Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Postby savvybusinessman » May 16th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Has anyone read the novel that AMC's The Terror is based on? I think the book is also called The Terror but I'm not sure.

Quest likes this post.
savvybusinessman
Fledgling

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby ferri » May 16th, 2018, 2:16 pm

I haven't! But I found it on Amazon! :D

https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Novel-Dan ... bc?ie=UTF8
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

Quest likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 8945 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 16th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Looking at the cover photo and brief description, could this have something to do with Shackleton's voyage?

If yes, the true accounts are spellbinding and need no embellishments, ghostly or otherwise.

Edited to add: sorry if I sounded discouraging, read on, enjoy, and then if the story should it be about Scott or Shackleton, both true accounts are well worth your time. :biggrin:
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill

Quest likes this post.
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1960 posts

Postby savvybusinessman » May 16th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Catsumi wrote:Looking at the cover photo and brief description, could this have something to do with Shackleton's voyage?

If yes, the true accounts are spellbinding and need no embellishments, ghostly or otherwise.

Edited to add: sorry if I sounded discouraging, read on, enjoy, and then if the story should it be about Scott or Shackleton, both true accounts are well worth your time. :biggrin:

It's Sir John Franklin's voyage where two ships disappear as well as the crew for each but maybe a name was changed? I'll have to look into Shackleton, thanks.

Quest likes this post.
savvybusinessman
Fledgling

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 16th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Aaah! That explains it. The photo is so much like Frank Hurley's iconic photo of the Endurance going down.

Thanks for the clarification. See a few posts back where I think I left kudos of Shackleton's heroic trip to Antartica. You will love it, guaranteed.
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill

Quest likes this post.
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Catsumi » May 19th, 2018, 9:13 am

Ever wonder what it would be like to grow up in one of England's most stunning castles with every privilege, cash taps wide open and peeps to do your bidding?

Anthony Russell suthored Outrageous Fortune, Growing Up at Leed's Castle with the main focus being his upbringing by his beloved nanny, and on how Lady Baillie, his fabulously wealthy grandmother held court, just as the Windsor's did. His other granny also had a castle to add variety, although modest by comparison.

It's an interesting insight into life on the other side of the tracks before excruciating taxes ended the era.

Lady Baillie understood that in order to save the castle it could not be passed down as 80% of the value would be taken via the taxman, leaving little to maintain such a place. She gifted castle and funds to England and is now a public property. Google to see how lovely it is. :biggrin:
Winston Churchill

2 people like this post.
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Lady tehMa » May 19th, 2018, 9:21 am

That sounds really interesting :)
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

Quest likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3840 posts

Postby ferri » May 20th, 2018, 1:01 pm

savvybusinessman wrote:Has anyone read the novel that AMC's The Terror is based on? I think the book is also called The Terror but I'm not sure.

I bought this book and I'm really liking it! It's scary but I find myself laughing occasionally. Who knew ship captains had such good vocabularies? [icon_lol2.gif] bleep bleep bleep and then bleep bleep bleep! hahaha
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Miss Muffet » May 28th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Just finished Red Rooster by John Grisham... excellent book

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Miss Muffet

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby KenL » Jun 12th, 2018, 9:27 am

There is an awesome new book out regarding the New World Order and the enormous machine that is in motion to crush freedom and democracy as we know it. It's an entertaining boy-to-man-to-would-be-Emperor that's fun yet serious and very eye-opening. Check out Evil by Nature on Amazon books. Here's the link: Evil by Nature link: www.amazon.com/dp/B07BQGCV5W

Quest likes this post.
KenL

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jun 12th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Life After Doomsday by Bruce D. Clayton.
1980...but a very useful info refresh for the .01% of the population that believes that having no knowledge in this arena is a certain death sentence. You don't have to be a physicist or a genius...it is written in a way that anyone with a less than average IQ can get it. Anyone that can't understand it or understand the magnitude of importance of the material written would be up for a Darwin Award anyway. I do a refresh ever couple of years or so to remind me of things that I should place more energy into and info that I may think is important... but is really not. Because it's a 1980 book...a lot of things in it are no longer all that relevant. Some things in it are more relevant now than at any other time in history.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

Quest likes this post.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 525 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 12th, 2018, 10:13 pm

I just realized I started this thread just shy of 10 years ago :130:
It must be nice to live in an Ivory Tower, where everyone else makes mistakes. I have no idea what an ivory tower looks like.

3 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12636 posts

Postby ferri » Jun 27th, 2018, 2:33 pm

I just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and then The Girl Who Played With Fire and now book #3 The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson Good books! Apparently though the author died not long after handing book 3 but someone else has written 2 more books, The Girl in the Spider's Web and The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz

My question, has anyone read the last two and if so, are they as good as the first 3? :D

Quest likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Quest » Jul 22nd, 2018, 3:57 pm

ferri wrote:I just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and then The Girl Who Played With Fire and now book #3 The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson Good books! Apparently though the author died not long after handing book 3 but someone else has written 2 more books, The Girl in the Spider's Web and The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz

My question, has anyone read the last two and if so, are they as good as the first 3? :D

I started the last one but found it too slow. Could not catch my attention
"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles"

ferri likes this post.
Quest

Liked in: 44 posts

Postby Quest » Jul 22nd, 2018, 4:20 pm

Lately I’m into reading Regency/Victorian Era series. A few good one I like are

- Lady Emily Series
- The Anatomist Wife (Lady Darby)
- Lady Julia Grey
- Kurland St Mary Mysteries

Other mystery books I love are

- Constable Evans
- Hamish Macbeth
- Agatha Raisin

I really like MC Beaton’s books.

I also have read all Jack Reacher’s book (Lee Child). Very good

My all favourites Agatha Christ’s books. Nothing better in my opinion. But keep in mind that, for me, a good story someone has to die [icon_lol2.gif]

10 years a topic still going strong!! That shows you how much books bring us together :smt045
"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles"

ferri likes this post.
Quest

Liked in: 44 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts