Campbell has to go..

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
Posts: 64744
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Queen K »

Insert the name of almost any Premier from British Columbia and you have a flake.
Want your bags of leaves gone? Put a "free" sign on them out by the road so people can grab them.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33661
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Glacier »

steven lloyd wrote:Mair unloads on power boss
Published: December 02, 2008 11:00 PM

This is in response to a recent letter from provincial energy minister Richard Neufeld concerning my opinions about the future of power production in B.C.

It has been forbidden by Mr. Neufeld’s government to bring on new sources of energy with that privilege now given exclusively to the private sector
...

Rafe Mair,
Vancouver, B.C.

Excellent article, Steven. I have a lot of respect for Rafe Mair's straight talk. He has proved time and time again the hypocrisy of Campbell's environmental record. Sadly, many environmentalists have taken the bate because he has endorsed carbon taxes, but the government's stance on other (more pressing) environmental issues is nuts. Fish farms being the most glaring one.

As far as Hydro, I cannot even go here without raising my blood pressure. I work in the industry and I can tell you many engineers and technologists working at or with BC Hydro have told me (off the record) the government is screwing up big time. It is truly said that a province with the potential has to import 15% of the power we produce. In a few years it will be more like 25 to 30%. Instead of BC Hydro making a healthy profit by producing electricity for 1 cent and selling for 6 or 7, they have to buy from IPPs for 8 and sell for 6 or 7. They can make a profit for now because they buy from Alberta at night for 3 cents and sell back in the day for over 10 cents, but with increased domestic demand this will not be sustainable forever. Without any planning to meet the growing electricity needs, BC Hydro and its shareholders (you and I) are losing.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by steven lloyd »

Thanks receding. In addition to this fiasco, what really enrages me is the slow and methodical sell-off of all our once publicly owned resources. While the profits earned from these resources once provided money to our public coffers, more and more we will be paying foreign interests for the benefits realized from these resources and the money will leave the province as will our control. I wonder who’s paying Campbell off for all this? The province is being sold off from right under our feet and still people vote for this criminal regime.
OREZ
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Dec 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by OREZ »

steven lloyd wrote: what really enrages me is the slow and methodical sell-off of all our once publicly owned resources. While the profits earned from these resources once provided money to our public coffers, more and more we will be paying foreign interests for the benefits realized from these resources and the money will leave the province as will our control. I wonder who’s paying Campbell off for all this? The province is being sold off from right under our feet and still people vote for this criminal regime.


Haven't you heard, Steven? Privatization is our friend, the "free market" will always sort everything out. Big business is always better, even if it's foreign owned. Don't you watch the financial news? Look how well big business sorts themselves out. Behold the balance, the symmetry, the...equilibrium it creates for all of us to enjoy.
:9923:
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Al Czervic »

steven lloyd wrote:Thanks receding. In addition to this fiasco, what really enrages me is the slow and methodical sell-off of all our once publicly owned resources. While the profits earned from these resources once provided money to our public coffers, more and more we will be paying foreign interests for the benefits realized from these resources and the money will leave the province as will our control. I wonder who’s paying Campbell off for all this? The province is being sold off from right under our feet and still people vote for this criminal regime.


I guess the question that I would have is what are you suggesting? At the moment our crown resources are available to the highest bidder. There is nothing that precludes any BC company from being the highest bidder and certainly in some cases BC companies do win out.

Are you suggesting that only bids from BC companies should be accepted? And if so; how do you make up for the loss of revenues?

Given that BC personal income taxes, PST collected and MSP collected combined do not even cover our over $ 13 Billion dollar Health Care costs (that actually increase each and every year contrary to what the special interest groups will try and tell you) we actually depend on the sale of our crown resources to cover everything else.

If we loose the ability to sell to the highest bidder; where or more importantly how will we make up for the lost revenue? It’s all well and good to tell all of those foreign nationals we do not want their money being invested here in BC but where will it come from ?
Back with a vengeance
User avatar
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10410
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 8:55 am

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Smurf »

Al what happens when they are all sold off and we have nothing left. We will have also lost all the income we have from sources like Hydro. Are we not then in a worse postion? We are at the mercy of private indusrty. Have you looked at Hydro prices in the US lately when private indusrty controls them. I also feel it is a big mistake. All it does it make Campbell look good for the moment.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
User avatar
usquebaugh
Guru
Posts: 8984
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by usquebaugh »

Al You also don't take into account that money is not always spent wisely in our health care system. I've seen some pretty wasteful spending on the part of bureaucrats, who don't consider the needs of patients and those who work in our health care system. These desk jockeys allocate funds without the proper knowledge for what is truly needed.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Al Czervic »

Smurf wrote:Al what happens when they are all sold off and we have nothing left. We will have also lost all the income we have from sources like Hydro. Are we not then in a worse postion? We are at the mercy of private indusrty. Have you looked at Hydro prices in the US lately when private indusrty controls them. I also feel it is a big mistake. All it does it make Campbell look good for the moment.


If you look at most crown royalties sales; they are basically all leases for the most part. The company in question bid’s to process crown resources and we taxpayers get the “royalties” from the highest bidder. Once the term is up typically these leases either end up back in another resource sale; or they can re-negotiate another term.

As far as Hydro is concerned BC Hydro is not going anywhere in spite of special interest groups trying to claim otherwise. Yes BC Hydro has possibly lost a very small portion of its massive union dominated monopoly and there will now be some competition to provide power via run of the river projects but in the grand scheme of things it will be small potatoes.

Like it or not every type of power generation project will have some form of environmental consequences. However do we keep exporting coal burned power from Alberta ? (which btw also comes form private companies) or do we produce power right here in BC ?
Back with a vengeance
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Al Czervic »

iphtheme wrote:Al You also don't take into account that money is not always spent wisely in our health care system. I've seen some pretty wasteful spending on the part of bureaucrats, who don't consider the needs of patients and those who work in our health care system. These desk jockeys allocate funds without the proper knowledge for what is truly needed.


I agree. I have never disputed that money in Health Care could be better spent; or that wasteful decisions have been made. But keep in mind some special interest groups will try and tell you that paying someone $ 30/hr to clean toilet bowls is somehow “helping” healthcare and I do not agree with those suggestions either.

What I have disputed is BS claims (often from you) that suggest there have been spending cuts to health care when in fact we taxpayers continue to put records amounts of our tax dollars into the never ending hole that us BC healthcare.

I have also often pointed to the critical shortage of doctors and nurses – a situation that was created by your friends in the NDP and we are today still trying to play catch up to try and resolve.
Back with a vengeance
User avatar
usquebaugh
Guru
Posts: 8984
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by usquebaugh »

And I don't buy the Liberal lies that a shortage of nurses and doctors is the fault of the NDP.

In fact, it was the Liberals who lifted the tuition freeze in this province, which only makse it more difficult for people to earn the degrees necessary to continue on with nursing and medical school.
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33661
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Glacier »

iphtheme wrote:And I don't buy the Liberal lies that a shortage of nurses and doctors is the fault of the NDP.

In fact, it was the Liberals who lifted the tuition freeze in this province, which only makse it more difficult for people to earn the degrees necessary to continue on with nursing and medical school.

Not really, because with the freeze in place Universities couldn't offer more spaces because they didn't have the funds.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Al Czervic »

recedingglacier wrote:
iphtheme wrote:And I don't buy the Liberal lies that a shortage of nurses and doctors is the fault of the NDP.

In fact, it was the Liberals who lifted the tuition freeze in this province, which only makse it more difficult for people to earn the degrees necessary to continue on with nursing and medical school.

Not really, because with the freeze in place Universities couldn't offer more spaces because they didn't have the funds.


Precisely. And in fact BC post secondary enrollment began to decline as a result. “Freezing” tuition rates might have been politically popular for the NDP; however starving academic institutions of the funds they need to develop new courses in demand only results in fewer new programs; fewer seats; and ultimately declining enrollment.

If you cannot believe that the NDP did not create the current doctor shortage than simply look up the UBC Faculty of Medicine and just look at how many new seats the NDP added in 10 years. The answer is Zero! Not one.

The shameful fact is that there were 120 first-year medical training spaces at the UBC Faculty of Medicine in 1991 and 120 in 2001. The NDP did nothing to address the looming doctor shortage in a decade. Nothing. A complete pathetic record by the NDP. NOTHING DONE !
Back with a vengeance
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by steven lloyd »

Al Czervic wrote: I guess the question that I would have is what are you suggesting? At the moment our crown resources are available to the highest bidder. There is nothing that precludes any BC company from being the highest bidder and certainly in some cases BC companies do win out. Are you suggesting that only bids from BC companies should be accepted? And if so; how do you make up for the loss of revenues?


No Al, What I’m suggesting is that control of our public resources (eg. hydro) remain in the control of the public (ie. government accountable to the electorate) and that profit go into public coffers to fund infrastructure spending, social spending, health, etc. I would make up for the loss of lease revenue by profits earned and these profits would in essence be returned to the people of the province instead of shareholders in another country. Just as important, we would still control our resources and be in control of resource management.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by steven lloyd »

OREZ wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: what really enrages me is the slow and methodical sell-off of all our once publicly owned resources. While the profits earned from these resources once provided money to our public coffers, more and more we will be paying foreign interests for the benefits realized from these resources and the money will leave the province as will our control. I wonder who’s paying Campbell off for all this? The province is being sold off from right under our feet and still people vote for this criminal regime.


Haven't you heard, Steven? Privatization is our friend, the "free market" will always sort everything out. Big business is always better, even if it's foreign owned. Don't you watch the financial news? Look how well big business sorts themselves out. Behold the balance, the symmetry, the...equilibrium it creates for all of us to enjoy.
:9923:


:dyinglaughing: I know. That's what they told us in first year economics. Then they spent the second, third and fourth year showing us the reality of the imaginary "free-market".
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Campbell has to go..

Post by Al Czervic »

steven lloyd wrote:
Al Czervic wrote: I guess the question that I would have is what are you suggesting? At the moment our crown resources are available to the highest bidder. There is nothing that precludes any BC company from being the highest bidder and certainly in some cases BC companies do win out. Are you suggesting that only bids from BC companies should be accepted? And if so; how do you make up for the loss of revenues?


No Al, What I’m suggesting is that control of our public resources (eg. hydro) remain in the control of the public (ie. government accountable to the electorate) and that profit go into public coffers to fund infrastructure spending, social spending, health, etc. I would make up for the loss of lease revenue by profits earned and these profits would in essence be returned to the people of the province instead of shareholders in another country. Just as important, we would still control our resources and be in control of resource management.


I understand what you are suggesting; however BC Hydro is not going anywhere; and in fact the Premier has committed that if the Site C project ever becomes a reality (and I doubt it will) it would be a public project done through BC Hydro.

In the grand scheme of things the small run of the river projects are really a drop in the bucket and barely make a dent in BC’s overall power picture. And keep in mind even Run of the River projects only have a lease; they do not own any crown lands whatsoever.

The amount of misinformation that has been put out there about Run of the River projects is staggering; it really is. Basically we have an opportunity to purchase relatively limited amount of BC produced power hopefully in place of Alberta Coal fired power. These small projects put British Columbians to work and in many cases will also provide employment and income for first nations bands; something buying private power from Alberta as we currently do, does nothing to help keep the money in BC.

I find it funny that people in BC have for over a hundred years accepted private companies extracting and processing our forestry and mining resource sectors but for some reason suggest the same thing from our water and suddenly there is Union and socialist induced hysteria.
Back with a vengeance

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”