Elva Webber - Council Candidate

canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Elva Webber - Council Candidate

Post by canadman »

Hello Elva,

I mentioned this to Sheila Kennedy last night but I don't think she believed me (can't blame her for that though) so I thought I'd say it on here.

I thought you did very well last night!

Obviously you and I are on opposite ends of the naming issue and on that issue we don't see eye to eye but I found you to be extremely sincere and very well spoken. For someone who is not a politician I found you to be more eloquent than most up there.

I took a break at one point during the forum and went outside and called my wife just to let her know how it was going and mentioned to her that you seemed the most real, the everyday person who really understood the grass roots feelings of ordinary people.

I am still not sure whether inexperience may hurt you and whether I can overcome our extreme differences on the naming issue, but after months of being bashed on here and elsewhere (I know what that feels like lol) I thought you deserved a 'credit where credit is due' moment. :)

Nice job and good luck with the campaign.
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I agree with canadman, Elva. I just wish I could get over the fact that your candidacy was born in the "depths" (lol) of Westbank over the naming issue, with the likes of the reprenehsible angusog having seriously clouded my vision on the pro-Westbank stalwarts, which I can't help identifying you with. Duane Ophus told me last night when I was making the same comment to him about you that I "have to get over that" and he's probably right, but I find it difficult. Maybe you could give us a comment on angusog and his role in the Westbank campaign and on these posts that would let us (me) see what you think of his approach and style.
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

Seriously Rob? One obnoxious poster on a local internet forum has that much impact on the way you plan to vote?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

The man is vile, and I've never heard him repudiated by anyone on the Westbank plank, so I have to conclude he's part of their strategy. Therefore, yes, that much.
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

I'm pretty sure Electric Sky has. Personally I don't read much of his ridiculous posts I tend to skip over them. You do have a point he does make the "Westbank Plank"( or as I would call it just regular folk who like the name Westbank) look bad.
Ewebber

Post by Ewebber »

For lakeview girl
I have said I was born and raised in the Okanagan valley.
Moved from Peachland to Westbank [old Okanagan highway, then it was called first Ave. north] in 1963 when I was 8.
The first two years after I was married I lived with my husband in Kelowna, then we bought a mobile home and moved it to Trailpark on Ross road where we lived for 7 years. While living on Ross road Al was a volunteer fireman [for five years] with the Lakeview fire dept. Joe Strocen [the same one running for council now] was in the fire dept with Al. Also while living there I worked for a couple of years at Bylands nursery, I’ve known John and Maria since they with teenagers.
Then we bought a house in Glenrosa and we are still there. I have my birth Cert. And all my school records etc. If you don’t believe me I can show you all my records, and you can ask Joe or John and Marie and many others who know me.
Elva Webber
Last edited by Ewebber on Nov 11th, 2008, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ewebber

Post by Ewebber »

For canadman thank you Adam that was very nice of you to say.
We may have a different name choice but I would stand beside you and fight for things we both believe in, like good schools, roads, safe water etc.

For Rob
I could say if you put horse manure on a rose it will bloom. Would you concentrate on the manure or the flower?
Is the most important thing the catalyst that started my interest in running or how hard I would work if I got in?

As for Angusog, I don’t know anything about the person accept what I have read on the forum.
I can no more be responsible for what he or she writes than I can be for what you write.
You should have seen for yourself by now I have my own way with people.
I don’t look to others for that I’ve had this personality since I was a kid.
I stuck up for what I believed in and stood up for my beliefs even in elementary school.

I can only speak for myself and for what I think and believe in.
Everyone has their own reason for the name they like or don’t like.
What is important is to get past this and work together for the community.
Why would I lie about where I’ve lived like lakeviewgirl said? I have lived in a small area my whole life so it is something easy to prove.
I do love the valley, my life and my memories and the people I love most on this earth are here. That is why I do love it and want it looked after. My children and grandchildren live here. I don’t want our home screwed up for the generations yet to come behind us.
Is that really so hard for people to believe?
Elva Webber
Ewebber

Post by Ewebber »

Glencanyon
I loved your comment “right now your on the out looking in’
Very well put.
Yes I will vote for the name Westbank.
But voting for one name is far different from only supporting one side, what ever name wins I will get behind and work with it. Do you realize for the people who do want the name Westbank we have already lost it? We lost it last year when we were named Westside. We have been living and working under that name for a year.
It was only when we were finally allowed to have a say in the name that people came forward to say why they believed we should be Westbank and started to get our history out there.
I have not seen any of the Westbank history being denied by the council because it is our history.
To me Westside is a nickname. I hope it isn’t our permanent name.
Chief Robert Louie said he studied Native land claims while he was while studying to be a lawyer, he said the land claims showed it was Westbank from the Old ferry docks thru to Peachland.
The big difference between the sides is that one side thinks the whole area was Westbank and that it grew and changed over the years. B. C. archives, Lake history, Native land claims, and books do tell Westbank’s story.
The other side thinks that we were all separate areas that grew over the years.
Yes some may have not felt a part of Westbank. I understand that.
If you do look at the names Westbank and district chamber of commerce, Westbank Lions, Westbank rotary, it should show you that we were Westbank. People from the whole area started these, and worked to build the community up. Worked together.
When we lived on Ross road we felt we were still a part of Westbank, I shopped and banked in Westbank. My husband, my brothers and sisters had all gone to school with kids from all over the area at George Pringle high school [Lakeview, Casa Loma etc.] and we all felt we were Westbank kids. We got along with the Peachland kids who also went to school with us.
If you live in Lakeview etc. and work and shop in Kelowna you would connect with them, but you do live in Westside and I would hope you would want Westside to thrive and not want to hurt it.
A man asked about his taxes paying for downtown at the forum. We pay federal tax that helps the country; we pay Provencal tax that helps B.C. I have not traveled or lived all over Canada or all over B.C. so I might not see a lot of what my taxes help with.
I want to live in a community, if I wanted to go it alone I would live in a cave somewhere and eat berries and wear animal skins. I don’t mind my taxes going to help others; maybe someone will get a student loan and become the Dr that saves the life of my best friend or family member. My local taxes might go for something I won’t use but maybe my neighbors, family or friends will. Next time your taxes may be used for something needed on my street. That is what a community does. The same would happen if you were paying your taxes to Kelowna.
We don’t live in a land of make believe we need to first put in place what is most needed then we can do other things.
At one council meeting it was brought up that our district staff should look at all the plans in the works, many were started by CORD had I been allowed I would have ask just now many plans it would be feasible for staff to handle. Yes we want to get things done but we need to use common sense as to which ones have the greatest need and put them in line to be done first.
Parks, walking and bike paths are wonderful and I hope we will have many more in place but we need to install sewers for people where the sewers are failing first.
Goat’s peak should be preserved and the path connected to Peachland paths.
We have many great ideas started in the area and I hope we can do many of them in a short amount of time, but we need to use time and resources wisely.
Forums are good but you really don’t get a change to know the candidates there.
It is hard to do a forum after you say something you think my I could have answered that better.
In a perfect world every new thing we built in Westside would be built in the middle but in the real world we will be limited to where we have the land and how much money we can spent on it.
The community plan should be the guideline for all of that.
Do we want everything fairly close together so it is easy to move from city hall to RCMP building to fire hall? Would we have an area big to do that?
You of course need to get to the hospital alive but I go beyond that if the hospital like KGH is already overwhelmed how much more so will it be in the future we need to lobby harder to get a health care facility over on this side of the lake.
We can lobby for grants to help us in other ways.
Let me at them. I want to work for us all. Yes the whole area, just because I don’t live all over the area doesn’t mean I don’t care about the whole area.
Kelowna was my Dad’s hometown and I love it.
It we had voted to amalgamate with Kelowna it would have been logical to become West Kelowna we did not do that so it is not logical to me to do it now.
Now it would be like a girl saying I won’t marry you but I will take your name anyway.
To me it is not logical or right. And I do wonder what the whole Valley thinks of that idea?

Well sorry I didn’t mean to write a book on here.
Hope that some of you will know where I’m coming from now.
To me Westbank is the whole area and I do love it all.
But if we get another name, I will still love the whole area.
Elva.
Ewebber

Post by Ewebber »

Also for lakeviewgirl
My husband and I shop all over the area.
We have been steady customers of the bakery in Lakeview for about 25 years, since it opened. You can ask Cliff or Mary this. I get my hair cut in lakeview ask Tracy.
We shop at both local plant nurseries.
We buy local fruit and vegetables as often as we can.
My husband’s shop for work is in the industrial area.
I think we are normal, most of the people we know do the same thing; yes we go to Kelowna to shop sometimes but not to often.
We like to support locals; all over the area, I shop at all the different grocery stores.
We want the community to prosper and we show that by our actions.
Money we spend in Westside will help with jobs and with taxes.
Elva
copper02
Board Meister

Post by copper02 »

lakeviewgirl wrote:It's funny..last night you (Elva) said that you have lived always lived in Westbank. Well that was a blunt lie, especially since you had said on this forum you had lived in Lakeview Heights..let me remind you that is a different subdivision.

And may I remind YOU that a subdivision does not a town make.!!!!Lakeview never was and never will be a town, village, hamlet, city ,or municipality in and of itself. You need to suck it up and move on.
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless,and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful Samuel Johnson
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

You show your ignorance as well as your bias, copper. Our official community plan shows a town centre in "Westbank" and a village centre in Lakeview Heights.
copper02
Board Meister

Post by copper02 »

rturner wrote:You show your ignorance as well as your bias, copper. Our official community plan shows a town centre in "Westbank" and a village centre in Lakeview Heights.

AHHH I see it's slander Copper day and where would I find that information please?
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless,and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful Samuel Johnson
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

No more slandering you than you slandered my neighbourhood. It's the danger of spouting off without having or knowing the facts. As noted, it is contained in the Westside OCP, which was last updated by the regional district, is now taken over by our municipality, and will be updated again in an important review starting after the election.
canadman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by canadman »

Lol, since it's written I think he means libel... and for the record, I think we moved beyond libel back around late July...
"The road to hell is paved with concrete."
copper02
Board Meister

Post by copper02 »

you're right canadaman
I'll retract the word slander
The ocp that is in effect was devised by the Regional District not the District of Westside,and frankly the Regional District's ideas for this community are based on a different model than that of our new community. the idea of the Lakeview village center came from them not the district of westside.nothing is written in stone.
This is my last comment on this as this thread is not where it belongs.
Good Luck Ms Webber
Last edited by copper02 on Nov 6th, 2008, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Westside”