Matthew Reed - BC NDP

User avatar
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3171
Joined: May 17th, 2007, 5:22 am

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by hellomynameis »

I think it is the "carry-overs and similarities" that have a lot of people worried.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
User avatar
Phoenix Within
Guru
Posts: 9504
Joined: Jul 24th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by Phoenix Within »

Hellomynameis wrote:I think it is the "carry-overs and similarities" that have a lot of people worried.

Bingo!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Freefalling

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by Freefalling »

Mr.Powell wrote:For theferniefinch:

As a preface, I'm a democratic socialist who'll be spoiling his ballot May 12th. I just wanted to take issue with the carrying on about the NDP record of the 90's, which from what I hear was terrible but honestly I'm not familiar with. The thing is that today's provincial New Democrats are not the same ones that took office in the 90's, just as Ignatieff's Liberals aren't Chretien's Liberals, and Harper's Conservatives aren't Mulroney's Conservatives. There are of course many carry-overs and similarities, but the next time I go to the polls federally I'm not going to paw through McDonough's accomplishments to determine if Layton's fit to lead, just as I wouldn't look at Clark's works to see where James' is going.

I hope that makes sense,
Peace,
Mr.Powell


It totally makes sense, and no vote is ever spoiled :). I agree that they do not have the same people, but would you agree that the fundamentals (the general platform) of the party is still the same? I really like and respect Matthew, I really like and respect a lot of NDP candidates in general beyond this, I have respect for those who want change and who question the norms of society and politics.

I just don't feel their party as a whole recognizes the 'economic' perspective, if you will. I am young, so I do not completely understand the 'real world' yet...I just know that I want our province to be prosperous, our communities to be healthy and our future to be bright. I just can't see that happening under the current economic platform of the NDP. Also, I feel that the attack ads against the BC Liberals don't help me to understand what the NDP's intentions are for this province because I am so lost in negative rhetoric. I wish that they would make more ads about their specific plans on targeted topics, than maybe I would consider the platform...however, at this point, I am not really convinced...
User avatar
Phoenix Within
Guru
Posts: 9504
Joined: Jul 24th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by Phoenix Within »

Rita, Thank you for showing the lack of integrity your husband's campaign has.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
User avatar
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3171
Joined: May 17th, 2007, 5:22 am

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by hellomynameis »

Rita Clarke wrote:May 12th Vote Independent Vote Integrity Vote Fiscal Prudence Vote Community

Elect Alan Clarke "Life Long Conservative-Socred of Kelowna Lake Country"

It's Time For Change!


Wow, the Alan Clarke campaign is dense.

Jo wrote: There has been some bad behaviour in these political threads. It is wise to remember that your identity is not concealed from us. We do see what games are being played, and by whom.

Some commonsense rules:

Don't post promotional posts in another candidate's forum.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Jo
Slot 16
Posts: 22663
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 12:33 pm

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by Jo »

The posts have now been removed, as has the member in question.
User avatar
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3146
Joined: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:38 am

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by Mr Danksworth »

^
I'd love for those games to be made public. Who is behind the A.C spam? I sent an e-mail to A.C yesterday, his reply implied that it is dirty tricks from the NDP/Liberal camp. I smell a fish, I just don't know who's stinky.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Jo
Slot 16
Posts: 22663
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 12:33 pm

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by Jo »

soulra wrote: I sent an e-mail to A.C yesterday, his reply implied that it is dirty tricks from the NDP/Liberal camp


There are no dirty tricks being played (in this particular matter) by the NDP or Liberal parties.
User avatar
damngrumpy
Übergod
Posts: 1714
Joined: Dec 19th, 2005, 11:29 am

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by damngrumpy »

The Al Clarke campaign is behaving the way they always do, take the most combative position and if it backfires blame someone else. They need publicity and name mentions and if the others, the
New Democrats Liberals and conservatives, don't bite they have nothing to work with. Ignore the
silly stuff and debate the rest, Aside from the fringe there has been some good discussion on these
boards. I will support Mr Reed as long as the party positions stay mainstream and inclusive which Mathew has done so far. We need a change, yes but not change merely for change sake. We need
a new direction that is good for the people of BC. I think more politicians need to understand that
the people need to lead the way, and the politicians, provide the support to ensure the right changes are successful. Keep in mind we need positive changes to ensure we maintain a high standard of living, but the changes must not come only at the expense of the lower income groups in this province.
Mr.Powell
Posts: 9
Joined: Nov 5th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by Mr.Powell »

theferniefinch wrote:It totally makes sense, and no vote is ever spoiled . I agree that they do not have the same people, but would you agree that the fundamentals (the general platform) of the party is still the same? I really like and respect Matthew, I really like and respect a lot of NDP candidates in general beyond this, I have respect for those who want change and who question the norms of society and politics.

I just don't feel their party as a whole recognizes the 'economic' perspective, if you will. I am young, so I do not completely understand the 'real world' yet...I just know that I want our province to be prosperous, our communities to be healthy and our future to be bright. I just can't see that happening under the current economic platform of the NDP. Also, I feel that the attack ads against the BC Liberals don't help me to understand what the NDP's intentions are for this province because I am so lost in negative rhetoric. I wish that they would make more ads about their specific plans on targeted topics, than maybe I would consider the platform...however, at this point, I am not really convinced...


I agree that the fundamentals are essentially the same, but then again they're essentially the same as the fundamentals of Doer or Douglas, successful premiers that ran/are running a series of balanced budgets.

Now these other arguments you've brought forward, the current economic platform and the attack ads (the latter a reason I won't be supporting them this time 'round), are open to debate and worthwhile reasons for which to judge Ms.James. I just wanted to point out that not all New Democrats tank economies, though many do, just as not all Conservatives tank economies, though many do (Mulroney, Reagan, Harper, Bush).....

Peace,
Mr.Powell
Russell - Winfield
Posts: 68
Joined: Apr 28th, 2009, 11:56 am

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by Russell - Winfield »

It takes an economist to stand up to an economist

It takes a Conservative to stand up to a Liberal

It takes a socialist to stand up to a socialist

Let's not go back to the have not NDP 90's.

I think BCer's have learned their lessons, about the Socialist NDP.

Experience is the hardest teacher, three terms of NDP, was a very difficult course requirement.

British Columbians needs some non-partisan Independent say in our next Legislative session, only INDEPENDENT type candidates can provide the needed change!
User avatar
usquebaugh
Guru
Posts: 8984
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by usquebaugh »

Russell - Winfield wrote:It takes an economist to stand up to an economist

It takes a Conservative to stand up to a Liberal


It takes a socialist to stand up to a socialist

Let's not go back to the have not NDP 90's.

I think BCer's have learned their lessons, about the Socialist NDP.

Experience is the hardest teacher, three terms of NDP, was a very difficult course requirement.

British Columbians needs some non-partisan Independent say in our next Legislative session, only INDEPENDENT type candidates can provide the needed change!


Do you know that the BC Liberals are roughly at the same spot on the political spectrum as the federal Conservatives? Also the "It takes a socialist to stand up to a socialist" comment is bordering on the ridiculous and is really a strange tautological statement. :137:

Do you have to keep plugging your candidate in the other candidates' threads?
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
User avatar
logicalview
Guru
Posts: 9792
Joined: Feb 6th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by logicalview »

Russell - Winfield wrote:Let's not go back to the have not NDP 90's.

I think BCer's have learned their lessons, about the Socialist NDP.


And we are still paying.

Don't let the James Gang ride again.
Not afraid to say "It".
User avatar
usquebaugh
Guru
Posts: 8984
Joined: Mar 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by usquebaugh »

Go Matthew Reed!!! :thewave: :cheerleader:
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
User avatar
logicalview
Guru
Posts: 9792
Joined: Feb 6th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Re: Matthew Reed - BC NDP

Post by logicalview »

theferniefinch wrote:The NDP Economic Record in the 1990s:

* The NDP came into office in 1991 on a promise of fiscal discipline, low taxes and economic stability. The actual results looked far different:

* After saying they wouldn’t raise taxes during the 1991 election campaign, the NDP raised taxes by nearly $2 billion in their first two years. As a result, by 1994 B.C. had the highest marginal income tax rates in North America.

* From 1994 onward, B.C.’s economic growth performed below the national average nearly every single year. By 1998, B.C. had the worst economy in the country.

* The NDP brought in EIGHT consecutive deficit budgets and doubled the province’s debt. They introduced five debt-management plans over eight years, and missed every single target. As a result, they received two credit rating downgrades during their time in office.

* The total operating debt – the debt accrued through spending on government operations – doubled to over $12 billion in 2000/01. This resulted in a $3.8 billion "structural deficit" left by the NDP in 2001.

* Between 1992 and 2000 B.C. ranked last in private-sector job creation per capita in the country, and suffered the highest unemployment rate of all the Western provinces nearly every year. The unemployment rate reached 10.2 per cent under the NDP with record high unemployment for women and youth.

* Under the NDP, Real Disposable Income dropped every year between 1991 and 1997, and didn’t even return to 1991 levels until 2001.

* Under the 1990s NDP, thousands of British Columbians fled the province. In their last three years of government (1998 to 2000), B.C. lost nearly 45,000 people to other provinces.



Wow.
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “Kelowna-Lake Country”