Mary Mandarino - Council Candidate

GlenCanyon

Re: Mary Mandarino - Council Candidate

Post by GlenCanyon »

Mary, you are a dynamic woman who would be an added plus to any group including our council. It was interesting meeting you. At tonight's all candiadtes meeting (Nov.3rd 08) you were defininity strong and spoke with a desire to win. But I have one very big fear Mary. I live in Wesbank and I worry I will be forgotten. But one even bigger fear is I live in Glen Canyon which is the really forgotten part of Westbank. What will and can you do to insure me that we (Glan Canyon) will not be forgotten? We need a bus route now.......

Good luck.
lakeviewgirl
Fledgling

Post by lakeviewgirl »

You live in Westbank Glencanyon!!! How do you think the residents of the North Westside feel!! We need someone like Mary on the council. Many of the candidates are all for Westbank...they don't care about the North end. I especially feel for Casa Loma. Candidates such as Elva Webber wouldn't even know what to do with improvements in the North end because she has never looked into them, she doesn't care. She is pro Westbank, and you will not be forgotten.
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Good Morning hereiamagain I will forward a response to you later today.

I have a number of points I want to include.

If you don't mind I would like to answer glencanyon first.

But I will answer your questions.

Regards from Mary Mandarino
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Good Morning Glen Canyon,

I hear what you are saying. Lakeview girl is correct.

This council has been about Westbank as if there is no other neighbourhood on their radar.

eg: Westbank Town Centre; Westbank Firehall; Westbank kiddy water park.

Lakeview Heights lost their elementary school about 7 or 8 years ago. It was sold.

Next the school building was bulldozed. This building could have been used by our community.

We also lost the playing fields at the Lakeview Elementary school site.

We are now left with a pile of rubble and weeds.

glencanyon,

I have some time avialable on Saturday how would you like to organize a meeting with some of your neighb ours and I will listen to your concerns. I will be happy to come to Glen Canyon.

Please advise.

lakeviewgirl,

I make the same offer to you for Saturday. Please advise.

My promise is to be Inclusive to ALL neighbourhoods.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you for the heads up from both of you.

brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

GlenCanyon wrote:Mary, you are a dynamic woman who would be an added plus to any group including our council. It was interesting meeting you. At tonight's all candiadtes meeting (Nov.3rd 08) you were defininity strong and spoke with a desire to win. But I have one very big fear Mary. I live in Wesbank and I worry I will be forgotten. But one even bigger fear is I live in Glen Canyon which is the really forgotten part of Westbank. What will and can you do to insure me that we (Glan Canyon) will not be forgotten? We need a bus route now.......

Good luck.

Can someone tell me WHERE Glen Canyon is?
doorknocker

Post by doorknocker »

Glen Canyon is a small development , about 30 homes,just west of the Glen Ridge development on Gellatly Road just east of the 97/Glen Rosa interchange...........if that makes any sense

Marc Greenberg
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Candidate Mandarino, the following two posts are being read by voters on the "Westside Mayoral - General Discussion" thread. I thought you should have an opportunity to respond and give your side of these matters.

truthseeker wrote:After reading many of these posts I have finally felt compelled to "join-up"!
I am somewhat surprised that Mary Mandarino is seen by some as clear headed, balanced and fair, and with no ego. Has everyone forgotten the farce when she was President of the Central Okanagan Parent Advisory Council (COPAC) and the member PACs had a vote of non-confidence in her and she refused to step down? The parents had to seek legal advice and it almost destroyed COPAC. When anyone crosses Ms Mandarino she threatens a lawsuit. She also ran as school trustee in Kelowna some years ago, even though she lived on the Westside. She did not get elected.

oldal wrote:Mary Mandarino must have mellowed considerably if people think she lacks a big ego and is a pillar of reason they should have been around about 10 years ago when she was running roughshod over anyone and everyone who disagreed with her. She's failed to be elected twice. Hopefully people will be careful enough to see her for what she is and make sure she stays out of office. I try to see the good side of people, but here is one person who is very difficult to like.

I also have the following question, as it pertains to what we should expect to see in the near future.
At the time of the Governance referendum in June 2007 and Westside municipal election in Nov. 2007 you had the following disclosures:
Prior to the Governance referendum in June of 2007 a pamphlet was handed out to Westside voters containing the following information:
Presented by "Westsiders for Amalgamation".
4. Westsiders in control of $25 million transition support
* An estimated value of $25,000,000 in cash and in-kind services will be provided by the Province for transition
For more information contact: Mary Mandarino, Vice Chair

Prior to the Westside municipal election a Nov. 14, 2007 Capital News article "Let's hear from the candidates" quotes candidate Mary Mandarino's answer to the question: "How should the municipality keep taxation in check and what are the spending priorities?" as follows:
"The provincial government is providing $1.425 million in annual assistance for the next five years and not $5 million as many of us were led to believe."

$5 Million X 5 = $25 Million June 2007
$1.425 M X 5 = $7.125 Million Nov. 2007

Would you please explain to us the reasons you told us in Nov. 2007 there was only $7.125 million in Provincial assistance over the five years, and not the much higher $25 million that you previously said in June 2007 Westside was receiving?

Also please tell us which of the two amounts is correct.

Thank you.

(Edited to show the math for the variance in amounts over 5 years.)
Last edited by Bestside on Nov 5th, 2008, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Good Morning iamhereagain,

I am sorry to have taken so long to reply to you. Here is my reply to your last post containing questions.

Re: being outside of decision making as were Mayor Neis and Heather Pilling. I would remind my fellow councillors that I was elected by (number) of voters to speak on their behalf. So I would expect my opinion to be heard even if it is a minority opinion at the table.

I will speak on my supporters behalf. They will have a voice.

Re: The Westside Residents Association's purpose is to provide a voice for ALL residents and to be inclusive. By the way, this is how our council should be, inclusive of ALL residents.

WRA will look at issues related to all levels of government, municipal, provincial and federal, regional district also.

As for a council advisory group I would like to see specific advisory groups. eg: An Arts and Culture Advisory Board

A Parks and Recreation Advisory Board. A Heritage Advisory Board.

ALL facets of our community and residents interests need to be represented.

Once we start including community members I see this as a step towards uniting our community.

RE: Hospital. Now we have a new bridge that has made travel faster and easier. KGH is now more readily accessible as is the cancer clinic.Travel time has been vastly improved. I noticed this during the summer tourist season.

We have the services we need on the Westside eg: Xray lab, blood work lab, physiotherapists, chiropractors, emegency medical falilities and the Ambulance service is equipped for emergancy cardiac care. I know these services are not all located under the one roof, which of course would be ideal, but they are available to citizens of the Westside.

RE: Sewer: this is a MUST DO. Glenrosa residents have a huge problem with failing septic fields. Areas of Lakeview Heights sewers must be completed as well.

An important point to consider is that our economic situation is fragile right now.

This must be taken into consideration as we move forward with our new municipality.

Young families and retirees will be impacted the most by this economic downturn.

I trust that this answers your questions.

Thank you for taking the time to ask them.

hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Hi Mary, thank you for your responses. You will have my vote.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Mary’s All Candidates Forum Opening Speech

There is a rumour out there that Mary Mandarino was too quiet, not the controversial Mary Mandarino you all know. I assure you that rumour is not based on fact.

I am here and I am here to stay.

Open, Honest, Inclusive is how our council should be.

On October 7 at an In-Camera meeting Heather Pilling resigned.

She was Open, Honest, and Inclusive advising the public that important decisions were being made behind closed doors, decisions that should have been made public.

Heather Pilling was elected by 3,279 voters. Council did not have the right to dismiss these votes.

Our present council voted against forming a citizens group.

Together with 4 community members I formed the Westside Resident’s Association to ensure a voice for ALL.

Our present council voted against the recommendations of the naming committee. This committee included volunteer representatives from ALL areas of our community.

It is black and white.

If we are to succeed as a community we must be inclusive, open and honest.

At the Westbank Forum I listened to candidates make promises about how they are going to spend YOUR money.

We all know that we are now into the worst economic crisis in 75 years and that the extent of the tight money period has not yet been determined.

Westside citizens have a long list of wants. There is also a list of MUST DO’S, sewers in Glenrosa, policing, school routes, roadways and sidewalks, that must be considered ASAP.

The wants and MUST DO lists demand a competent, cooperative council truly representative of the whole Westside as a united community.

Your newly elected council must accept the present economic conditions, determine the needs of the Westside and devise a sound and logical Official Community Plan that will deliver the most urgent and necessary needs of ALL neighborhoods.

The Municipality’s income is derived mainly from residential taxation and supplemented by a small business base. Residential taxes supply the bulk of our revenues.

It is a fact that both business tax payers and household tax payers have been, or will be, affected by the economic slump.

We need a council that will be considerate of the limitations of residents while arriving at a selective list of needs. A council with vision.

Proposals and expenses that have been conducted by the District and passed on for our consideration and possible approval should be re-visited and re-negotiated. Any proposals not written in stone are open to re-negotiation.

Any expenditure that is budgeted must be paid by the taxpayer. Budgets the taxpayers cannot pay if they do not have the income.

Our young families and our retirees will feel this impact.

The term of the new council is three years and these, undoubtedly are going to be three lean, tough years for council, staff and YOU the taxpayer.

It is black and white.

One promise I make to Westside citizens is that I WILL listen to you and speak on your behalf.
It is the residents who pay staff salaries and council stipends.

YOU, the taxpayer, are our employer.

Please, choose your candidate wisely.
steren
Board Meister

Post by steren »

mary mandarino wrote:Good Morning Glen Canyon,

I hear what you are saying. Lakeview girl is correct.

This council has been about Westbank as if there is no other neighbourhood on their radar.

eg: Westbank Town Centre; Westbank Firehall; Westbank kiddy water park.

Lakeview Heights lost their elementary school about 7 or 8 years ago. It was sold.

Next the school building was bulldozed. This building could have been used by our community.

We also lost the playing fields at the Lakeview Elementary school site.

We are now left with a pile of rubble and weeds.

glencanyon,

I have some time avialable on Saturday how would you like to organize a meeting with some of your neighb ours and I will listen to your concerns. I will be happy to come to Glen Canyon.

Please advise.

lakeviewgirl,

I make the same offer to you for Saturday. Please advise.

My promise is to be Inclusive to ALL neighbourhoods.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you for the heads up from both of you.

I would like to add to Mary's post ---the selling of the Lakeview elementary school, the bulldozing of the school and the loss of the playing fields happened long before we became incorporated--it was our governing body "The Regional District of Central Okanagan that was responsible for all of that. As for the current council being all about "Westbank"--we do have a town center--I don't believe there has been any expenditures to fix it up--the Westbank Fire Hall--I believe we are all one fire dept. now--the Westside Fire Dept. and the kiddy park---I think that it is community based with lots of fund raising happening. I just drove through Lake Country--or should I say Winfield and Oyama today. Wow--lots of improvements in the town center of Winfield and I would imagine that all of Lake Country is paying for it via their taxes--I do not see any arguing or fighting about any of it. They are working together as a community. Hopefully that will happen with us. The fact is that the only idenifying town center is Westbank--no other area has what could be considered a town center.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Just for the record, it was the school district, not the regional district, that sold the school. Our former regional government has lots to answer for, but not thing it wasn't responsible for.
copper02
Board Meister

Post by copper02 »

Quote"Re: The Westside Residents Association's purpose is to provide a voice for ALL residents and to be inclusive. By the way, this is how our council should be, inclusive of ALL residents." unquote

OK so help me understand ALL residents? why then on this site are the "pro West Kelowna" candidates the only candidates with email addresses?
The following is copied and pasted from the

The Westside Residents Association website

Candidates for a new Westside Council

The following is a list of people running for Westside Council

Westside Mayor
Doug Findlater
Peter Haslock http://www.haslock4mayor.blogspot.com/

Westside Council (elect 6) * Note: You do not have to vote for 6, you can vote for 1 if you like, up to 6.

Jim Dixon
Marc Greenberg
David Knowles (i)
Mary Mandarino marymandarino.com
Gord Milsom (i)
Rosalind Neis
Duane Ophus (i)
Joseph Strocen joestrocen.com
Elva Webber
Bryden Winsby
Carol Zanon (i)

You claim to represent All residents.
This seems quite biased to me, and by doing this is encourage "plumping" in other words only voting for Your choice of candidates
You would think that that email would have been sent to at least all of the people that ran last year wouldn't you?
Who was it sent to anyway ? I have heard of no-one that received it
Why do you think it is necessary to have a "village centre" within our new town?
Will all subdivisions have a "village center"?
Will you be changing this list to include ALL candidates representing ALL residents?
I look forward to your response
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless,and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful Samuel Johnson
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

copper wrote:Quote"Re: The Westside Residents Association's purpose is to provide a voice for ALL residents and to be inclusive. By the way, this is how our council should be, inclusive of ALL residents." unquote

OK so help me understand ALL residents? why then on this site are the "pro West Kelowna" candidates the only candidates with email addresses?
The following is copied and pasted from the

The Westside Residents Association website

Candidates for a new Westside Council

The following is a list of people running for Westside Council

Westside Mayor
Doug Findlater
Peter Haslock http://www.haslock4mayor.blogspot.com/

Westside Council (elect 6) * Note: You do not have to vote for 6, you can vote for 1 if you like, up to 6.

Jim Dixon
Marc Greenberg
David Knowles (i)
Mary Mandarino marymandarino.com
Gord Milsom (i)
Rosalind Neis
Duane Ophus (i)
Joseph Strocen joestrocen.com
Elva Webber
Bryden Winsby
Carol Zanon (i)

You claim to represent All residents.
This seems quite biased to me, and by doing this is encourage "plumping" in other words only voting for Your choice of candidates
You would think that that email would have been sent to at least all of the people that ran last year wouldn't you?
Who was it sent to anyway ? I have heard of no-one that received it
Why do you think it is necessary to have a "village centre" within our new town?
Will all subdivisions have a "village center"?
Will you be changing this list to include ALL candidates representing ALL residents?
I look forward to your response

Hi Copper...
I don't understand your concerns...
I see 3 candidates with websites listed...
In respect to the vote for a municipal name ..
one of those with a website listed is for Westbank as the name
One of those is for Westside
And one (Mandarino) for West Kelowna.

It seems to me your innuendo about the candidates is not fair...

Lakeview Heights has a village centre on Anders Road...
there are developers plans ongoing to enlarge on that Village Centre..
Are Westbankers suggesting there should not be a village centre on Anders RD?
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
copper02
Board Meister

Post by copper02 »

I am not making innuendos, just stating facts, that website is terribly one sided.It claims to be for all residents , but it is not for all residents, I will be satisfied with any name that is chosen. Just because I prefer westbank doesn't mean I have anything against the rest of the westside. I just think it odd that a village plan "is in the works", but nothing has come out about the concept itself.That doesnt mean it is carved in stone. At least not that I have found anyways. I believe in sateliite shopping centres , anything to keep people from having to do a lot of driving, I'm just not convinced that Ms Manderino has the same kind of ideas for all of the westside. IMO she would never agree to having other Village Centres around the westside. I have seen this concept work very well in places like New Zealand where everyone walked to "the shops" just hope that everyone can work together on this and have a westside plan, not a hand-me-down from the Regional district. This is our community and it needs to be kept intact, and planned for by our community. In all Fairness I hope Ms Manerino will update that site and keep it all of westside , not just north westside.

Good luck in your campaign Ms Manderino
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless,and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful Samuel Johnson

Return to “Westside”