James Palanio - Council Candidate

Jo
Slot 16

James Palanio - Council Candidate

Post by Jo »

A thread for James Palanio, council candidate.
clthompson

Re: James Palanio - Council Candidate

Post by clthompson »

If you'd like to find out more about James Palanio you can check out the following;
- his websitehttp://jamespalanio.shawwebspace.ca/
- bloghttp://jamespalanio.blogspot.com/
- Facebook Group 'Elect James Palanio For Penticton City Council' http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=28517354889
rmillard

Post by rmillard »

James,

Thank you for running for council. While I have not yet decided who I will be voting for, it's great to have so many people running because I feel that we need some new ideas on council.

I have a couple questions for you.

1. What is your view on (property) tax increases? Have the past increases been necessary? Is there any way that these could be lowered, or would this not be advisable (if so, please explain).

2. Do you support the existing property tax exemption for churches? (I heard a rumor that this was an issue with some candidates.)

Thank you for your responses.

Richard
Penticton
James Palanio

Post by James Palanio »

Thank you for the question, and I apologize for the delay in responding.

I feel increasing property taxes is counter productive to creating a vibrant community. Increasing taxes does not attract residents or businesses to a community, providing basic needs and providing more services does.
We must increase efficiency at city hall thereby creating better value for our dollars. We then need to look at our community’s needs and wants and prioritize them. If we can save money through efficiency that money can be directed to community needs, thereby reducing the need to increase taxes. If we can not meet our needs or the wants become “must have’s” then we need to re-evaluate our current financial position and decide on the best approach to meet our needs and wants.
In regards to lowering taxes, I would see that as unlikely. If we were able to provide all services the community wants in an efficient manner and we’re able to do this with a budget surplus, I would keep that surplus for the future, based on current economic forecasts, we may need it.

Regarding your question on the tax exemption for churches. I would not change that. Churches provide many services to the community, and we need not hinder those services by increasing their costs.

Thank you
James Palanio
rmillard

Post by rmillard »

Thanks for your reply James.
James Palanio

Post by James Palanio »

Hello all,

James Palanio here.

Please go to my shaw website and my bio and position on some issues, its at http://jamespalanio.shawwebspace.ca . It will updated regularly so check it out every now and then.

AND most importantly, get out and vote. Please do your part to help make Penticton a better community. And of course, I would appreciate your vote on Nov. 15 and would be honored to be a Penticton city Councillor.

James Palanio
James Palanio

Post by James Palanio »

Hello all,
Just a reminder of the debates on tonight ( school trustee ), tommorrow (councillors ) and Thursday night (mayor). All debates start at 7:00pm at the Trade & Convention Centre

James Palanio
CCCMLS

Post by CCCMLS »

Hi James,
Some quick questions for you. One of the ongoing issues in Penticton seems to be around development and growth. Seeing the recent problems just up the road in Summerland with water and sewer, how do you see Penticton's current ammenitites in comparison? Do we have the capacity? How much growth can we sustain? How do you view growth vs. our OCP? Affordable housing also seems to be a concern. Where do you feel this fits in with ongoing development?
Thanks.
James Palanio

Post by James Palanio »

Thank you for the question.

Development can be a positive part of our city’s future, but it must be done correctly to ensure Penticton grows responsibly, so that our next generation can enjoy what we have already enjoyed. We need a sustainability study that would encompass factors such as water availability, the cities infrastructure including both sewage and water filtration systems, our cities safety concerns like firefighting and policing staffing policies. Other concerns beyond the municipals level of control are things like our hospitals abilities to manage our population. Once we have the study, we then know what our sustainable population is, and work backwards from there to plan our growth.
Regarding the OCP, it took years to complete, I feel we should follow it. Densification is good, but we need a mix of all types of housing
I feel we absolutely need more affordable housing. The city should be a partner with other levels of government, developers, and service groups in a plan that stimulates the creation of affordable housing. Perhaps a plan that includes the use of underutilized current publicly or privately owned properties could be included. Identify properties that could be “reborn” as part of the plan to create affordable housing. In addition, any plan must include a mixture of town homes, single-family homes, and condominiums. We must meet the needs of all types of families.

James Palanio
clthompson

Post by clthompson »

Try out the short election survey on James Palanio's blog http://jamespalanio.blogspot.com/2008/11/loading.html
James Palanio

Post by James Palanio »

I will be at Cherry Lane Mall on Friday Nov. 7 from 2 until 8:00 and again on Sunday from 11 until 3:00.
Please come down and chat.

James
James Palanio

Post by James Palanio »

Please get out and vote on Saturday, and please encourage everyone else to do the same.
Voting times are between 8 am and 8 pm at either The Penticton Convention Centre ( The Peach Bowl) or Princess Margaret School on Green ave.

Lets exercise our right to vote

James Palanio

Return to “Penticton”