Mary Mandarino - Council Candidate

Bestside
Guru

Re: Mary Mandarino - Council Candidate

Post by Bestside »

copper wrote:I am not making innuendos, just stating facts, that website is terribly one sided.It claims to be for all residents , but it is not for all residents, I will be satisfied with any name that is chosen. Just because I prefer westbank doesn't mean I have anything against the rest of the westside. I just think it odd that a village plan "is in the works", but nothing has come out about the concept itself.That doesnt mean it is carved in stone. At least not that I have found anyways. I believe in sateliite shopping centres , anything to keep people from having to do a lot of driving, I'm just not convinced that Ms Manderino has the same kind of ideas for all of the westside. IMO she would never agree to having other Village Centres around the westside. I have seen this concept work very well in places like New Zealand where everyone walked to "the shops" just hope that everyone can work together on this and have a westside plan, not a hand-me-down from the Regional district. This is our community and it needs to be kept intact, and planned for by our community. In all Fairness I hope Ms Manerino will update that site and keep it all of westside , not just north westside.

Good luck in your campaign Ms Manderino

Sorry Copper... I mixed up your above comments with this from another thread:
copper wrote:And may I remind YOU that a subdivision does not a town make.!!!!Lakeview never was and never will be a town, village, hamlet, city ,or municipality in and of itself. You need to suck it up and move on.

That said, your issues with Ms. Mandarino's "platform" should not be used to tear down what Lakeview Heights Community holds dear.

Lakeview Heights is a government recognized distinct Community just the same as Westbank and Glenrosa is. The following is how the WGC viewed the Westside in 2003. Note the participants and the separation of communities, in particular Lakeview.

http://www.westsidegovernance.org/documents/minutesoct2903.pdf

Excerpt.
Westside Governance Committee Minutes Oct 29, 2003

In Attendance: Doug Findlater (Chair), Broc Braconnier, Jim Dixon, Mike Duggan,
Roger Jorgensen, David Knowles, Larry Mintz, Len Novakowski,
Geoffrey Paynter, Joe Strocen, Mark Wylie

8. John Steil, Stantec Consulting a) Discussion i) Communities of Interest

John Steil asked Committee members for their thoughts on identifiable subareas within the larger Westside. Committee:

· Casa Loma and other areas that have Kelowna addresses. Residents tend to shop in
Kelowna rather than going to Westbank.

· Mission Hill, a large area without a community association.

· The Pritchard Drive area, a separate enclave surrounded by the orchard and the lake.
This area has its own water system, with the sewer system managed by CORD, and
specific geographic boundaries

· Lakeview, including Lakeview Heights, is bordered by two pieces of WFN land and the
lake, and contains many large rural lots. This area has a Kelowna address, and is a
bedroom community. An industrial park, Mount Boucherie recreational centre and the
high school are located here. The area is central to the Westside.
Again, most residents
shop in Kelowna.

· West Kelowna Estates was identified as a separate area, perhaps together with Rose
Valley, although some felt it would be included in Lakeview.

· Community plans are in place for Westbank and Lakeview, and are in the process of
being melded together. These would be a great information source for the Committee.

· Westbank, Glenrosa and Shannon Lake seem to be a good fit, although each
neighbourhood does have its separate issues.

· The industrial area should be included as a distinct entity as well.

· While some areas may seem to be distinct, there is also interaction/migration between
areas as issues arise and children attend schools in other areas. Different residents may
have different views on their community affiliation within the larger Westside.

The particulars on the community of Westbank, as per BCstats and Stats Can is:
http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/DATA/POP/georef/places2003n.asp
BC STATS' translation of Placenames into Statistics Canada Standard Geographic Codes (SGC)

PLACE NAME Westbank | DEVELOPMENT REGION Thompson Okanagan
Total population of Westbank for 2006 census is 3,930 (as of May 16, 2006)
The area of the community of Westbank is: square kilometres 51.7409

To use Copper's words... some people need to suck that up and move on.

I am not endorsing Ms. Mandarino in any way.
Personally I think based on Ms. Mandarino's history she, more than any other candidate, will bring gridlock to council.
However, I do support her holding council's feet to the fire from arms length of the Westside Res. Association.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
waterskirick

Post by waterskirick »

I've sent this to all candidates. A yes or no answer will do.

I'd like to vote for someone with a little spine. Our mayor has stated (unlike all other cadidates) that she will only support a new name that has shown more than 50% support from the whole community. A new name will not help unify us if it only has 30% or 35% support. We need a majority, and if we don't get that, then some kind of run off until we do.

So far I have only one candidate to vote for, Neis for councillor. I'll vote for others only if they show leadership and commit to a 50 + 1% requirement for a new name. Will you commit to this?
p2malone

Post by p2malone »

Hello, I am undecided about which candidates to vote for in the upcoming election, so I am sending out a question for all. We have lived here just a short time (8 months) and my family and I are horrified with the amount of crime and drugs that Kelowna /Westside has. Both places are getting a very bad reputation for high criminal activity and I strongly believe that something needs to be done about it. The name of the Westside does not have very much importance when the world is referring to it as Crack Alley, Drug City, Meth. Meadows, etc...... These are just a few names that I have heard in other provinces, when referring to Kelowna and the Westside. My question.......if you are voted in will you support a increase in policing? Thank you in advance.
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Hello Bestside,

with your permission I would like to add a few words to your opinions to which you are truly entitled in this beautiful democracy in which we live!!

I filed my election papers on the last day, October 10, 2008.

I did not do this by design.

I am not the malevolent person that some people wish to portray me.

The reason I filed my papers THIS time around was to ensure a voice for ALL citizens who live on the Westside. You may ask me "why do you think it encumbent upon you, Mary Mandarino, to do this?"

For 24+ hours I was considered to be elected until a reporting error was discovered by RDCO. THIS matter I will address in a seperate post.

After the error was discovered I was 64 votes short of a council seat in last year's election.

During the winter of 2007 and into early spring of 2008 I attended every council meeting. FYI, the ONLY council candidate that did so.

I observed council motions, discussions and decisions too often with a 5/2 majority.

Council voted NOT to establish a citizens advisory committee ( motion by Neis and Pilling): they also voted NOT to accept the recommendations of a naming committee that they, THE COUNCIL, had formed and whose composition they approved . A committee of VOLUNTEERS who representated ALL areas of the Westside.

BACK to the WHY I filed my papers.

When Heather Pilling resigned she did so for a reason. Remember she had NOTHING to gain by her action. In fact some might say she had a lot too loose by doing so.

Her resignation alerted ALL residents of the Westside that decisions were being made behind closed doors.

Decisions for which YOU the taxpayers were going to pay the cost.

The Community Charter, Section 90, is very CLEAR as to which matters MUST vs. MAY be discussed behind closed doors.

Heather Pilling did a great service to ALL citizens of the Westside when she alerted residents to this matter.

That is the sole reason I filed my papers to run for a council postion in this election... to ensure that there is a voice for ALL residents of the Westside.

Regards from Mary Mandarino
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Hello waterskirick,

here is an account of the history that I have researched on the Westside and name.

What’s In a Name?

In her book “A Bit of Okanagan History” Dorothy Hewlett Gellatly states that the known history of the west-side goes back to 1811.

It was 1870 that the Okanagan stopping place, MacDonald’s Plain and environs were unwittingly re-christened , by Susan Moir Allison. Sunnyside thus became the second name of the west-side.

The next settlers homesteaded at a little lake and called the area Shannon. It was at this location that the first post office was established on May 1, 1902. Mr. Shannon Marshall was the first postmaster.

At this time Westside was the common name used by the early settlers. Thus Westside is considered the third name.

The first school was opened in 1897 to serve students in the Shannon Lake area.

There we no settlers in the area that today is called Westbank.

Mr. George W. Hall was the first school master. He later partnered with Mr. Shannon Marshall. They grew grain and established a wharf named Hall’s Landing. This became the fourth name of the west-side community.

This name was still in use in 1910 when Dorothy Hewlett Gellatly’s family arrived.

She reports” in those days Westbank didn’t offer much of anything, really, and certainly few conveniences, while a glance over the area did not present much in the way of homes either.” Her family travelled by team and democrat, driven by Mr. Lou Hitchner along winding roads to “the dreary waste that was Westbank.” (page 10.) where they had expected to find a settlement and a home.

Robert Goldie pre-empted land in the area, that today is known as Westbank, where he planned to plant an orchard.

Newspaper reports from the time of the early settlements indicate that telephone exchanges were set up throughout the valley from Salmon Arm to Peachland.

Westbank, however, did not receive general telephone service until a quarter of a century later. Sometime in the 1930’s.

It was 1939 before electric power was available in Westbank.

According to the book by Dorothy Hewlett Gellatly the area was first called MacDonald’s Plain, then Sunnyside, next Westside, then Hall’s Landing.

Gellatly B.C. is also a name that was in use during the early days on the Westside.

The fifth name to be added was Westbank.
steren
Board Meister

Post by steren »

This is a subject that I don't think that the area as a whole has thought about. We talk about a unifying name, Mary. Right now we have 70% of the entire westside relating to the name Westbank. I am including the approximately 9,000 non native residents living on native land. Their name is going to remain Westbank, B.C. The areas that have the V4T prefex will remain Westbank, B.C. That number is approximately 12-13,000 residents. That leaves about one third of our entire population that will actually identify with the name West Kelowna-- if it is the winner on Nov. 15th--the rest will identify with the name Westbank. If The name West Kelowna wins--we will have the schools in this area--especially the Constable Neil Bruce middle school and Mt. Boucherie High School with --the Westbank kids and the West Kelowna kids. I know that when my four children attended school in this area there was a definite distinction between the Westbank kids and the Boucherie kids. With the name West Kelowna as our name will this be a problem? The Westbank First Nations will not change their name--if Westbank is not used as an all encompassing name--there will remain the definite distiction between the two groups. That in itself is something that I don't feel is unifying--and is it good for the kids? Do you think that perhaps one name would be more logical? We already have Rose Valley--overflowing (6 portables) because parents are driving their children from all over this area to attend this school --while Chief Tomat has few students. I have grandchildren in both schools and I think both are equal. What are your thoughts on this issue?
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

Westbank OR West Kelowna will NEVER be a unifying name.

Because of the WESTBANK lobbyists, WEST KELOWNA lobbyists are now coming out in force.

From my understanding of Mary's platform, and correct me if I am wrong Mary, that Mary stands for ALL across the Westside - from Casa Loma to Glenrosa, regardless if we are West Kelowna or whatever, unlike some candidates (read: current incumbents) who listen only to Westbank voices.

I actually have hope that with the new council this ballot will be thrown out completely as being invalid. What do you think about that Mary?
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
steren
Board Meister

Post by steren »

hereiamagain wrote:Westbank OR West Kelowna will NEVER be a unifying name.

Because of the WESTBANK lobbyists, WEST KELOWNA lobbyists are now coming out in force.

From my understanding of Mary's platform, and correct me if I am wrong Mary, that Mary stands for ALL across the Westside - from Casa Loma to Glenrosa, regardless if we are West Kelowna or whatever, unlike some candidates (read: current incumbents) who listen only to Westbank voices.

I actually have hope that with the new council this ballot will be thrown out completely as being invalid. What do you think about that Mary?

I don't really care if the WEST KELOWNA lobbyists are out in full force. My concern is the students in this area.
70 % of the entire westside relates to the name "Westbank". I am including the WFN ( they are our neighbours and our friends--their children attend the same schools as the rest of the area. My question is: if we have a new name--we will have in our schools the devisive name factor? The Westbank kids and the West Kelowna kids. Is that unifying--is it good for our young people? If the name Westbank is chosen there will be absolutely no divisive name factor--everyone will be equal. We would all have the same name to identify with and with teenage kids that is very important. The more continuity in our community and respect for each other ---the better for our entire area.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

steren, you have a legit concern about students, however, what assurance does anyone have that the WFN doesn’t decide to change their name to a more appropriate (for them) name descriptive of their native roots either tomorrow or the next day? The WFN are not subservient to the municipality of Westside. They could change their name whenever they wish and to whatever name they would be most comfortable with --- and if they wanted to do that they would not be going through the long consultation process that we are struggling with.

We should probably make up our minds about our name without worrying about what name the WFN eventually decides to use in the future.
the_zipper
Board Meister

Post by the_zipper »

mary mandarino wrote:Hello waterskirick,

here is an account of the history that I have researched on the Westside and name.

What’s In a Name?

In her book “A Bit of Okanagan History” Dorothy Hewlett Gellatly states that the known history of the west-side goes back to 1811.

It was 1870 that the Okanagan stopping place, MacDonald’s Plain and environs were unwittingly re-christened , by Susan Moir Allison. Sunnyside thus became the second name of the west-side.

The next settlers homesteaded at a little lake and called the area Shannon. It was at this location that the first post office was established on May 1, 1902. Mr. Shannon Marshall was the first postmaster.

At this time Westside was the common name used by the early settlers. Thus Westside is considered the third name.

The first school was opened in 1897 to serve students in the Shannon Lake area.

There we no settlers in the area that today is called Westbank

Really Mary? When was the Goldie residence built?

Mr. George W. Hall was the first school master. He later partnered with Mr. Shannon Marshall. They grew grain and established a wharf named Hall’s Landing. This became the fourth name of the west-side community.

This name was still in use in 1910 when Dorothy Hewlett Gellatly’s family arrived.

She reports” in those days Westbank didn’t offer much of anything, really, and certainly few conveniences, while a glance over the area did not present much in the way of homes either.” Her family travelled by team and democrat, driven by Mr. Lou Hitchner along winding roads to “the dreary waste that was Westbank.” (page 10.) where they had expected to find a settlement and a home.

Robert Goldie pre-empted land in the area, that today is known as Westbank, where he planned to plant an orchard.

What was the date the Goldie's house was built and was there any houses built before it?
Newspaper reports from the time of the early settlements indicate that telephone exchanges were set up throughout the valley from Salmon Arm to Peachland.

Westbank, however, did not receive general telephone service until a quarter of a century later. Sometime in the 1930’s.

It was 1939 before electric power was available in Westbank.

According to the book by Dorothy Hewlett Gellatly the area was first called MacDonald’s Plain, then Sunnyside, next Westside, then Hall’s Landing.

Gellatly B.C. is also a name that was in use during the early days on the Westside.

The fifth name to be added was Westbank.
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Good Morning to the_zipper,

According to Dorothy Hewlett Gellatly,

Mr. Goldie's pre- emptionNo.985 was dated 1890. She does not state the date his house was built.

She does state that Mr. Goldie abandoned his pre-emption.

Mrs. Susan Moir Allison was the first white woman to ride the trail from Hope to Similkameen.

In 1872 Mrs. Allison was the first white woman to homestead on the west-side,

her daughter Louisa was the first white child born on the west-side January 2.

According to this historical report it appears that Sunnyside was settled many years before Mr. Goldie pre-empted land that today is called Westbank.

If you have infromation that states otherwise, we would all be happy to hear it.

mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Good Morning hereiamagain,

In my opinion due process was not followed by council in respect to how they treated the naming committee.

The wise thing for the newly elected council to do would be to review the naming issue.

It is obviously causing polarization in our community.

I truly would like to see our westside community unite and work towards building a strong, healthy and sustainable community.

Citizen committees that include representation from ALL neighbourhoods is a way of uniting our community.

That would be my top priority.

steren
Board Meister

Post by steren »

Hi Mary, you neglected to answer my post--I have two posts with concerns about the middle school and high school students and how having two distinct names "Westbank and West Kelowna" will affect them if the name West Kelowna wins. Do you think it will create problems?
mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Good Morning steren,

I do not fully understand your question.

We have Glenrosa Middle School and Constible Neil Bruce Middle School. Then we have Mt. Boucherie Secondary School.

These schools are already named and these names will not change.

Please clarify for me what you are meaning in your question. Thank you.

mary mandarino

Post by mary mandarino »

Good Morning pdellerton,

I have requested information from the Westside Finance department regarding cost of police officers.

When I have that infromation I will share it with you and answer your question.

Return to “Westside”