Tish Lakes - BC NDP

Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Tish Lakes - BC NDP

Post by Glacier »

I cannot support someone with a name like Tish Lakes because it conjures up images in my head my favourite fishing spots - Fish Lakes.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Glacier wrote:I cannot support someone with a name like Tish Lakes because it conjures up images in my head my favourite fishing spots - Fish Lakes.

If Fish Lakes is your favourite fishing spot, then how is the remembrance a bad thing?
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
Grannyr

Post by Grannyr »

How pitiful, cannot support Tish Lakes because of her name? No wonder we get lousy representatives in this Valley! It wouldn't hurt to listen to them all a bit attentively, then you could make an informed choice..but then that's a bit of work isn't it?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Glacier wrote:I cannot support someone with a name like Tish Lakes because it conjures up images in my head my favourite fishing spots - Fish Lakes.

Think of her as Tush Fakes then when you go there it might bring a smile to your face.
Not afraid to say "It".
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

usquebaugh wrote:

If Fish Lakes is your favourite fishing spot, then how is the remembrance a bad thing?

It isn't, but I can't get over how my brain keeps reading her name as Fish Lakes.

P.S. The real reason she won't be getting my vote is I don't live in her riding.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Glacier wrote:
usquebaugh wrote:

It isn't, but I can't get over how my brain keeps reading her name as Fish Lakes.

P.S. The real reason she won't be getting my vote is I don't live in her riding.

I know you don't live in the riding, but you didn't have to say "favourite," or you could have made the sarcasm more apparent. :sillygrin:

I really like that she's an advocate for those fighting to get their Canadian Pension Plan Disability payments!
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
mekathy
Übergod

Post by mekathy »

:dyinglaughing:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I think it's time for another of these:

:sunshine:
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Crying-Angel
Lord of the Board

Post by Crying-Angel »

First, I would like to thank you all for the information provided.
It is because of these issues that she will get my vote. She has worked the front lines of those who have been heard the least in previous governments. The funding cuts to families with disabilities have been devastating.
Hopefully she would bring her knowledge and advocacy skills to try to make changes on the provincial level.

"that the voices of ordinary British Columbians are heard"

To me, this quote is very powerful. She obviously comes from a different mindset which reminds me of this quote...

The best index to a person's character is;
- how they treat people who can't do them any good and...
- how they treat people who can't fight back.

Obviously, this need in her to help those in our society who have the quietest voice and the least amount of public support goes directly to the core of who she is as a person.

Tish is the Executive Director of the Okanagan Advocacy and Resource Society, which provides legal advocacy services, dealing mostly with welfare and tenancy issues. This work inspires Tish to keep pushing to make all government services work from the point of view of the person that walks in the door. She regularly encounters the gap between what services the Campbell Liberals spin as being done and what actually happens. She works with many different groups to lobby for change and believes political activism is an important tool for positive reform.

Operates the Community Mental Health Advocacy Program for individuals with chronic mental illnesses and their families. Most frequent areas of work are: welfare (B.C. Income Assistance), including Persons with Disabilities; tenancy; other income security issues like Canada Pension Plan Disability and other legal information and referral; also referral for community supports.
Sometimes the thoughts in
my head actually get out...

This is rarely a good thing
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

:sunshine:
Last edited by logicalview on May 4th, 2009, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:First, I would like to thank you all for the information provided.
It is because of these issues that she will get my vote. She has worked the front lines of those who have been heard the least in previous governments. The funding cuts to families with disabilities have been devastating.
Hopefully she would bring her knowledge and advocacy skills to try to make changes on the provincial level.

To me, this quote is very powerful. She obviously comes from a different mindset which reminds me of this quote...

The best index to a person's character is;
- how they treat people who can't do them any good and...
- how they treat people who can't fight back.

Obviously, this need in her to help those in our society who have the quietest voice and the least amount of public support goes directly to the core of who she is as a person.

Tish is the Executive Director of the Okanagan Advocacy and Resource Society, which provides legal advocacy services, dealing mostly with welfare and tenancy issues. This work inspires Tish to keep pushing to make all government services work from the point of view of the person that walks in the door. She regularly encounters the gap between what services the Campbell Liberals spin as being done and what actually happens. She works with many different groups to lobby for change and believes political activism is an important tool for positive reform.

Operates the Community Mental Health Advocacy Program for individuals with chronic mental illnesses and their families. Most frequent areas of work are: welfare (B.C. Income Assistance), including Persons with Disabilities; tenancy; other income security issues like Canada Pension Plan Disability and other legal information and referral; also referral for community supports.

I'm glad to hear you feel that way, Elektrik_Sky. :sunshine: Tish will definitely be a wonderful representative for Westside-Kelowna residents.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:

Who are "ordinary British Columbians"? Can Tish define who these "ordinary" people are? Why does she listen only to them? Do they speak to her?

There are plenty of candidates who volunteer and interact in their communities far in excess of Tish.
Not afraid to say "It".
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Meet & Greet - Cornerstone Café

101 - 1180 Sunset Drive, Kelowna (Prospera Place area)

Monday May 4th 2009

10:00 am - 11:00 am

Tish will be at the café to discuss election issues and concerns with café-goers.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Open House: Options for Sexual Health Centre

Tuesday May 5th 2009

7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

New OPT (Options for Sexual Health) Centre on the West Side

107/108 - 3500 Carrington Road

To celebrate the opening of a new OPT Clinic on the West Side
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

NDP'ers a no show and can't even be bothered to respond to an invitation to attend a forum - even if it means that they won't attend.

Debate too hot for many candidates
Daily Courier Staff
2009-04-27

None of the three NDP candidates, Tish Lakes, Tisha Kalmanovitch and Matthew Reed, responded to the invitation.

Guess they didn't feel like listening (or replying) to "ordinary British Columbians".
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “Westside-Kelowna”