a name for our community. Our Council candidates do not get to choose the name if elected we get to have our voices heard by casting a vote. I would like to know where our candidates stand on other issues.

Elva where do you stand on policing, road improvment, water park/skate park for our children.
BJWALKER

Post by BJWALKER »

Hi Elva
I am a 3rd generation born and raised Westbank girl (related to lots - Droughts, Hewletts, Browns, Ingrams etc).
I went to George Pringle with your siblings Garry, Sandi and Sharon.
Although I lived in Lakeview Heights I still considered myself a Westbank girl as did most of us who grew up there - although I am hearing that Lakeview Heights people do not have those same feelings today.
There must be a more compatible solution to this huge problem - especially with all the Kelowna people running for office in Westbank it sounds like they want to do a "take over".
My suggestion: why don't they use the old "Veteran's Land Act boundaries" for West Kelowna or Westside or Lakeview Heights as it was called in my day - and everything else could be Westbank??
Stick to your guns girl and the best of luck in your campaign!!!
Did you know that there are other George Pringle alumni that have been in political office in BC??
Terry Lake/Mayor of Kamloops running for Provincial government/Kamloops-North Thompson
Bert Walker/Regional Director for Wells Gray Country/North Thompson/running for Clearwater Council
Jim Manion/Councillor in Princeton
Peter Waterman/lived in Casa Loma/Councillor in Summerland/running for Mayor[/list]
Yea George Pringle - I hope you will be too!!
I would vote for you if I could!!!! - I did sign the online petition to keep Westbank as Westbank!!!
Take care - Joyce Hicks-Walker
Clearwater BC
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

ah, okay! Someone from Clearwater signed a Westbank petition?
What do you think about that Elva?
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

At last night's debate you spoke well, clear and precise plus your signs are the best.

Just wondering are you a Hatfeld or a McCoy because you certainly come across as supporting only the Westbank position? Westbank certainly has a long history and most likely will win but other people might not think that way. This might not be how you actually feel and if it is not I hope I get to find out at the next all candidate's meeting. At the moment you are on the out looking in.

Good luck.
fourrunner

Post by fourrunner »

I was not born and raised here but have been a resident of Westbank (yes Westbank, have never called it anything but Westbank) for more than 20 years. When I cross the border I don't say I am from Kelowna, I say Westbank and have never been asked where is Westbank. I think the entire name change fiasco is just another indication of how much we have become a "throw away society", don't like it, toss it away and get another. I feel for the residents that were born and raised here and understand their strong feelings, I know I wouldn't be very happy if they changed the name of my home town.
I believe that Mrs. Webber will accept whatever name the voters choose and she is entitled to her personal opinion as are we all, Good Luck Mrs. Webber!!
Ewebber

Post by Ewebber »

Hi Joyce of course I remember you and Bert.
Good to hear from you.
The family is all well.
Dad just turned 93. Mom with be 88 in a few months.

Yes I knew some of what you said about people from G P being in political office.
Say hi to the family from Al and I.
Thanks for the luck.
Elva..
GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

Good luck.
lakeviewgirl
Fledgling

Post by lakeviewgirl »

It's funny..last night you (Elva) said that you have lived always lived in Westbank. Well that was a blunt lie, especially since you had said on this forum you had lived in Lakeview Heights..let me remind you that is a different subdivision.

Return to “Westside”