Campbell has to go..

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Campbell has to go..

Post by NAB »

Campbell has to go..

Meet da Main Man...

Premier Campbell was Mayor of Vancouver for three successive terms from 1986 to 1993. Prior to that, he was a developer. He served for two years under CUSO as a secondary school teacher in Nigeria, Africa. Premier Campbell is married to wife Nancy, a high school principal, they have two sons.

In June 2001, Gordon Campbell was sworn in as British Columbia’s 34th premier, with the largest majority in B.C. history. He was re-elected in May 2005, making him the first premier in 22 years – and only the fifth in B.C. history – to be elected to two consecutive terms.

Gordon attended public school in Vancouver. After graduating he received a scholarship to Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. He worked his way through university in the dining hall and as the associate to the secretary of the college, and received his bachelor of arts degree. He later received a master's of business administration from Simon Fraser University.

He was a secondary school teacher, basketball and track coach in Yola, Nigeria, working under the auspices of CUSO. He then became an assistant to former Vancouver mayor Art Phillips. From 1976 to 1981, he worked with Marathon Realty, where he became general manager of development. In 1981, he founded Citycore Development Corporation.

Gordo needs to be scared, very scared. In the 2005 election in Vancouver-Point Grey riding, he won over NDP candidate Mel Lehan (who the hell is Mel Lehan?) by only 2200 votes or so with only 46% of the popular vote. That was down from 56% of the popular vote in 2001, indicating to me even his own riding is struggling with his performance.

Campbell's riding of Vancouver - Point Grey has a very strong fundamental NDP leaning, and if anyone can offer them a candidate who makes sense other than Campbell, he would lose it in a heartbeat IMO.

The question is, are the voters of Vancouver - Point Grey up to the task of thinking province wide rather than just their own self centred interests, and sending Gordon Campbell to the boneyard?

I call on the voters of Vancouver - Point Grey to do their utmost to help BC rid ourselves of this Premier.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
usquebaugh
Guru
Posts: 8984
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by usquebaugh »

:134: :134: :134: :134: :rate10:

Oh, I hope they remove him from his riding, too! :)

Let us never forget that he should have resigned AGES ago:

Image
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Nebula »

Shall we dig up all the NDP disappointments over the years also?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3922
Joined: Nov 8th, 2007, 8:16 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by grumpydigger »

no matter what party is in power in bc they get out of control just like Gordo... he did not bring prosperity to bc he just road the wave of the north American economy , lets see how smart he is now..........
User avatar
BoB76
Guru
Posts: 7098
Joined: Nov 26th, 2007, 6:01 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by BoB76 »

And who do you guys want as a premier? A woman??? :coffeecanuck:

I mean that stupid woman!!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by NAB »

writerdave wrote:Shall we dig up all the NDP disappointments over the years also?


Go fer it WD, I'ld really like to hear more from you than just one or two liners. But you might like to review some of the other threads first, particularly those Al Czervic is posting in, so you can add something new if you can.

Better yet, maybe you can make a thorough case as to why Campbell should stay from your perspective? But then again look at Al Czervics posts so it can be something new.

Just to be clear, I'm not against the Liberals per se, but rather that I think they need a much more competent leader, instead of someone who leads from the rear.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Nebula »

First, my one-liner as you call it was directed at ndp_supporter's posting of Campbell's drunk driving arrest picture.

Second, it's too bad you don't like one-liners. Sometimes that's all it takes, as opposed to writing chapters when paragraphs would do.

Third, I never said Campbell should stay.

Fourth (and last) what does your original post in this thread have anything to do with Gordon Campbell must go? Really, what does his education and background have to do with the topic? You didn't give one reason why he should go.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
usquebaugh
Guru
Posts: 8984
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by usquebaugh »

writerdave wrote:First, my one-liner as you call it was directed at ndp_supporter's posting of Campbell's drunk driving arrest picture.


Heehee. Sorry, I just can't resist... he looks so damn sorry (that he was caught!).
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Nebula »

I know you couldn't. I'll give it a :rate7: on the Oh For Pete's Sake Scale.

Anyway, hopefully someone will post something on this thread relating to why Mr. Campbell should go.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by NAB »

writerdave wrote:First, my one-liner as you call it was directed at ndp_supporter's posting of Campbell's drunk driving arrest picture.

Second, it's too bad you don't like one-liners. Sometimes that's all it takes, as opposed to writing chapters when paragraphs would do.

Third, I never said Campbell should stay.

Fourth (and last) what does your original post in this thread have anything to do with Gordon Campbell must go? Really, what does his education and background have to do with the topic? You didn't give one reason why he should go.


Well WD, you may think one liners is all it takes, but in discussion it doesn't mean much.

I guess I assumed to much in opening this thread and making my OP, that readers/posters here might just be paying attention to other topics in these forums.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
usquebaugh
Guru
Posts: 8984
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by usquebaugh »

writerdave wrote:I know you couldn't. I'll give it a :rate7: on the Oh For Pete's Sake Scale.

Anyway, hopefully someone will post something on this thread relating to why Mr. Campbell should go.


Oh, I thought the criminal record related to the drunk driving was more than enough, but if you want a "real" reason, why don't we talk about the illegality of Bill 29!! That was some piece of work, wasn't it?

Or those HUGE pensions they handed themselves?!

Or the shameful Bill 42, limiting the amount of money spent on third-party advertising prior to the next election? Oh, sure they've scaled it back from a 5-month limit to 3-months, but I still say it's bollocks. Wouldn't want people to be advertising the Libs' record.... they might find themselves un-elected!
Last edited by usquebaugh on Jul 17th, 2008, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Nebula »

So what you're saying, Nab, is you expect forum members to dig through a bunch of other threads (would have to be a bunch, since you haven't specified which ones) to find out why you and/or others think Mr. Campbell should go.

I'm sorry. What is the point of this thread?

(Note: This post contains more than one line.)
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by steven lloyd »

writerdave wrote:Shall we dig up all the NDP disappointments over the years also?


We could dig up countless disappointments for any political party that has ever ruled anywhere at anytime. In democratic society, those disappointments are often “discovered” after power changes hands, or by more conspiratorial means leading up to elections. It is indeed unfortunate, but in our world, a select few with a great deal of money can quietly cause a significant shift in public opinion without hardly anyone noticing. Oh, people notice the shift in opinion, its just that they don’t recognize the real cause of that shift. In a world so addicted to and dependent on media, it’s both amazing and sad how so many people don’t recognize the impact media has on their own opinion and how their opinion is so easily (but expertly and subtly) manipulated (eg. only showing the guy with spiked and orange colored hair and pierced lips at protests).

Even if we want to allege the NDP were representing the interests of their own special interest groups (like every political party in a representative democracy such as exists outside any true social democracy), at least they were ultimately representing a larger and more “average” group (ie. blue collar workers and middle class professionals) than the selective minority (ie. very wealthy) currently being represented, and tried to introduce proactive policies that would have ultimately saved us hundreds of millions when we now consider the money we now need to spend on extra policing and new prisons, etc.
Last edited by steven lloyd on Jul 17th, 2008, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by steven lloyd »

writerdave wrote:Anyway, hopefully someone will post something on this thread relating to why Mr. Campbell should go.


Best reason I got is he is a criminal (and I’m not talking about his driving drunk – although that is a criminal offence). He is screwing (expertly I grant) and defrauding the average person in this province for the benefit of a select few. I know it may come as a shock to some, but people do try to make a living outside the boundaries of the lower mainland and the Okanagan (even though many people in those regions are getting screwed too) and people are literally losing their homes and even their lives because of what he’s done. I’m not going to elaborate on that point too much here for two reasons. First, this has been discussed ad nauseum on other threads, and second – you say you’re a journalist Dave? I would like to presume you are well informed on these many issues.

Anyways, it’s into the office early for me again tomorrow. Good night. :sleepdeprived:
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by NAB »

writerdave wrote:So what you're saying, Nab, is you expect forum members to dig through a bunch of other threads (would have to be a bunch, since you haven't specified which ones) to find out why you and/or others think Mr. Campbell should go.

I'm sorry. What is the point of this thread?

(Note: This post contains more than one line.)


I appreciate more than one line WD LOL. And of course I expect someone who wishes to comment on a topic to at least make an effort to acquire some knowledge about the issues we face as they may relate to the topic. Whether from among the forums and threads here, or from taking the time to research elsewhere.

I provided Premier Campbell's background and riding information as a basis for reference for those who might need to know that vital information. No one in my experience gets "hired" without that info.

As you may gather, I am personally not that impressed with him (I don't trust him), but that is MY viewpoint only. But I think BC (and the Liberal Party) could do much better.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”