For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

tangledweb
Posts: 5
Joined: Nov 8th, 2008, 1:27 am

For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by tangledweb »

If you stood for election last year, please will you share with us the names of your top two financial supporters in that election.
Thanks for your time
User avatar
hereiamagain
Übergod
Posts: 1254
Joined: Aug 13th, 2007, 8:24 pm

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by hereiamagain »

I'm waiting to hear too. Jim Dixon has already said Visa and Mastercard lol!
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
User avatar
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 859
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 9:19 am

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by Jim Dixon »

tangledweb wrote:If you stood for election last year, please will you share with us the names of your top two financial supporters in that election.
Thanks for your time


Just to add my 8 bits (inflation) to the official question, in all my campaigns; it's true - Visa and Mastercard were my biggest supporters. I've never gone after campaign financing and I seriously doubt you will get very many more responses, especially from those receiving big $'s from developers or WFN members.

Jim
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
User avatar
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 859
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 9:19 am

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by Jim Dixon »

I'm assuming that of the 36 reads (at present) some of the candidates read the question.

IMHO, knowing who are the biggest backers tells a lot as to where a candidates loyalties, vision - may lay.

As a voter, I pay particular attention to who received what from whom (last election) and answers to posts such as this one. I assume the other candidates and incumbents disagree and must feel it important to keep quiet who is buying their campaign for them.

Keeping mum on it now, I wonder just how open and transparent our candidates will be if elected.

Jim
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
rosalind neis
Posts: 40
Joined: Oct 9th, 2007, 9:46 am

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by rosalind neis »

Re: financial support -

I will share with you that I had 11 financial supporters last year. Three of them were corporations leaving eight individual donations. The largest sum was $500 (individual), the smallest $100, for a grand total of $2248. All three corporate donations were in the amounts of $100.00

Because people on this forum go by aliases - I do not think it would be right for me to print the names of these 11 contributors on this page - but they are available for public viewing - or by contacting me at my office - 250-707-2999.

As Mr. Dixon is aware, however many of you many not be - campaign financing disclosure statements are public documents and can be viewed at any time. Last years would be at the RDCO and this years will be available from the District of Westside office. I am certain that he received some donations and a candidates personal donations (in my opinion) are not the same as contributor’s donations. So the visa and mastercard answer is not really an answer, but it is humorous.

Many of you may notice that I do not have any signage around town. That is because I am choose to run on my performance this time, not on the biggest, or the greatest number of ads. I would like to think that most people know what they are getting if they vote for me. Straight up talk - I will do what I say - and more important - I will listen to what you say and act on your behalf. I attended the forums and would be happy to answer questions at any time. I have turned down financial donations this year - and will be filling a modest campaign statement for the cost of come print material that I paid for personally. I would like to see incumbents re-elected because of their performance over the past term. I realize it is difficult for new people, and I understand that they need to make a name for themselves. So I do understand the signs etc. in those cases. To each their own, and I wish all the candidates the best.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 828
Joined: Feb 17th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by parachute »

In my opinion Mr. Dixon is quite devious. Some time ago I asked him if the #5 Jim Dixon on the on-line resignation petition requesting Neis to resign was him – he refused to answer.

Now I see that he writes:
Jim Dixon wrote:in all my campaigns; it's true - Visa and Mastercard were my biggest supporters

And
Jim Dixon wrote: I assume the other candidates and incumbents disagree and must feel it important to keep quiet who is buying their campaign for them.

Those statements seem to me to be “slightly holier than thou” but even more to the point is the fact that saying: “Visa and Mastercard were my biggest supporters” gives the impression that his big supporters were his own pocketbook. However, if we read his statement carefully it does NOT say who the signatories of those Visa or Mastercards really were. Mr. Dixon could have said something simple and straightforward like: “I pay almost all my campaign expenses by myself” but he did not write that. He left it up to the reader to decipher what the truth is.

Frankness, openness and transparency do not seem to be front and center for Mr. Dixon.
User avatar
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 859
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 9:19 am

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by Jim Dixon »

parachute wrote:In my opinion Mr. Dixon is quite devious. Some time ago I asked him if the #5 Jim Dixon on the on-line resignation petition requesting Neis to resign was him – he refused to answer.

I answered. I just didn't word it the way you wanted me to.

And since you distrort humor with "devious", so it's more clear for you, I was my biggest contributor - through MY Visa, and MY Mastercard.

Lighten up ; "devious" isn't at every turn and BTW, do have a nice day.

Jim

parachute wrote:Now I see that he writes:
Jim Dixon wrote:in all my campaigns; it's true - Visa and Mastercard were my biggest supporters

And
Jim Dixon wrote: I assume the other candidates and incumbents disagree and must feel it important to keep quiet who is buying their campaign for them.

Those statements seem to me to be “slightly holier than thou” but even more to the point is the fact that saying: “Visa and Mastercard were my biggest supporters” gives the impression that his big supporters were his own pocketbook. However, if we read his statement carefully it does NOT say who the signatories of those Visa or Mastercards really were. Mr. Dixon could have said something simple and straightforward like: “I pay almost all my campaign expenses by myself” but he did not write that. He left it up to the reader to decipher what the truth is.

Frankness, openness and transparency do not seem to be front and center for Mr. Dixon.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 828
Joined: Feb 17th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by parachute »

Thanks Jim. I think?
User avatar
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 859
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 9:19 am

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by Jim Dixon »

parachute wrote:Thanks Jim. I think?


:) You said "Frankness, openness and transparency do not seem to be front and center for Mr. Dixon." and that hit home. I've been told by supports that I'm too frank - too willing to say things others won't. But it was the "...openness and transparancy..." that hurt. I ran about 5 years ago to get on the Governance Committee, and won, and I think it was because I promised I would keep the process open and transparent. And, there were times I rolled up my sleeves - a sign I wasn't going to give up easily - and lobbied to keep the process open to all, and transparent. Some wanted our meetings to be closed to "the public", and just issue press releases. I won.

There was a time when some on the committee felt it was time to drop one of the options from the study (amalgamation), and again, open and transparent, I argued that we didn't have the right to do so, that our mandate was to compare the two options to the status quo and let the voters decide. I stuck to that mandate and when asked questions, I was open, frank and transparent.

I never let anything the consultants put forth without doing some research on it myself. I go to meetings having read my material in advance, asked questions before meetings and never - never played backroom politics.

I hope I have been 'frank', open enough, and transparent.

Jim
250-769-5080
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 828
Joined: Feb 17th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by parachute »

Okay, Jim, I wish to change my previous “I think?” to: “I appreciate what you just said.”

Good luck on Saturday.
User avatar
Bestside
Guru
Posts: 5897
Joined: Apr 29th, 2007, 1:03 am

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by Bestside »

rosalind neis wrote:by rosalind neis on Nov 11th, 2008, 10:11 am
Re: financial support - Many of you may notice that I do not have any signage around town. That is because I am choose to run on my performance this time, not on the biggest, or the greatest number of ads. I would like to think that most people know what they are getting if they vote for me. Straight up talk - I will do what I say - and more important - I will listen to what you say and act on your behalf. I attended the forums and would be happy to answer questions at any time. I have turned down financial donations this year - and will be filling a modest campaign statement for the cost of come print material that I paid for personally. I would like to see incumbents re-elected because of their performance over the past term. I realize it is difficult for new people, and I understand that they need to make a name for themselves. So I do understand the signs etc. in those cases. To each their own, and I wish all the candidates the best.

Regarding your statement " I would like to see incumbents re-elected because of their performance over the past term.", I had to read it twice...
I interpret it to mean I would like to see incumbents re-elected (or not) because of their performance over the past term. Would that be fair?
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 828
Joined: Feb 17th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Re: For all candidates - A question on 2007 Financial supporters

Post by parachute »

Bestside wrote:Would that be fair?

Fair to you? Fair to me? Fair to the excellent incumbents? Fair to the dunderheads seeking a second go at the trough? Fair to those incumbents who disclose very little? Fair to the good candidates? Fair to all the taxpayers?

Let's get out and vote and show everyone what we think "fairness" should be.

Return to “Westside”