District of West Kelowna

swanton

Re: District of West Kelowna

Post by swanton »

it is a sad day for westbank, we have now lost our identity,shame!!!
TECO

Post by TECO »

I am thrilled with the majority vote for West Kelowna. It makes it very obvious who and where we are (kind of like the whole West Van, North Van deal). Way to go fellow "West Kelowna-er's!!"
toru_msb
Fledgling

Post by toru_msb »

swanton wrote:it is a sad day for westbank, we have now lost our identity,shame!!!

By that measure it was lost when the area incorporated as "Westside District Municipality".

If the name of the incorporated entity changes then the big difference in the life of a Westbank'er will be the name on the tax bill.

Rutland never lost it's identity and it was actually amalgamated.

Westbank is not going anywhere.
fairweather
Board Meister

Post by fairweather »

Westbank will always be Westbank. I can't figure out why people think it will lose its identity. Everyone these days is writing books. Surely someone will record al of this mess - it would make darned good reading!
Crying-Angel
Lord of the Board

Post by Crying-Angel »

fairweather wrote:Westbank will always be Westbank. I can't figure out why people think it will lose its identity. Everyone these days is writing books. Surely someone will record al of this mess - it would make darned good reading!

How could anyone even begin to write about this? It being a mess is an understatement!
Even though a lot of the posters are saying that they will accept being West Kelowna....I bet there are a lot of people out there who are very bitter.
Not just because the name Westbank didn't win; but also for the fact that there are people who don't want to be associated with Kelowna at all. And I think that is why people voted for an umbrella name...

There has been a lot of nastiness in the past months, only the future will tell whether or not we will continue to live in a divided community. :smt062
Sometimes the thoughts in
my head actually get out...

This is rarely a good thing
fairweather
Board Meister

Post by fairweather »

It will take a while. When the name is formally changed, the dust will eventually settle. But it will take as long as people want it to take. Same as any other disapointment.
fairweather
Board Meister

Post by fairweather »

Electric Sky - what is your take on why some westbankers are so opposed to Kelowna? Surely everyone has had to go over to work, or for shopping until recently, or to the hospital or cancer center or to the airport or any number of places we don't have here. What is it, anyway?
Crying-Angel
Lord of the Board

Post by Crying-Angel »

fairweather wrote:Electric Sky - what is your take on why some westbankers are so opposed to Kelowna? Surely everyone has had to go over to work, or for shopping until recently, or to the hospital or cancer center or to the airport or any number of places we don't have here. What is it, anyway?

For myself; I consider Kelowna as "the city". I was brought up in Peachland in a time when Save On was an orchard and there was only one highway lane. There was not much until you got to Kelowna (which was a lot different then, too). We went to Kelowna to either go the movie theatre or to the mall. The mall consisting of the one straight stretch between Sears and the Bay. And that was very rare.
I grew up in a very small town, then expanded my horizons by going to George Pringle. That started my liking for Westbank. Now we have been here for almost 20 years. This is my home. This is where I brought up my kids. Where my husband works. Where we shop. Again, this is MY HOME TOWN. And even with the business growth it is still a small town.
If I wanted to live in the City of Kelowna then I would have moved there. Now by calling our community West Kelowna, instead of incorporating, Kelowna should have just expanded it's territory.

We will be looked upon as being just another division of Kelowna, and that saddens me.
Sometimes the thoughts in
my head actually get out...

This is rarely a good thing
fairweather
Board Meister

Post by fairweather »

Thank you Electrik - for your response. I'm really sorry you feel that way and I'm sorry that collectively, we're experiencing these sharp growing pains. I have felt them too, but of course, from a different perpective. None of us got everything we wanted, but we all got some, and I feel it's actually quite fair, in that sense.
brightstar
Fledgling

Post by brightstar »

Hmmm....I wonder how often the people saying that they want nothing to do with Kelowna, actually visit the city. You couldn't possibly have had all your needs met in "Westbank".....did you ever go to Costco, Walmart, Prospera Place, Kelowna Community Theatre, Orchard Park Mall, The Grand (Mt. Boucherie Graduation), tourist attractions, Kelowna General Hospital??? Or did you travel all the way to Penticton instead? I would tend to think that in all the years you've lived in "Westbank", you probably NEEDED Kelowna for something! Perhaps being thankful that you live near a city with so many resources rather than expressing such a dislike for it would be more appropriate.

If you dislike Kelowna that much, then just stay away....the roads will last longer if you don't come, KGH won't be as busy if you don't come, hmmm...restaurants and stores will have shorter line-ups....easier to find parking....etc. etc.....sounds good to me!!!
xcalibur

Re: District of Westside

Post by xcalibur »

Well it does not take a Rocket Scientist to realize that the Westbank name was doomed from the start with the way the question was done. With all the people currently with Kelowna Addresses and all the people that wanted to amalgamate with Kelowna what do you think there choice would have been? HMMMM mostly West Kelowna. For all the rest that wanted to be independent from Kelowna they had 3 names to choose from so thier vote was split and therefore lost on the name.

Had the vote been simply West Kelowna or Westbank there would have been a different outcome. Maybe there should have been also a Kelowna West, and a Kelowna Westside names on the ballot to help spit up that vote as well.

It has nothing to due with the Westsiders being wishy washy on what they want but the fact that the district is divided into those that want to be Kelowna and those that don't it is a very close split. This is exactly the way our first election went there was one candidate for the pro Kelowna'ers and several for the slim majority to divide their votes. In the incoperation vrs amalgamation vote the majority choose to incoperate and distance themselves from Kelowna - no matter how small it was a majority. Since then every vote has had it that the majority would split their vote among several choices, while the minority only had one option. Really who do you think will win in that? So no the majority DO NOT want to be West Kelowna as there were 4175 Votes for names other than Kelowna and 3841 for West Kelowna, That looks to me like a minority in wanting the name to be West Kelowna but because of the way it was set out they dictate to the majority. To be fair it should have been one or the other like the naming committee suggested and a seperate question with other choices.

Return to “Westside”