Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Postby ferri » May 15th, 2018, 9:34 am

I just finished: The Light of the Fireflies by Paul Pen Wow. This is one of those creepy but not scary books that sticks in your mind for a long time after you read it. :)

NOW I'm reading: Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West by Blaine Harden

Incredible book.
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 8619 posts

Postby savvybusinessman » May 16th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Has anyone read the novel that AMC's The Terror is based on? I think the book is also called The Terror but I'm not sure.
savvybusinessman

Liked in: 18 posts

Postby ferri » May 16th, 2018, 2:16 pm

I haven't! But I found it on Amazon! :D

https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Novel-Dan ... bc?ie=UTF8
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Catsumi » May 16th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Looking at the cover photo and brief description, could this have something to do with Shackleton's voyage?

If yes, the true accounts are spellbinding and need no embellishments, ghostly or otherwise.

Edited to add: sorry if I sounded discouraging, read on, enjoy, and then if the story should it be about Scott or Shackleton, both true accounts are well worth your time. :biggrin:
nothing wrong with being open minded as long as your brains don't fall out.
Catsumi
Übergod

Liked in: 1670 posts

Postby savvybusinessman » May 16th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Catsumi wrote:Looking at the cover photo and brief description, could this have something to do with Shackleton's voyage?

If yes, the true accounts are spellbinding and need no embellishments, ghostly or otherwise.

Edited to add: sorry if I sounded discouraging, read on, enjoy, and then if the story should it be about Scott or Shackleton, both true accounts are well worth your time. :biggrin:

It's Sir John Franklin's voyage where two ships disappear as well as the crew for each but maybe a name was changed? I'll have to look into Shackleton, thanks.
savvybusinessman

Liked in: 18 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 16th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Aaah! That explains it. The photo is so much like Frank Hurley's iconic photo of the Endurance going down.

Thanks for the clarification. See a few posts back where I think I left kudos of Shackleton's heroic trip to Antartica. You will love it, guaranteed.
Catsumi
Übergod

Postby Catsumi » May 19th, 2018, 9:13 am

Ever wonder what it would be like to grow up in one of England's most stunning castles with every privilege, cash taps wide open and peeps to do your bidding?

Anthony Russell suthored Outrageous Fortune, Growing Up at Leed's Castle with the main focus being his upbringing by his beloved nanny, and on how Lady Baillie, his fabulously wealthy grandmother held court, just as the Windsor's did. His other granny also had a castle to add variety, although modest by comparison.

It's an interesting insight into life on the other side of the tracks before excruciating taxes ended the era.

Lady Baillie understood that in order to save the castle it could not be passed down as 80% of the value would be taken via the taxman, leaving little to maintain such a place. She gifted castle and funds to England and is now a public property. Google to see how lovely it is. :biggrin:

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Catsumi
Übergod

Postby Lady tehMa » May 19th, 2018, 9:21 am

That sounds really interesting :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3706 posts

Postby ferri » May 20th, 2018, 1:01 pm

savvybusinessman wrote:Has anyone read the novel that AMC's The Terror is based on? I think the book is also called The Terror but I'm not sure.

I bought this book and I'm really liking it! It's scary but I find myself laughing occasionally. Who knew ship captains had such good vocabularies? [icon_lol2.gif] bleep bleep bleep and then bleep bleep bleep! hahaha
ferri
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts