Sick of NDP attack ads

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by steven lloyd »

logicalview wrote: I posted the first page of the platform where the NDP crew went straight to bashing.
Here I post the next page of the platform, starting again with more Gordon Campbell bashing for your enjoyment.....

http://www.bcndp.ca/files/u108/BCNDP09_Platform_2009-_Final-April9_last3.pdf

Investments, Opportunity and Jobs for the Future

Eight years ago, Gordon Campbell promised British Columbia
prosperity for all. Instead we have seen prosperity for a few
and years of higher costs, job losses and service cuts for the
rest of us.

Gordon Campbell’s arrogance and deliberate neglect is hurting everyday families.
While key public services have been cut and privatized, and the plight of resource communities and
families ignored, Gordon Campbell puts all his energy and your money into a few pet projects that have cost BC taxpayers hundreds of millions in uncontrolled overruns.
British Columbians have said ‘no’ to costly private power projects that drive up Hydro rates and damage rivers. They have said ‘no’ to the privatization of hospitals and highways that means delays and additional costs. But Gordon Campbell persists with the privatization of public resources, services and assets. And he refuses to remove the cloud of corruption that hangs over the privatization of BC Rail. Now, in a period of economic downturn, British Columbians are paying a high price for eight years of Gordon Campbell’s arrogance and neglect. He refused to admit BC was in a recession and that meant he wasn’t prepared for the downturn that the rest of BC could see coming:
• Overruns on projects like the Vancouver Convention Centre and the Olympics meant no
“Rainy Day” fund ready to help troubled communities and industries.
• Gordon Campbell has done nothing to help the growing number of unemployed. In January
and February 2009, BC lost almost 70,000 jobs but he failed to get action from Ottawa to
help families cope.
• During the worst recession in two decades Campbell’s plan triples the gas tax, raises fees
and hydro rates, and cuts important services.
Gordon Campbell is simply out of touch with the times. His plan hurts businesses and average families by raising taxes and spending even more of your money on his pet projects.


Less bashing - more platform please.


You’re right logical, there is too little platform by the NDP (at this time also acknowledging the criticisms put forward by Al) compared with the amount of bashing going on. To be fair to the NDP, however, Gordon Campbell needs to be bashed (preferably in the head with a hammer) and he’s provided (and continues to provide) the bashers with so much material.

I do not support Carol James for Premier. She is too weak as a leader and has no well-defined and articulated vision. That being said, I wish there was a way we could get rid of Gordon Campbell and his criminal cohorts. From the day they took power they’ve been making back room deals and defrauding the tax payers of this province. As long as we continue to elect criminal governments we continue to tell them its okay to screw us. We don’t mind. Go ahead.

I can only hope the current criminal investigations underway lead police to the head of the snake. Campbell needs a new photo op and I’d love to see him being taken away in handcuffs.

I suspect Campbell will receive less of the popular vote than ever before this next election, but because of our electoral system he will still form a majority government and arrogantly proclaim “the people of this province have spoken”.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by steven lloyd »

logicalview wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:Do you have a link for that - or are you just making it up as you go along ?



http://www.whineandbashyourwaytopower.com

http://www.bankrupttheeconomybywantonspending.com


har har - good one

I actually tried following the links and found they went as far as Bellevuejim’s thinking
User avatar
logicalview
Guru
Posts: 9792
Joined: Feb 6th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by logicalview »

steven lloyd wrote:Canada is ranked number three (3) which is obviously higher, but keep in mind we used to be ranked as number one (1) before our social, economic and political policies began shifting toward the right again.


In 2008 there was a standardization of the criteria. That resulted in Canada's most recent 1st place ranking of #1 being some 18 years ago in 1990.
Not afraid to say "It".
Bellevuejim
Fledgling
Posts: 210
Joined: Jan 1st, 2007, 7:11 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by Bellevuejim »

I actually tried following the links and found they went as far as Bellevuejim’s thinking


Not a fan of personal attacks...but whatever.

I am only stating truths. Unions support the NDP for a reason and it is not to eradicate homelessness or provide assisted care to seniors. It is all based on personal greed. When is the last time you saw teachers strike so that they can earn more money to help homeless children? It is pure crap that the unions and the NDP hide behind these causes.

If people want to help fix these issues then they should do so on their own. Maybe Carol James should put her efforts into fund raising for these issues that she claims to be trying to fix. Doing some good might help her rid herself of that permanent, nasty scowl. (come to think of it, i guess we do have something in common!)
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22715
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by Urbane »

    Bellevuejim wrote:I am only stating truths. Unions support the NDP for a reason and it is not to eradicate homelessness or provide assisted care to seniors. It is all based on personal greed. When is the last time you saw teachers strike so that they can earn more money to help homeless children? It is pure crap that the unions and the NDP hide behind these causes.
When have teachers said they are going on strike to help homeless children? Your "greed" comment could apply to anyone. Are you willing, right now, to donate 10% of your salary to help eradicate child hunger or are you greedy?
User avatar
logicalview
Guru
Posts: 9792
Joined: Feb 6th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by logicalview »

Urbane wrote:When have teachers said they are going on strike to help homeless children?



Never. And that's the problem. If they really cared they would.
Not afraid to say "It".
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22715
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by Urbane »

    logicalview wrote:
    Urbane wrote:When have teachers said they are going on strike to help homeless children?



    Never. And that's the problem. If they really cared they would.
Let me get this straight. You are in favour of teachers striking on behalf of homeless children? That would be an illegal strike by the way. Should they picket until all homeless children are in homes? How long would you have the schools closed down? Six days, six weeks, six months, indefinitely? I always thought it was a mistake for teachers to be forced into unions so you might understand why I disagree with your proposal.
Al Czervic
Guru
Posts: 7805
Joined: Nov 29th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by Al Czervic »

Nabcom wrote:
Al, unless I have missed something, to be fair here I saw nothing about "Banning" raw log exports in the NDP platform (I did see an item about "restricting" them however - charging that the Liberals are intent on opening up even more export of raw logs). As usual however just broad and unsupported statements, little detail either way. To be sure, many of these platform items are very carefully worded to avoid actually taking strong sides on issues and taking a chance on alienating any potential voters on either side of the issues.

Nab



That is an excellent point and you are correct. The wording goes indeed leave a fair bit of “wriggle” room for after the fact. In this case raw log exports are already restricted so they could actually do nothing and say they kept a campaign promise in the process.
Back with a vengeance
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by NAB »

Al Czervic wrote:
Nabcom wrote:
Al, unless I have missed something, to be fair here I saw nothing about "Banning" raw log exports in the NDP platform (I did see an item about "restricting" them however - charging that the Liberals are intent on opening up even more export of raw logs). As usual however just broad and unsupported statements, little detail either way. To be sure, many of these platform items are very carefully worded to avoid actually taking strong sides on issues and taking a chance on alienating any potential voters on either side of the issues.

Nab



That is an excellent point and you are correct. The wording goes indeed leave a fair bit of “wriggle” room for after the fact. In this case raw log exports are already restricted so they could actually do nothing and say they kept a campaign promise in the process.


Point being of course, it is a very thinly veiled attack by the NDP against the Liberals - suggesting as in so many other things that they know what the Liberals intend to do before they even produce a campaign policy related to it.

Quite an underhanded tactic really IMO because at this point it is an outright lie, ..but lies are something I have come to expect from within the NDP ranks just as much as I expect them from within the Liberal ranks, so I.... "adjust" ....accordingly LOL.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by steven lloyd »

logicalview wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:Canada is ranked number three (3) which is obviously higher, but keep in mind we used to be ranked as number one (1) before our social, economic and political policies began shifting toward the right again.


In 2008 there was a standardization of the criteria. That resulted in Canada's most recent 1st place ranking of #1 being some 18 years ago in 1990.


Yes, that's pretty consistent with the timing of what I suggested.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22715
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by Urbane »

    Nabcom wrote:Point being of course, it is a very thinly veiled attack by the NDP against the Liberals - suggesting as in so many other things that they know what the Liberals intend to do before they even produce a campaign policy related to it.

    Quite an underhanded tactic really IMO because at this point it is an outright lie, ..but lies are something I have come to expect from within the NDP ranks just as much as I expect them from within the Liberal ranks, so I.... "adjust" ....accordingly LOL.

    Nab
They're all a bunch of schmucks when you come right down to it. They're all using the same textbook on how to be elected and people (some people anyway) are seeing through the lies and distortions. I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for as yet but I will be voting. While we may be disgusted with the tactics we shouldn't give up by failing to exercise our franchise.

I'm going to find it hard to vote for Gordon Campbell and company and I don't want the NDP back in. The riding in which I live will undoubtedly send a Liberal MLA to Victoria regardless of how I vote so I can feel comfortable in registering a protest vote of some sort if I so choose.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by steven lloyd »

Bellevuejim wrote: I am only stating truths. Unions support the NDP for a reason and it is not to eradicate homelessness or provide assisted care to seniors. It is all based on personal greed.


You are not stating a truth. You are stating what you believe to be true. Still, I wouldn't deny unions are at least partially motivated by greed. It does, however, pale to the greed exhibited by bankers, corporations and their political lackies when society's most vulnerable members, including the destitute and poor, working poor and middle class are expected to suffer and bear the burden through economic downturns so that the wealth of the rich can be proteced.
User avatar
logicalview
Guru
Posts: 9792
Joined: Feb 6th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by logicalview »

Urbane wrote:They're all a bunch of schmucks when you come right down to it. They're all using the same textbook on how to be elected and people (some people anyway) are seeing through the lies and distortions.


Ain't that the truth. Wouldn't it be refreshing if a party admitted that they truly are schmucks. I think that I would vote for a confessed schmuck.

Urbane wrote:I'm going to find it hard to vote for Gordon Campbell and company and I don't want the NDP back in. The riding in which I live will undoubtedly send a Liberal MLA to Victoria regardless of how I vote so I can feel comfortable in registering a protest vote of some sort if I so choose.


If you live in my riding, we elected a Liberal to go but she didn't bother to go. She also didn't volunteer to step aside so that we could have representation. Essentially we have been schmuckless for years.
Not afraid to say "It".
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by NAB »

logicalview wrote:
Urbane wrote:They're all a bunch of schmucks when you come right down to it. They're all using the same textbook on how to be elected and people (some people anyway) are seeing through the lies and distortions.


Ain't that the truth. Wouldn't it be refreshing if a party admitted that they truly are schmucks. I think that I would vote for a confessed schmuck.

Urbane wrote:I'm going to find it hard to vote for Gordon Campbell and company and I don't want the NDP back in. The riding in which I live will undoubtedly send a Liberal MLA to Victoria regardless of how I vote so I can feel comfortable in registering a protest vote of some sort if I so choose.


If you live in my riding, we elected a Liberal to go but she didn't bother to go. She also didn't volunteer to step aside so that we could have representation. Essentially we have been schmuckless for years.


Oh how I would like a period of scmucklessness in my riding rather than a period of being represented by a schmuck. Sometimes it is worth considering that no representation at all might possibly be superior to what we have ;-)

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
usquebaugh
Guru
Posts: 8984
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Re: Sick of NDP attack ads

Post by usquebaugh »

You haven't been underrepresented until you've been underrepresented by Schmindi...
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”