Joseph Strocen - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

Joseph Strocen - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for Joseph Strocen, council candidate.
JVD3741

Re: Joseph Strocen - Council Candidate

Post by JVD3741 »

Hello Mr. Strocen;

Have read your Campaign Statement.......in particular your objectives. You have not passed comment on any of the real issues, listed are some that have risen during the term of the last council.

1) Voting against the formation of a Citizens Advisory Committee?

2) The Backroom Politicing regarding the renaming process w/ total disregard for the work that was done by the citizens ..?

3) Is there a plan for a "townhall location"? The interm site is a good choice, it should be located somewhere in middle of the district, your think?.

4) AND where are the candidates? I hear about all the door knocking. This is the 2nd election, to date NOBODY has knocked on our door. Maybe we live too far north, or the streets & driveways are too steep?

What would you do differently?

The candidate that can answer my questions honestly will get our vote.
joe_strocen1

Post by joe_strocen1 »

Danner,
I received your post. In reply to your questions:
A decision was made by council to have volunteer members of the community form a committee, to recommend names to the Westside Council. After many dedicated volunteer hours spent, the recommendations put forth should have been presented to council for consideration. The underhandedness of council is NOT what I approve of. One of the reasons I decided to run is to end the shenanigans, and have an open and transparent representation on Westside Council.

I agree that there is an obvious split on council. There is a point where one can disagree, but another to be disagreeable. It is time to mend the polarization of the community and start working cohesively as a team. I have worked on various boards over the years, it is essential in order to be productive, to forge an effective and efficient working relationship to meet the common goal.

I will look forward to knocking on your door sometime over the next few weeks. If you have further questions/comments please let me know. My website is:joestrocen.com. If you are interested, please come out to the All Candidates meeting on Oct 28 at the Westbank Lions Center and/or the All Candidates meeting at the Alliance Church on Nov.3 at 7pm. The Nov 3 meeting the public will have the opportunity to go up and ask their questions of the incumbants and those running for council. -Joe Strocen
joe_strocen1

Post by joe_strocen1 »

Danner,
To answer the rest of your questions:

I would not vote against the formation of Citizen Advisory Committee, but rather feel it would be beneficial and also inclusive of the community.

In regards to the town hall, the current site for the town hall to be centered at teh Mount Boucherie Community center should suffice due to the prohibitive cost of establishing a municipal hall.

Joe
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

A warm welcome to Joseph Strocen! Good to have you here!
GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

At last night's all candidates meeting I was impressed we have so many excellent people running for council. You are certainly one of them. I have yet to decide on all my votes and at ths time I have yet to pick you. I was impressed with your passion and love of our community. Good luck.
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Just saw your signs up and they look great! Best of luck with the election!
GlenCanyon

Post by GlenCanyon »

Joe, you never broke out of the pack and made anything individual. I know you complain that there is a 5-2 split on council but putting you in there for that reason alone is not enough. Maybe next time when there are some new ideas from you.
joe_strocen1

Post by joe_strocen1 »

Glencanyon,
I think you mistook my answer. ONE of the reasons I am running is because of the obvious split on council. It is time to mend the polarization in the community, put the animosty behind us and start to work cohesively as a group. That is what I object to. There is point where one can disagree, but another to be disagreeable. Another reason I am running, is my commitment to the community. I have been involved in the community for over 28yrs. I am passionate about ensuring taxpayer's money is spent wisely and responsibly. My experience as a trustee on the LID with my proven experience in fiscal responsibility. Most people are not aware that the LID always has maintained a surplus which has now been earmarked for the future expansion and preservation of our watershed- WITHOUT further cost to the ratepayers!

This is why I am running. I hope you reconsider your vote. If you would like to review my pamphlet you can go to my website or I would be happy to deliver one to discuss any further concerns.

Joe Strocen
joe_strocen1

Joseph Strocen - Council Candidate Website

Post by joe_strocen1 »

Please feel free to review my Platform at my website...
http://joestrocen.com/
Joe Strocen
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Hi Joe, I am voting for you. I think you will keep other's feet to the fire. We need that.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
bear11

Post by bear11 »

I watched you with interest at the last 2 forums. You answer with directness and don't skirt the issue. You will have my support. Hopefully you will not change as the years go by as seen by some of the current councillors. Good luck!
waterskirick

Post by waterskirick »

I've sent this to all candidates. A yes or no answer will do.

I'd like to vote for someone with a little spine. Our mayor has stated (unlike all other cadidates) that she will only support a new name that has shown more than 50% support from the whole community. A new name will not help unify us if it only has 30% or 35% support. We need a majority, and if we don't get that, then some kind of run off until we do.

So far I have only one candidate to vote for, Neis for councillor. I'll vote for others only if they show leadership and commit to a 50 + 1% requirement for a new name. Will you commit to this?
p2malone

Post by p2malone »

Hello, I am undecided about which candidates to vote for in the upcoming election, so I am sending out a question for all. We have lived here just a short time (8 months) and my family and I are horrified with the amount of crime and drugs that Kelowna /Westside has. Both places are getting a very bad reputation for high criminal activity and I strongly believe that something needs to be done about it. The name of the Westside does not have very much importance when the world is referring to it as Crack Alley, Drug City, Meth. Meadows, etc...... These are just a few names that I have heard in other provinces, when referring to Kelowna and the Westside. My question.......if you are voted in will you support a increase in policing? Thank you in advance.
joe_strocen1

Post by joe_strocen1 »

Hi waterskirick ,

I am willing to support the voice of the people in the election, so if 35% of the people choose a particular name, and that name has the largest percentage of the majority, I will support that name.

We will have to see what happens at the election and hope for a great voter turnout.

Joe Strocen
www.joestrocen.com

Return to “Westside”